Solving an Integral with Integration by Parts

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an integral of ln(x + c)dx using integration by parts. The solution is (c + x)*ln(c + x) - x, which can be verified by differentiating the answer.
fredgarvin22
hello

could someone give me a pointer here.

this integral
∫ln(x + c)dx

my guess is, by integration by parts
(ab)' = a'b + ab'
∫ba = ab - ∫b'a

so here
a = ln(c + x) b = c + x
a' = 1/(c + x) b' = 1

ab = (c + x)*ln(c + x)
and
∫b'a = ∫ ((c + x)/(hc + x)) dx
= ∫dx = x
so ab - ∫b'a = (c + x)*ln(c + x) - x

would this be correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you messed up a little bit in your re-writting the problem, but the answer (c + x)*ln(c + x) - x is correct. When it comes to integrals, you can always verify your answer by differentiating your answer. If it gives the integrand, you've got the right answer. If not, there's a mistake.

Yes, your approach is correct. To solve this integral using integration by parts, you can choose a = ln(c + x) and b = c + x, which gives you a' = 1/(c + x) and b' = 1. Then using the formula for integration by parts, you can evaluate the integral as (c + x)*ln(c + x) - ∫(c + x)(1/(c + x))dx = (c + x)*ln(c + x) - x + C. So, your final answer is (c + x)*ln(c + x) - x + C. I hope this helps!

What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a mathematical technique used to solve integrals that involve products of functions. It involves breaking down the integral into smaller, simpler parts and using a specific formula to solve it.

When should integration by parts be used?

Integration by parts should be used when the integral involves a product of functions and it is not possible to use other techniques such as substitution or partial fractions.

What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u(x)v(x)dx = u(x)∫v(x)dx - ∫u'(x)∫v(x)dx

How do you choose which function to use as u and which to use as v?

The choice of u and v depends on the type of integral. Generally, u should be chosen as the function that becomes simpler when differentiated and v should be chosen as the function that can be easily integrated.

Can integration by parts be used multiple times on the same integral?

Yes, integration by parts can be used multiple times on the same integral if necessary. This is known as the integration by parts rule, which states that if the integral can be written as a product of two functions, then integration by parts can be applied repeatedly until the integral is solvable.