Wave on a string general theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the movement of a wave on a string and the direction of movement for different points on the string. The points A and D are at rest, B and C are moving downward, and E and F are moving upward. The conversation also mentions a previous problem about the accelerations at different points on the string, with C having the greatest acceleration and F having the least. However, there is confusion about the direction of movement at points B and E.
ObviousManiac

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-02-22at65311PM.png

The figure shows a wave on a string moving to the right. For each of the points indicated on the string, A-F, state whether it is moving:
I. upward,
II. downward,
III. instantaneously at rest.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I got A and D as (III), B and C as (II), and E F as (I).

According to the answer, my B-C and E-F is mixed up, but I'm not sure why. How is it moving upward at B? Downward at E? I'm sure I'm just missing something simple.

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, it asks "In the previous problem, which points have the greatest and least accelerations?"

I'm kinda lost there, but my guess would be C (greatest?) and F (least?)

What is a wave on a string?

A wave on a string is a type of mechanical wave that travels through a medium, such as a string or rope. It is characterized by its ability to transfer energy without transferring matter.

What is the general theory behind a wave on a string?

The general theory behind a wave on a string involves the principles of wave mechanics, including the concepts of wavelength, amplitude, frequency, and velocity. It also takes into account the properties of the string, such as tension and density, which affect the behavior of the wave.

How is the velocity of a wave on a string determined?

The velocity of a wave on a string is determined by the tension and density of the string, as well as the wavelength and frequency of the wave. It can be calculated using the formula v = √(T/μ), where v is the velocity, T is the tension, and μ is the linear mass density of the string.

What factors affect the amplitude of a wave on a string?

The amplitude of a wave on a string can be affected by the energy of the source, the distance from the source, and any obstacles or boundaries the wave encounters. It can also be affected by the properties of the string, such as tension and density.

How does a wave on a string behave at different boundaries?

A wave on a string will behave differently at different boundaries, depending on the type of boundary. At an open boundary, the wave will be reflected with no phase change. At a fixed boundary, the wave will be reflected with a phase change of 180 degrees. At a free boundary, the wave will be reflected with no phase change, but will also have a reflected wave travelling in the opposite direction.