Sun-synchronous orbit: Implication on the orbit's inclination

In summary, the launch of a satellite into a circular sun-synchronous orbit at a height of 900km above Earth's surface results in a change of the orbit's inclination of approximately -103.251 degrees per day and a change of the position of the right ascension of the ascending node of approximately 0.9863 radians per revolution.
Paul Gray

Homework Statement

A satellite is launched into a circular sun-synchronous orbit at a height of 900km above Earth's surface. What is the implication on the orbit's inclination (in [itex]deg[/itex]) and on the change of the position of the right ascension of the ascending node per day.

Homework Equations

The change of the right ascension of the ascending node is defined as:
[tex]\Delta\Omega = - \frac{3\pi J_2 R^2_E}{a^2(1-\epsilon^2)^2}\cos i \text{ [rad/rev]}[/tex]
and the change of the argument of perigee is defined as
[tex]\Delta\omega = - \frac{3\pi J_2 R^2_E}{a^2(1-\epsilon^2)^2}(4-5 \sin^2 i) \text{ [rad/rev]}[/tex][tex]R_E=6378km\\
J_2=1082.7 \cdot 10^{-6}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In a previous task I already identified [itex]a = 7278 km[/itex].

Since we have a sun-synchronous orbit, the satellite-sun vector has to be constant and equals the earth-sun vector. Hence I assume I can calculate [itex]\Delta\Omega[/itex] as following. I'm using sidereal days and the information that the Earth performs a [itex]360^\circ[/itex] rotation during 1 year.
[tex]\frac{\Delta\Omega}{360^\circ} = \frac{23.9345h}{365d \cdot 23.9345h} \Rightarrow \Delta\Omega = 0.9863 \text{[deg/day]}[/tex]

So now the only unknown variable in the formula for the change of the right ascension of the ascending node is [itex]i[/itex]:
[tex]\Delta\Omega = - \frac{3\pi J_2 R^2_E}{a^2(1-\epsilon^2)^2}\cos i \\
\Rightarrow i = \cos^{-1}(\frac{a^2(1-\epsilon^2)^2}{- 3\pi J_2 R^2_E}\cdot \Delta\Omega) = \cos^{-1}(\frac{7278^2(1-0^2)^2}{- 3\pi \cdot 1082.7 \cdot 10^{-6} 6378^2}\cdot 0.9863) = \cos^{-1}(-103.251)[/tex]

As you can see this produces a MATH ERROR on my calculator :). Unfortunately I am not able to identify where I went wrong :). Can you please help me :)?

Thanks in regard!

Physics news on Phys.org
In your calculation of ΔΩ you've got the sidereal day in hours in both the numerator and denominator. They'll cancel leaving you with ΔΩ equal to 360° in 365 days. That can't be right. Instead, assume the vector rotates once in a sidereal year. So ##2\pi/yrS##, where yrS is 365.256366 day.

Next, ΔΩ should be in radians per revolution (of the satellite), so you'll need to adjust the value accordingly.

Likes 1 person
@gneill: Thank you very much for your help. Your hint actually helped me solving my problem. Adjusting the [deg/day] to [rad/rev] gave me a value in the range of [itex] [-1;1] [/itex]. Hence I was able to solve for i.

1. What is a Sun-synchronous orbit?

A Sun-synchronous orbit is a type of orbit around a planet, typically Earth, where the satellite's orbital plane is synchronized with the Sun's position. This means that the satellite will always cross the equator at the same local solar time, allowing it to maintain a consistent angle with the Sun's rays.

2. Why is the inclination of a Sun-synchronous orbit important?

The inclination of a Sun-synchronous orbit is important because it determines the angle at which the satellite crosses the equator. This allows for consistent lighting conditions, which is especially useful for Earth observation satellites that need to capture images of the same location at the same time of day.

3. What are the implications of a Sun-synchronous orbit's inclination?

The main implication of a Sun-synchronous orbit's inclination is that it allows for consistent lighting conditions, which is important for certain types of satellites. It also helps to minimize the effects of Earth's gravitational field on the satellite's orbit, making it easier to maintain the desired orbit over time.

4. How is a Sun-synchronous orbit achieved?

A Sun-synchronous orbit is achieved by carefully selecting the initial altitude and inclination of the satellite's orbit. This is typically done through a series of orbital maneuvers and adjustments, taking into account factors such as the Earth's gravitational field, the satellite's propulsion systems, and the desired orbital parameters.

5. Can a Sun-synchronous orbit be used for any type of satellite?

No, a Sun-synchronous orbit is typically only used for satellites that require consistent lighting conditions, such as Earth observation or remote sensing satellites. Other types of satellites, such as communication or navigation satellites, may have different orbital requirements and may not benefit from a Sun-synchronous orbit.