Why does everything achieves to reach equilibrium?

• Thread starter Skhandelwal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary: According to the second law of thermodynamics, entropy (or disorder) tends to increase overall. In statistical thermodynamics, entropy is shown proportional to the logarithm of accessible states of the system. (By a particular state one might mean one of all possible arrangements of quantum numbers comprising a system at a given time.) These first two sentences are equivalent to saying that the number of states available in a system tends to increase.If we had continually exact knowledge of a system, the entropy measured might appear not to change. However, quantum mechanics tells us that to participate in a system disturbs a system, generating randomness. It is a lot easier to view salt
Skhandelwal
I don't get this...Why does everything tries to move to settle equilibrium? I thought, to move, you need energy. Or is it like everything is compressed and setting up equilibrium is bassically being released from the compression?

Thx.

Physics news on Phys.org
Systems in nature like to reach states of minimum total energy. This thing we call equilibrium is the name for a state of minimum energy.

EDIT: I just realized that I was posting in another thread with both of you. Deja Vu!:smile:

Last edited:
G01 said:
Systems in nature like to reach states of minimum total energy. This thing we call equilibrium is the name for a state of minimum energy.

GO1 saves the day again! yea it is the same theroy

G01 said:

OK... but energy is convserved, yes? So if one system reaches a state of miimum total energy, some other system increases its energy...

I know what you mean, GO1 - but I'm just feeling in a nit-picking mood as to whether this "explains" why things are the way they are.

Most mainstream physics doesn't even attempt to explain "why" - it stops at describing "what".

G01 said:

EDIT: I just realized that I was posting in another thread with both of you. Deja Vu!:smile:

But that doesn't say WHY the "like to reach states of minimum total energy"!

Look at the definition of "equilibrium" (of any kind). When something is in equilibrium, it, by definition, stays there. If it is not in equilibrium, it keeps "moving". Sooner or later it will, perhaps entirely by chance, hit an equilibrium and stay there. Eventually, everything will have stumbled upon an equilibrium.

AlephZero said:
OK... but energy is convserved, yes? So if one system reaches a state of miimum total energy, some other system increases its energy...

I know what you mean, GO1 - but I'm just feeling in a nit-picking mood as to whether this "explains" why things are the way they are.

Most mainstream physics doesn't even attempt to explain "why" - it stops at describing "what".

HallsofIvy said:
But that doesn't say WHY the "like to reach states of minimum total energy"!

Look at the definition of "equilibrium" (of any kind). When something is in equilibrium, it, by definition, stays there. If it is not in equilibrium, it keeps "moving". Sooner or later it will, perhaps entirely by chance, hit an equilibrium and stay there. Eventually, everything will have stumbled upon an equilibrium.

OK, what I said doesn't describe why systems tend to equilibrium, but I felt like trying anyway! I guess should have quit while I was on top.:smile:

According to the second law of thermodynamics, entropy (or disorder) tends to increase overall. In statistical thermodynamics, entropy is shown proportional to the logarithm of accessible states of the system. (By a particular state one might mean one of all possible arrangements of quantum numbers comprising a system at a given time.) These first two sentences are equivalent to saying that the number of states available in a system tends to increase.

If we had continually exact knowledge of a system, the entropy measured might appear not to change. However, quantum mechanics tells us that to participate in a system disturbs a system, generating randomness. It is a lot easier to view salt and pepper segregated in their respective shakers than separate them, mixed in a pile, by observation.

but, nothing that I know of is in 'true equilibrium'---you have to go into 'reference frames' to get close, I believe.

But why does the entropy increase? And what is entropy?(is it state of universe(increasing meaning it is expanding) and time?)

Skhandelwal said:
But why does the entropy increase? And what is entropy?(is it state of universe(increasing meaning it is expanding) and time?)

Have you looked around the web for some explanations yet?

eg

http://www.entropylaw.com/

1. Why does everything eventually reach equilibrium?

Everything in the universe is constantly in motion and interacting with each other. When there is an imbalance in a system, it will naturally try to reach a state of balance or equilibrium in order to minimize energy and maintain stability.

2. What factors contribute to an object reaching equilibrium?

The factors that contribute to an object reaching equilibrium include the laws of thermodynamics, which govern how energy is transferred and transformed, and the physical properties of the object such as its mass, temperature, and composition.

3. How does equilibrium affect systems?

Equilibrium is important for the stability and functioning of systems. In a state of equilibrium, the system is balanced and there are no net forces or changes occurring. This allows for efficient energy transfer and maintenance of the system's properties.

4. Is equilibrium always achieved?

In ideal conditions, yes, equilibrium will eventually be achieved. However, external factors such as external forces or changes in the system can prevent equilibrium from being reached. Additionally, systems may reach a state of dynamic equilibrium where there is constant movement and energy transfer, but overall there is no net change.

5. How does the concept of equilibrium apply to everyday life?

The concept of equilibrium can be seen in many aspects of everyday life, from the balance of ecosystems to the way our bodies maintain a stable internal environment. It also applies to chemical reactions, economic systems, and even relationships between people. Understanding equilibrium can help us predict and manage changes in these systems.