Commutation of time derrivative

In summary, the conversation discusses the commutation relations for a Klein-Gordon field and its derivative. The commutator should not vanish in general, but for the Klein-Gordon field, the commutation relations are known and involve the delta function and the derivative operator. The formula for the commutator between a field and a function of that field is also mentioned.
Abigale
Hi I regard,

$$[\partial_t \Psi, \Psi]=0$$
but [itex]\Psi[/itex] is a field-operator.

I don't understand why the commutation of the derrivative of the operator [itex]\Psi[/itex] by itself should be zero?
THX

Physics news on Phys.org
Abigale said:
I don't understand why the commutation of the derrivative of the operator [itex]\Psi[/itex] by itself should be zero?

Could you provide a little more context? The commutator shouldn't vanish in general. For example if ##\Psi## is a (free) real Klein Gordon field then from the canonical commutation relations we have ##[\Psi(x,t), \partial_t \Psi (x',t)] = i\delta^{3}(x - x')## so clearly they don't commute in this case.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
I regard a Klein-Gordon-field. But for the Klein-Gordon-Field, the commutation-relation is $$ [\Psi^\dagger (x,t), \partial_t \Psi (x',t)] = -i\hbar\delta(r-r')$$
I even know that: $$ [\Psi^\dagger(x,t), \Psi (x',t)] = 0$$
and $$ [\partial_t\Psi^\dagger(x,t), \partial_t \Psi (x',t)] = 0$$

and for sure $$ [\partial_t\Psi^\dagger(x,t), \Psi (x',t)] =-i\hbar\delta(r-r') $$
Maybe with the formula:
$$[A,f(B)]=i \frac{d}{dB} f(B)$$ ?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you're asking. If you're talking about complex Klein Gordon fields as opposed to real Klein Gordon fields then ##[\varphi, \pi^{\dagger}] = [\varphi, \partial_t \varphi] = 0## is a trivial statement of second quantization; ##\varphi## and ##\varphi^{\dagger}## are regarded as independent fields and ##\pi^{\dagger} = \partial_t \varphi## is the conjugate momentum of ##\varphi^{\dagger}## not that of ##\varphi##.

1. What is commutation of time derivative?

Commutation of time derivative refers to the operation of exchanging the order of differentiation and integration with respect to time in a mathematical equation.

2. Why is commutation of time derivative important?

Commutation of time derivative is important because it allows us to effectively solve differential equations and understand the behavior of dynamic systems.

3. How is commutation of time derivative used in scientific research?

Commutation of time derivative is used in scientific research to model and analyze various physical phenomena, such as motion, growth, and decay, by describing their rates of change over time.

4. What are some common applications of commutation of time derivative?

Some common applications of commutation of time derivative include predicting weather patterns, modeling population growth, and understanding the behavior of chemical reactions.

5. Are there any limitations to using commutation of time derivative?

Yes, there are some limitations to using commutation of time derivative. In some cases, the order of differentiation and integration cannot be exchanged, and in certain situations, the results may not accurately reflect the real-world behavior of a system.