Direction of motion of points on a rope as a wave travels

In summary, the second diagram is an attempt at the solution to the wave equation. The dotted line is the pulse in the rope a very small interval of time after 0. Point A should be at rest since we know wave is moving towards right and point A on the rope becomes a part of initial horizontal part of the string a moment after 0. Points B and C will be moving vertically down at 0.
vcsharp2003
Homework Statement
A rope RS has a pulse at ##t=0## traveling towards the right at ##1 m/s## as shown in the first diagram below.
What will be the direction of motion of points A, B and C at ##t=0##?
Relevant Equations
None
The second diagram is my attempt at the solution, in which the dotted part is the pulse in the rope a very small interval of time after ##t=0##.

Point A should be at rest since we know wave is moving towards right and point A on the rope becomes a part of initial horizontal part of the string a moment after ##t=0##.

I am still trying to figure out the reasoning behind the direction of motion of points B and C.

IMG_20220217_135236__01.jpg

IMG_20220217_135405__01.jpg

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Your diagram is good, making it quite easy to see where B and C have moved to on the dotted line. Try marking them as B', C'.

Likes vcsharp2003 and Delta2
haruspex said:
Your diagram is good, making it quite easy to see where B and C have moved to on the dotted line. Try marking them as B', C'.

I am assuming that the length of rope from point ##R## upto points ##A, B, C## will be a constant for each point in question i.e. lengths ##RA, RB, RC## are going to be constant. We can also say that ## RA=RA'##,
## RB=RB'## and ## RC=RC'##.

With above assumption, I came up with following diagram for new positions ##A', B', C'##. It seems as the interval of time for dotted wave approaches ##0##, ##B'## approaches a position vertically under ##B##; similar reasoning will apply to ##C'##.

So, points ##A, B## will be moving vertically down at ##t=0##.

IMG_20220217_150510.jpg

haruspex said:

If my reasoning in post#3 is correct, then is there
an alternate easier/shorter reasoning?

vcsharp2003 said:
I am assuming that the length of rope from point ##R## upto points ##A, B, C## will be a constant for each point in question i.e. lengths ##RA, RB, RC## are going to be constant. We can also say that ## RA=RA'##,
## RB=RB'## and ## RC=RC'##.

With above assumption, I came up with following diagram for new positions ##A', B', C'##. It seems as the interval of time for dotted wave approaches ##0##, ##B'## approaches a position vertically under ##B##; similar reasoning will apply to ##C'##.

So, points ##A, B## will be moving vertically down at ##t=0##.

View attachment 297221

Again, your diagram is good, though in the usual idealisation of a transverse wave the elements do not undergo any longitudinal movement. That also leads to the answer you arrived at.

Likes vcsharp2003 and Delta2
haruspex said:
In the usual idealisation of a transverse wave the elements do not undergo any longitudinal movement.
Can we conclude based on this fact the directions (either up or down) of the points? For a shorter reasoning, we can say that a rope always has a transverse wave and therefore points on it will move perpendicular to the direction of travel of the wave. But, how do we now say that the correct direction is either up or down?

Likes Delta2
vcsharp2003 said:
For a shorter reasoning, we can say that a rope always has a transverse wave and therefore points on it will move perpendicular to the direction of travel of the wave. But, how do we now say that the correct direction is either up or down?
That won't do it because the direction of the wave matters.

Likes vcsharp2003
vcsharp2003 said:
So, points A,B will be moving vertically down at t=0.
Sorry, the above statement should be as below.

So, points ##B, C## will be moving vertically down at ##t=0##.

Note: I could not edit my post#3 and therefore, I am posting a correction here for others.

1. What causes the points on a rope to move in a wave motion?

The movement of points on a rope in a wave motion is caused by a disturbance or energy being transferred through the rope. This can be from a force applied at one end of the rope or from a source of energy, such as wind or sound waves.

2. Does the direction of motion of points on a rope change as the wave travels?

Yes, the direction of motion of points on a rope changes as the wave travels. As the wave travels, the points on the rope move up and down or side to side, depending on the type of wave. This is known as the transverse motion of a wave.

3. Can the direction of motion of points on a rope be controlled?

The direction of motion of points on a rope can be influenced, but it is ultimately determined by the properties of the wave and the medium it is traveling through. For example, the direction of motion can be changed by changing the frequency or amplitude of the wave, or by changing the tension or density of the rope.

4. How does the direction of motion of points on a rope affect the speed of the wave?

The direction of motion of points on a rope does not affect the speed of the wave. The speed of a wave is determined by the properties of the medium it is traveling through, such as the density and elasticity of the rope. The direction of motion only determines the shape and behavior of the wave.

5. Is the direction of motion of points on a rope the same for all types of waves?

No, the direction of motion of points on a rope can vary depending on the type of wave. For transverse waves, the points on the rope move perpendicular to the direction of the wave's motion. For longitudinal waves, the points on the rope move parallel to the direction of the wave's motion. Other types of waves, such as surface waves, have a combination of both transverse and longitudinal motion.