Basic torque/static equilibrium problem

In summary, the question is about an object in static equilibrium with a net force of 0N and a net torque of 0Nm. The question asks why the tension in the rope does not apply as torque in this problem, even though it does in pulley problems. The answer is that torque is only meaningful in respect to a specified axis, and in this case, the axis is at the pivot point where the rope is attached. The tension does not provide torque at this point, but the weight of the beam and the pivot force do. The questioner also confirms that an object in static equilibrium will have a net torque of 0 given any coordinate system, and the responder suggests reading an article about frequently made errors in mechanics.
epiccy

Homework Statement

upload_2017-7-16_15-16-11.png

Homework Equations

sum of forces = 0N
sum of torque = 0Nm

The Attempt at a Solution

Net force has to be already zero (T = mg). But, the torque isn't zero, otherwise this question would have another answer choice. But the gravitational torque should cancel with the tension torque right?

I looked at the answer and it says "the tension does not exert a torque." But, I've done so many of those pulley problems with pulleys w/ masses using forces and torque in which there are two tensions in the rope and the torque is (T1-T2) = I*alpha.

Why does the tension not apply in this problem as torque but does in the pulley problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
epiccy said:
the tension does not exert a torque.
Torque is (nearly) always only meaningful in respect of a specified axis. A force exerts a torque about any axis that is not in its line of action. So the tension in the rope exerts a torque about the pivot, a different torque about the mass centre, but no torque about the point where it is tied to the beam.

Likes epiccy
haruspex said:
Torque is (nearly) always only meaningful in respect of a specified axis. A force exerts a torque about any axis that is not in its line of action. So the tension in the rope exerts a torque about the pivot, a different torque about the mass centre, but no torque about the point where it is tied to the beam.

The answer says that the tension doesn't provide torque though. I understand that it doesn't provide torque if the axis was at the place where the rope touched the plank, but the key says that it doesn't provide torque even if the axis was the pivot. If it did provide torque, the net torque would be 0Nm since r = r and T = mg. Why is there no torque by the tension w/ the axis as the pivot?

thanks

epiccy said:
the key says that it doesn't provide torque even if the axis was the pivot.
Well, that is simply not true. Are you sure it explicitly says that, or does it merely omit to say which axis it is using?
Can you post the whole solution text, maybe as an image?

Likes epiccy
haruspex said:
Well, that is simply not true. Are you sure it explicitly says that, or does it merely omit to say which axis it is using?
Can you post the whole solution text, maybe as an image?

I think I might've misunderstood the answer sheet, but I still don't get it:

upload_2017-7-16_15-38-2.png

If the axis was the place where the rope touched the plank, then tension torque would cancel with the grav torque. But the axis is the pivot.

epiccy said:
But the axis is the pivot.
No, it quite clearly says it is taking the point where the rope attaches to the beam as the axis.
"Consider the torque about the point where the rope is attached. The tension provides no torque [there]. ... the pivot force must exert a clockwise torque [there]."

haruspex said:
No, it quite clearly says it is taking the point where the rope attaches to the beam as the axis.
"Consider the torque about the point where the rope is attached. The tension provides no torque [there]. ... the pivot force must exert a clockwise torque [there]."
But then... wouldn't the gravitational torque also be 0 since r = 0? Neither the tension or weight forces would apply torque.. I'm so confused...

epiccy said:
But then... wouldn't the gravitational torque also be 0 since r = 0? Neither the tension or weight forces would apply torque.. I'm so confused...
No. Call the pivot point P and the rope attachment point R. The beam need not be uniform, so let its mass centre be at G. Say the force at the pivot is F. Moments about R are:
  • Zero for the tension
  • Mg x GR anticlockwise for the weight of the beam
  • F x PR for pivot force.

haruspex said:
No. Call the pivot point P and the rope attachment point R. The beam need not be uniform, so let its mass centre be at G. Say the force at the pivot is F. Moments about R are:
  • Zero for the tension
  • Mg x GR anticlockwise for the weight of the beam
  • F x PR for pivot force.

Yeah, I'm officially dumb. I completely forgot about center of gravity...

epiccy said:
Yeah, I'm officially dumb. I completely forgot about center of gravity...
So is it all clear now?

Likes Vibhor
haruspex said:
So is it all clear now?

Yup, it's all good. Thanks for the help!

Quick confirmation: an object in static equilibrium will have a net torque of 0 given ANY coordinate system, right?

epiccy said:
Yup, it's all good. Thanks for the help!

Quick confirmation: an object in static equilibrium will have a net torque of 0 given ANY coordinate system, right?
Yes.
And note I wrote that "Torque is (nearly) always only meaningful in respect of a specified axis." The exception is when you have a couple (aka a screw). This is a system forces with no net force and yet a net moment. The simplest is two equal and opposite forces with different lines of action. In this case, the torque is the same about whatever axis you choose.

You might find it useful to read my article https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/frequently-made-errors-mechanics-moments/.

haruspex said:
Yes.
And note I wrote that "Torque is (nearly) always only meaningful in respect of a specified axis." The exception is when you have a couple (aka a screw). This is a system forces with no net force and yet a net moment. The simplest is two equal and opposite forces with different lines of action. In this case, the torque is the same about whatever axis you choose.

You might find it useful to read my article https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/frequently-made-errors-mechanics-moments/.

Thanks. I'll give that a read :)

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the tendency of a force to rotate an object about an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force.

What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced and the object is not moving or rotating. This can also be referred to as mechanical equilibrium.

How do you calculate torque?

To calculate torque, you need to know the magnitude of the force and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force. The formula for torque is torque = force x distance.

What is the difference between clockwise and counterclockwise torque?

Clockwise torque is a rotational force that causes an object to rotate in a clockwise direction, while counterclockwise torque causes an object to rotate in a counterclockwise direction. The direction of torque depends on the direction in which the force is applied and the position of the axis of rotation.

How do you determine if an object is in static equilibrium?

An object is in static equilibrium if the sum of all forces acting on the object is equal to zero and the sum of all torques acting on the object is also equal to zero. This means that the object is not moving or rotating and all forces are balanced.