Dispersion relation for the free electron model

In summary, the conversation discusses the free electron model and how it relates to the wavefunctions in reciprocal space. These wavefunctions are treated as planewaves and need to be periodic due to the lattice. The Schrodinger equation is solved with these wavefunctions to determine the energy eigenvalues, which are plotted as a dispersion relation. The conversation also touches on the quantum number and Brillouin zones, and how these are related to the wavefunctions and their nodes. The conversation concludes by mentioning that this method of classifying wavefunctions can also be applied when the electrons are not free.
Crosshash
I'm trying to get my head around what this means exactly. I've plotted the graph to help verse me with the functions that I've derived.

From the free electron model, the wavefunctions are treated as planewaves of the form

[tex]\psi_\mathbf{k}(\mathbf{r}) = e^{i\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{r}} [/tex]

Due to the lattice being periodic, the wavefunction needs to be periodic and this occurs for values of [tex]k_{x,y,z}[/tex] which are of the form

[tex]
k_{x,y,z} = \frac{2n\pi}{a}
[/tex]

When you solve the Schrodinger equation with this wavefunction, the energy eigenvalues are of the form

[tex]E = \frac{\hbar^2 k^2}{2m}[/tex]

which I've plotted as a dispersion relation to give:

TlNtCn6.png

Here's where I'm trying to wrap my head around this. What exactly are we looking at here? Obviously, this is in reciprocal space. n is the quantum number but is it also the brillouin zone index? For n=1, two electrons can occupy that band, does that mean they're restricted to the first brillouin zone? For n=2, are they restricted to the second brillouin zone? Why do so many texts plot the dotted lines the way I've done it (inside the first brillouin zone). What consequence is this?

Thank you

[edit] just to add, I'm working through chapter 6 of Kittel.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's another way of classifying the wavefunctions. The wavefunctions corresponding to the dotted lines have one or more nodes inside every elementary cell (at least their real and imaginary part individually). So you can label the wavefunctions instead of the value of k, by ##k \mod 2\pi/a## and the number of nodes n. This characterization will be possible also when the electrons are not free.

What is the dispersion relation for the free electron model?

The dispersion relation for the free electron model is a mathematical relationship that describes the behavior of free electrons in a solid material. It relates the energy and momentum of an electron, and is used to understand the electronic properties of materials.

How is the dispersion relation derived?

The dispersion relation is derived from the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles. By solving the equation for electrons in a periodic potential, the dispersion relation can be obtained.

What does the dispersion relation tell us about the electronic properties of materials?

The dispersion relation provides information about the energy levels and allowed momentum states of electrons in a material. It can also give insight into the band structure and conductivity of a material.

Is the dispersion relation the same for all materials?

No, the dispersion relation can vary depending on the material's crystal structure, composition, and other factors. In some cases, it may be more complex to calculate the dispersion relation for certain materials.

Can the dispersion relation be experimentally measured?

Yes, the dispersion relation can be measured through various experimental techniques such as photoemission spectroscopy or angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy. These methods allow for the direct observation of the energy and momentum of electrons in a material.