Local coordinates, physical coordinates

In summary, coordinates in a manifold are arbitrary and have no physical significance. They simply serve as a way to map events in the manifold to numbers. As long as they are smooth and one-to-one, any method for assigning coordinates is valid.
mrandersdk
As far as I can understand space is af manifold with some metric on it. A manifold is described with some charts (coordinates), but how do I relate these coordinates with ex. physical coordinates of some particle.

Is it like this:

if I'm in some laboratory I make some cartesian coordinate system (x,y,z) (maybe include time (t,x,y,z)), so that I can say that my particle is at p_0 = (x_0,y_0,z_0). Then my task is to find the metric in my laboratory coordinate system, so I can for example calculate the geodesic for my particle. But p=(x,y,z) should be functions to my manifold, that is p: R^3 -> M, and how should they look.

As you might see I have a bit trouble understanding, how to relate the physical coordinates to the manifold, so that the description of GR becomes useful.

Hope someone can help me understand it. Thanks in Advance, Anders Berthelsen.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the first thing is to realize that there is no such thing as “physical coordinates”. Coordinates are simply a smooth set of numbers assigned to events in the manifold. They are completely arbitrary and have no inherent physical significance.

Now, as to how you can assign coordinates, the answer is essentially any way you like. Coordinates have only two requirements: they must smoothly map an open subset of the spacetime manifold to an open subset of R4 and they must be one-to-one. Any method you devise that satisfies those two constraints is valid.

1. What are local coordinates and physical coordinates?

Local coordinates refer to a coordinate system used to describe the position of an object or point in a specific location, such as a building or area. Physical coordinates, on the other hand, refer to a coordinate system used to describe the position of an object or point in relation to a larger, global reference frame, such as latitude and longitude on Earth.

2. How are local coordinates and physical coordinates different?

The main difference between local coordinates and physical coordinates is the reference frame in which they are based. Local coordinates are specific to a local area, while physical coordinates are based on a larger, global reference frame.

3. Why are local coordinates and physical coordinates important?

Local coordinates and physical coordinates are important for accurately describing and locating objects or points in a specific location as well as in relation to a larger reference frame. They are crucial for navigation, mapping, and other scientific and engineering applications.

4. How are local coordinates and physical coordinates measured?

Local coordinates are typically measured using a specific reference point or origin within the local area, such as the corner of a building or the center of a room. Physical coordinates are measured using a global reference frame, such as a system of longitude and latitude or a grid system.

5. Can local coordinates and physical coordinates be converted to each other?

Yes, local coordinates and physical coordinates can be converted to each other using mathematical transformations. However, the accuracy of the conversion depends on the precision and accuracy of the measurements and the reference frames used.