Hydrostatic Pressure homework

In summary, the hydrostatic pressure on the bottom of the aquarium is 187.5 lb/ft^3, the hydrostatic force on the bottom is 1870 lb/ft^2, and the hydrostatic force on one end of the aquarium is 562.5 lb. The calculation for the force on the end wall involves setting up an integral to add up all the strips of area along the side of the tank, with each strip having a height of delta-y and a width of 2 feet. We choose x_{i} to represent the depth, and integrate from [3,0] to find the total force.
courtrigrad
An aquarium 5 ft long, 2 ft wide, and 3 ft deep is full of water. Find (a) the hydrostatic pressure on the bottom of the aquarium, (b) the hydrostatic force on the bottom, and (c) the hydrostatic force on one end of the aquarium.

For (a) the hydrostatic pressure is [tex] P = \rho gd [/tex] which is [tex]187.5 \frac{lb}{ft^{3}} [/tex].
For (b), the hydrostatic force is [tex] F = PA = (187.5 \frac{lb}{ft^{3}})(10 ft) = 1870\frac{lb}{ft^{2}} [/tex]

Now for (c), this is where I become stuck. I know that [tex] P = 62.5(x_{i}) [/tex]. So the water is pushing against the bottom of the aquarium, which is a rectangle. I took a partition of that side, and found the area to be [tex] 5P(\Delta x) = (5\Delta X)62.5x_{i} [/tex]. But I saw the answer, and they have that the area of the partition is [tex] 2\Delta x [/tex]. This in turn messes up the calculation of the integral. What am I doing wrong?

P.S: What exactly does this mean: we choose [tex] x_{i}\in [x_{i-1} , x_{i}] [/tex]? What does [tex] x_{i} [/tex] represent?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
any ideas?

Consider going back to basics. Force equals Pressure times Area. F = pgdA where pg equals 62.5 lb/ft^3.

But the Pressure (and therefore the Force) on the end wall varies with depth unlike the bottom of the tank.

You need to set up an integral to add up all of the strips of area along the side of the tank.

Imagine that each strip has a height of delta-y and a width of 2 feet. The depth is (3-y).

Thus each delta-F = 62.5*(3-y)*2*delta-y.

I picked the depth = (3-y) because the y-axis measures the height of the water. When y is 3, the depth is 0; when y is 0, the depth is 3.

Now integrate that from [3,0].

62.5*FINT((2)*(3-y),y, 3,0)
62.5*FINT((6-2y),y, 3,0)
62.5*(6y-y^2)|[3,0]
62.5(18-9)

1. What is hydrostatic pressure?

Hydrostatic pressure is the pressure exerted by a fluid at rest due to the weight of the fluid above it. It is a result of gravity acting on the fluid and can be calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height of the fluid column.

2. How is hydrostatic pressure measured?

Hydrostatic pressure is typically measured using a device called a manometer, which consists of a U-shaped tube filled with a liquid, such as water or mercury. The difference in the heights of the liquid in each side of the tube is directly proportional to the hydrostatic pressure.

3. What factors affect hydrostatic pressure?

The three main factors that affect hydrostatic pressure are the density of the fluid, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height of the fluid column. Changes in any of these factors will result in a change in the hydrostatic pressure.

4. What are some real-world applications of hydrostatic pressure?

Hydrostatic pressure has many practical applications, including in hydraulics, where the high pressure of a fluid is used to lift heavy objects or power machinery. It is also important in meteorology, as it helps to explain the formation and movement of weather systems. In the medical field, hydrostatic pressure plays a role in blood circulation and the functioning of the lymphatic system.

5. How does hydrostatic pressure relate to buoyancy?

Hydrostatic pressure is directly related to buoyancy, which is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object immersed in it. The greater the hydrostatic pressure, the greater the buoyant force, which is why objects float more easily in denser fluids, such as water, compared to less dense fluids, such as air.