What is the order of polarity for these three molecules on the TLC plate?

• Thread starter LogicX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polar
In summary, the order of polarity for the three molecules on the TLC plate is as follows: molecule 3 is the most polar due to the presence of OH groups and the formation of B- in solution, followed by molecule 1 which is less polar due to the size of the R-group and the presence of an electronegative atom on the opposite side of the molecule, and finally molecule 2 which is the least polar due to the relatively weak electronegativity of the Br atom and the pulling of electrons in opposite directions by the two oxygen atoms.
LogicX

Homework Statement

I'm trying to assign the spots for a TLC plate that I did in lab.

http://imageshack.us/f/27/tlcpolar.png/

What is the order of polarity of these three molecules?

Homework Equations

The more polar something is, the lower it will stay on a TLC plate. The less polar it is, the further it will travel up.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have three spots on my plate, I'm trying to figure out what is what.

I think that 3 is the most polar because of the OH groups and the fact that it forms B- in solution with another reactant that is in there.

I just don't know about 1 and 2. Br is electronegative, but I don't know if this decreases the polarity because it is para to a group with an electronegative oxygen, or if it increases the polarity (compared to the phenyl ring).

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree, molecule 1, even though the caboxyl group is very polar (because of the high electron density) the molecule will no exhibit great polarity because R-group to the left is to big.
Number 2, Br is not as electronegative as Oxygen (can you explain why? look at the electronegativity trend). In fact these two electronegative atoms are on opposite sides of the molecule. What does this mean?
molecule 3, B is extremely 'weak' (even hydrogen is more electronegative) so the two oxygen will pull all the electrons away from Boron, since these two pull the electron toward the same direction, i conclude that this molecule is the most polar

1. Which of these is more polar: water or ethanol?

Water is more polar than ethanol. This is because water has a higher dipole moment and is able to form stronger hydrogen bonds compared to ethanol.

2. How does polarity affect the solubility of substances?

Polarity plays a significant role in determining the solubility of substances. Polar substances tend to dissolve in polar solvents, while nonpolar substances dissolve in nonpolar solvents. This is because like dissolves like, meaning polar substances are attracted to other polar substances and vice versa.

3. Does the polarity of a molecule affect its boiling point?

Yes, the polarity of a molecule can affect its boiling point. Generally, molecules with higher polarity have higher boiling points because they have stronger intermolecular forces, such as hydrogen bonding, that require more energy to break apart.

4. How can I determine the polarity of a molecule?

The polarity of a molecule can be determined by looking at its molecular structure and the electronegativity of its atoms. A molecule is considered polar if it has a positive and negative end, called a dipole, due to an uneven distribution of electrons. This occurs when there is a difference in electronegativity between the atoms in a molecule.

5. Can a molecule be both polar and nonpolar?

No, a molecule cannot be both polar and nonpolar. A molecule is either polar or nonpolar, depending on the distribution of electrons and the electronegativity of its atoms. However, some molecules may have both polar and nonpolar regions, making them amphipathic.