Center of Gravity/Torque problem

• Thread starter adamwhite
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Center
In summary, the beam is supported by three ropes and a 700N person is 5m from the left end. The tension in each rope is found to be 501N and 672N, respectively.
adamwhite

Homework Statement

A uniform plank of length 2.00m and mass 30.0 kg is supported by three ropes. Find the tension in each rope when a 700N person is 5m from the left end.

Here's the diagram of the problem:
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/3752/torquere9.png

Homework Equations

[tex]\tau[/tex] = rfsin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure where to start or what to do except I'm pretty sure that
[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]\tau[/tex] = 0

thanks for helping out :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by splitting the Tension at 40 degrees into vertical and horizontal components. Then consider what the forces mean if the object is in equilibrium

[tex]\sum[/tex]F = 0 if it is in equilibrium. I'm still lost :(. I don't know how to find the forces except the two I already have.

Initially, set your pivot somewhere so that you only have one variable to worry about.

Thanks :) I was thinking the pivot was in the middle for some reason =\ . Well I got T1 (501N) I know that's correct because I checked in the back. Now I just need the other two.

The beam has to be in rotational equilibrium as well as in static equilibrium, so the sum of the forces has to equal zero.

I got T2, 672N, but now I'm not quite sure how to get T3. To find T2 I did:

[tex]\sum[/tex]T = (1.5)(700) + (30 * 9.8) - 2T[tex]_{2}[/tex] = 0

I also did that (but a little different) to find T1. The angle for T3 is 180 so to me it seems like there would be no force, but the book says it is 384N

Edit: I just read the last post, I think I'll be able to find T3 in a minute. :)

Edit: Yep, I got it.

[tex]\sum[/tex]F = 0 = 501cos40 - T2

Thanks for the tips, and thanks for not solving it all for me it really helped me out :)

Last edited:
If T3 was 0, then the horizontal component of the force of T1 would force the beam to the right and the system would not be in static equilibrium.

You solve rotational equilibrium aspects of the system using torques, and you solve static equilibrium aspects of the system using forces.

Snazzy, do you have AIM by any chance? I have another problem that I'm too stupid to figure out and it would be awesome if you could help. I was gone from school for a week but I have to turn this all in on Monday and I just have a couple questions. :)

I don't have AIM but you can just post here or PM me.

1. What is the center of gravity?

The center of gravity (COG) is the point at which the entire weight of an object is concentrated. It is the point at which an object will balance in all directions.

2. How is the center of gravity determined?

The center of gravity can be determined by finding the weighted average of the individual weights and positions of all the components of an object. It can also be determined experimentally by balancing the object and marking the point at which it balances.

3. What is the significance of the center of gravity?

The center of gravity is significant because it determines the stability of an object. If the COG is located within the base of support, the object will be stable. If the COG falls outside of the base of support, the object will be unstable and may topple over.

4. What is the difference between center of gravity and center of mass?

The center of gravity refers to the point at which an object's weight is evenly distributed in all directions, while the center of mass refers to the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed. In most cases, the COG and COM are at the same point, but in some cases, such as when an object has an uneven density, they may differ.

5. How does torque affect an object's center of gravity?

Torque is the measure of the turning force on an object. If an external force is applied to an object, it can cause the object's COG to shift. This shift in COG can affect the object's stability and may cause it to topple over if the COG falls outside of the base of support.