Calculating Effective Mass: Expressing as a Fraction of Electron Rest Mass

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the effective mass of an electron within the first Brillouin zone in a crystal, where the energy of the electron varies with a wave vector. The effective mass is found using Newton's second law and can be expressed as a fraction of the electron rest mass. The final equation for the effective mass as a fraction of the electron rest mass is given by ##m^* = \frac{\hbar^2}{(2A+12B (\pi /a)^2) m_e}##.
roam
I am trying to find the effective mass of the electron within the first Brillouin zone in a particular direction in a crystal where the energy of the electron varies with some wave vector ##E(k)=Ak^2+Bk^4##. But I need to express this as a fraction of the electron rest mass.

I know that the effective mass (from Newton's 2nd law) is given by:

##m^* = \frac{\hbar^2}{d^2E/dk^2}##​

At the first Brillouin zone boundary we have ##k =\pi / a##. Also the second derivative of the E(k) is ##\frac{d^2E}{dk^2}=2A+12Bk^2##.

Substituting these in I think the effective mass is:

##m^* = \frac{\hbar^2}{2A+12B (\frac{\pi}{a})^2}##​

Now, how does one express this as a fraction of the electron rest mass m (511 KeV)? :confused:

Any suggestion or correction is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The obvious answer is to divide by ##m_e## so that you have an expression for ##m_*/m_e##. This doesn't make too much sense unless you've been given numerical values for ##A,B,a## though.

Yup, you're done if that's all the information provided. Put m_0 in the denominator.

Thank you very much for your inputs. Here is what I've got then for effective mass as a fraction of the electron rest mass:

##m^* = \frac{\hbar^2}{(2A+12B (\pi /a)^2) m_e}##

Last edited:
roam said:
Thank you very much for your inputs. Here is what I've got then for effective mass as a fraction of the electron rest mass:

##m^* = \frac{\hbar^2}{(2A+12B (\pi /a)^2) m_e}##

Don't you mean m*/m_e for the LHS of the equation?

Zz.

1. What is the "Effective Electron Mass"?

The effective electron mass is a measure of the mass of an electron in a solid material, which can differ from the mass of an electron in vacuum due to interactions with other particles in the material.

2. How is the "Effective Electron Mass" different from the mass of an electron in vacuum?

The effective electron mass takes into account the interactions with other particles in the material, such as other electrons or ions, which can affect the movement and behavior of the electron. In vacuum, there are no other particles present to interact with the electron, so its mass remains constant.

3. Why is the "Effective Electron Mass" important in solid state physics?

The effective electron mass is important in understanding the behavior of electrons in solid materials, such as in semiconductors and metals. It affects the electronic properties of these materials, such as conductivity and energy levels, and can also impact the performance of electronic devices.

4. How is the "Effective Electron Mass" experimentally determined?

The effective electron mass can be experimentally determined through various techniques, such as measuring the temperature dependence of the electrical conductivity or using spectroscopic methods to study the energy levels of electrons in a material.

5. Can the "Effective Electron Mass" vary in different materials?

Yes, the effective electron mass can vary in different materials depending on the composition, structure, and properties of the material. It can also vary within the same material under different conditions, such as temperature or external electric or magnetic fields.