Register to reply

Coherent state between a fermion and a photon

by sugeet
Tags: coherent, fermion, photon, state
Share this thread:
sugeet
Sep16-13, 12:01 AM
P: 54
Can we have a coherent state between a fermion and a photon! I mean can there ever be a fermionic polariton?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New complex oxides could advance memory devices
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)
Zarqon
Sep16-13, 04:16 AM
P: 231
You may have to clarify your question a bit. Imagine a simple atomic system with one electron in a magnetic field. The photon can interact with the system by flipping the electrons spin from down to up, total change of spin by 1, but the electron remains a fermion. What situation were you thinking of? What part of the system should be fermionic?
sugeet
Sep16-13, 07:30 AM
P: 54
Thank you Zarqon for replying, I did some search and got my answer.
The Wiki page says :"The polariton is a bosonic quasiparticle, and should not be confused with the polaron, a fermionic one, e.g. an electron plus attached phonon cloud. ".

Precisely something I was looking for, if you are still interested we can discuss

DrDu
Sep16-13, 08:43 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,633
Coherent state between a fermion and a photon

Note also that you cannot have a superposition of states with an even and odd number of fermions.
This is calles univalence superselection rule. It is easiest to see from the fact that such a superposition is not invariant (not even up to a phase) under a rotation by 2π.

Register to reply