Screening for High-Risk Cancer Genes: Cost & Benefits

In summary: Another consideration would be whether or not to have prophylactic surgery such as a mastectomy, hysterectomy or bilateral oophorectomy (removal of both ovaries).
Therian
My friend's family has a history of cancer, could she be screened for (genetic) markers that indicate high risk for certain cancers or something and how much would that cost and how helpful would it be

thanks

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
I know that you can get a test for the BRCA allele that predisposes one to breast cancer but I am unsure of the cost. What I do know is that even if it came out positive it isn't a guarantee you are going to get breast cancer(or not get breast cancer if its negative), so I am unsure of the real benefit of the test. It depends on how strong the family history is and the age of onset of the cancer (cancer at younger ages is more likely due to some type of inherited factor rather than cancer at older ages). Then the question is what do you do after the results? If you have a 30% greater chance of breast cancer, are you willing to get a masectomy and have your ovaries removed (which will have great affects on your physical and mental health) for just an increased risk? There aren't any guarantees with these tests for cancers unless its a pediatric cancer , in all the cases that I know (eg. retinoblastoma.

If there are specific tests that you can do to determine your potential, genetically-mediated risk of cancer, they might have the benefit of telling you whether or not to increase your surveillance for said cancers. Perhaps if you screened positive for the BRCA allele, then your doctor would recommend more frequent mammograms, etc in order to detect and treat any occurence of the disease at as early a stage as possible. This may also provide justification to your health care provider to cover such increased monitoring, but I don't know if that would always be the case.

1. What is the cost of screening for high-risk cancer genes?

The cost of screening for high-risk cancer genes can vary depending on the specific test being performed, the laboratory conducting the test, and the location. On average, the cost can range from hundreds to thousands of dollars.

2. Is screening for high-risk cancer genes covered by insurance?

Some insurance plans may cover the cost of screening for high-risk cancer genes, while others may not. It is important to check with your insurance provider to determine coverage and any out-of-pocket costs.

3. How accurate are the results of screening for high-risk cancer genes?

The accuracy of screening for high-risk cancer genes can vary depending on the specific test being performed. Some tests have a high accuracy rate, while others may have a higher rate of false positives or false negatives. It is important to discuss the accuracy of the test with a healthcare professional.

4. What are the potential benefits of screening for high-risk cancer genes?

The potential benefits of screening for high-risk cancer genes include identifying individuals who have an increased risk of developing certain types of cancer, allowing for early detection and treatment. This can potentially lead to improved health outcomes and a reduced risk of cancer-related deaths.

5. Are there any risks or side effects associated with screening for high-risk cancer genes?

Some screening tests for high-risk cancer genes may have potential risks or side effects, such as discomfort during the test or a small risk of infection. Additionally, receiving positive results may cause emotional distress. It is important to discuss any potential risks and side effects with a healthcare professional before undergoing screening.