Solving for Velocity as a function of height (y) with quadratic drag

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation of motion for a baseball subject to quadratic drag during its downward journey and determining the speed of the ball when it returns to the ground. The solution involves setting up an integral and solving for the velocity as a function of y. However, there is a discrepancy in the solution when substituting in the value for ymax, leading to imaginary solutions. Suggestions for solving the problem include reworking the equations and assuming a solution of the form y=a-be^{kt}.
Yosty22

Homework Statement

Write down the equation of motion for the downward journey of a baseball subject to quadratic drag. Find v as a function of y and, given that the downward journey starts at ymax (given below), show that the speed when the ball returns to the ground is:

vterv0 / sqrt(vter2 + v02)

Homework Equations

From a previous problem I worked out, I proved: ymax = (vter2/2g)*ln(1+(v02[/sub]/vter2))

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up the equation of motion as mdv/dt = -cv2 + mg. Vter occurs when the two forces balance, so solving for c in terms of vter, I get c = mg/vter2.

Substituting in for c, cancelling out the mass terms and factoring out a g, I get:

dv/dt = g(1-(v2/vter2)).

Then, dv/dt = v dv/dy (since I want v as a function of y), I can set up the integral.

v*dv/dy = g(1-(v2/vter2))

Then, I can multiply the dy over to the other side and divide everything in the parenthesis over to the left hand side and integrate the left hand side from 0 to V. Since it starts from rest at the top of its journey, V corresponds to the speed of the ball at the bottom when it hits the ground.

Solving the integrals, I get:

-vter/2 * ln(1-(V2/vter2)) = gy

However, trying to solve for V gives me imaginary solutions..

What am I doing wrong here? I checked other online sources for some help to see where I could have possibly gone wrong, and my solution so far agrees with what other online sources have. I went online to look for solutions to where I am getting stuck, and I stumbled upon this site:

http://physics.ucsd.edu/students/courses/fall2009/managed/physics110a/documents/Solution2.pdf

If you scroll down to question 2.42, you see them get to the same solution I did (even though I did some more work to get there it seems), but they substitute ymax in for y. However, when they make the substitution, they only have one factor of vter in the coefficient before the natural log term even though ymax depends on vter2. I worked this problem out on my own and got to exactly where they did, but Why could they just get rid of one term of vter? If I plug in the ymax equation, I get:

-ln(1-(V2/vter2)) = vter*ln(1+(v02/vter2))

What happened here or where did I go wrong along the way?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yosty22 said:
v*dv/dy = g(1-(v2/vter2))

Then, I can multiply the dy over to the other side and divide everything in the parenthesis over to the left hand side and integrate the left hand side from 0 to V. Since it starts from rest at the top of its journey, V corresponds to the speed of the ball at the bottom when it hits the ground.

You miss a square. It is -vter2/2 * ln(1-(V2/vter2)) = gy

ehild

Yosty22 said:

However, trying to solve for V gives me imaginary solutions..

Should the right hand side be g(y-y0)?
You've got the right ideas of how to solve this.
Usually I have to rework these a few different times until I get it right.
You could also try assuming a solution of some form, my guess would be [itex]y=a-be^{kt}[/itex].
and use y(0)=y0, v(0)=0, a(0)=-mg to find a,b and k.

1. What is the equation for solving for velocity as a function of height with quadratic drag?

The equation is v(y) = sqrt((2mg)/(ρACd)) * tanh(sqrt((gρACd)/(2m)) * y), where v is velocity, m is mass, g is gravitational acceleration, ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and Cd is the drag coefficient.

2. How is quadratic drag different from linear drag?

Quadratic drag takes into account the square of the velocity, while linear drag only considers the velocity. This means that quadratic drag has a more significant impact on the object's acceleration and velocity compared to linear drag.

3. Can this equation be used for all objects in a fluid?

No, this equation is specifically for objects moving through a fluid with quadratic drag. Different objects and fluids may have different drag coefficients and cross-sectional areas, which would require a different equation for solving for velocity as a function of height.

4. How does changing the mass or cross-sectional area affect the velocity as a function of height?

Increasing the mass or cross-sectional area will result in a decrease in the velocity as a function of height. This is because more massive or larger objects will experience more drag, slowing down their velocity.

5. Is there a way to simplify this equation for easier use?

Yes, for objects with a low drag coefficient, the equation can be simplified to v(y) = sqrt((2mg)/ρ) * tanh(sqrt((gρ)/(2m)) * y). This can make calculations easier, but it may not accurately represent objects with higher drag coefficients.