Coord Transform in de Sitter Space: Phys Significance &Linearity?

In summary: That doesn't mean they are the only transformations that leave the line element invariant, but they are the ones that can be interpreted as "rotations" and "boosts" in the embedding space.
Sciencemaster
TL;DR Summary
Can one derive a coordinate transformation for the de Sitter space from its invariant interval akin to the Lorentz Transform in Minkowski Space?
Could one derive a set of coordinate transformations that transforms events between different reference frames in the de Sitter metric using the invariant line element, similar to how the Lorentz Transformations leave the line element of the Minkowski metric invariant? Would these coordinate transforms be physically significant?

I understand that the concept of reference frames and their coordinate systems works differently in GR than in the flat spacetime of SR, but given that the de Sitter Metric is maximally symmetric, I was wondering if this would be possible and perhaps even physically meaningful.

For instance, an axiom used in deriving the Lorentz Transformations is that $x=\pm ct$. In de Sitter space, the invariant quantity would instead be $r=\pm \left(1-\frac{r^2}{\alpha^2}\right)ct$. Could this be used to derive a coordinate transform and would it have any physical significance?

Also, if this transform can be derived, would it be linear? I would imagine it is due to the symmetry in the metric, and it would make deriving the transformations much easier, but I'm not absolutely sure since $g_{rr}$ and $g_{tt}$ depend on $r$.

Likes Dale
Physics news on Phys.org
Sciencemaster said:
I understand that the concept of reference frames and their coordinate systems works differently in GR than in the flat spacetime of SR
The concept of "reference frame" that I suspect you are using, namely a global inertial frame in which a family of observers at rest in the frame (i.e., with constant spatial coordinates) are (a) at rest relative to each other, and (b) all in free fall, does not exist in any curved spacetime. That includes de Sitter spacetime.

Sciencemaster said:
given that the de Sitter Metric is maximally symmetric, I was wondering if this would be possible
Not the way I suspect you are thinking. See above.

Likes Dale, vanhees71 and topsquark
Sciencemaster said:
Could one derive a set of coordinate transformations that transforms events between different reference frames coordinate charts in the de Sitter metric using the invariant line element
With the correction I made above (see the strikethrough and the bolded text), you can do it in any curved spacetime. In fact, that is the definition of a valid coordinate transformation: that it leaves the line element invariant. But no coordinate chart on a curved spacetime can correspond to a global inertial reference frame.

Likes Dale and vanhees71
Yes, but maybe not in the way you are imagining. The particular coordinate form of the line element is not as important as the geometry of the spacetime and the symmetries of de Sitter space are generally not very transparent from the typical coordinate choices.

By definition, symmetry transformations are those that leave the metric tensor invariant. In other words, they are maps ##f: M \to M## such that the pullback of the metric is the metric itself ##f^*g = g##. After making any such transformation, reintroducing coordinates in the same way as before will of course lead to the same coordinate form for the line element.

In general, the ##n##-dimensional de Sitter space ##dS_n## can be embedded into ##n+1##-dimensional Minkowski space as Minkowski equivalent of a sphere in Euclidean space and the symmetry transformations may be inferred from there.

Likes Dale and vanhees71
Sciencemaster said:
Can one derive a coordinate transformation for the de Sitter space from its invariant interval akin to the Lorentz Transform in Minkowski Space?
The group of transformations is ##SO(4,1)##. There is extensive literature concerning de Sitter (special) relativity, which may interest you. :oldsmile:

Likes vanhees71
Just to point out that this
strangerep said:
The group of transformations is ##SO(4,1)##.
is what follows from this
Orodruin said:
In general, the n-dimensional de Sitter space dSn can be embedded into n+1-dimensional Minkowski space as Minkowski equivalent of a sphere in Euclidean space and the symmetry transformations may be inferred from there.
The SO(n,1) transformations are the Lorentz transformations in the embedding Minkowski space.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is de Sitter space and why is it important in physics?

De Sitter space is a mathematical model of the universe that describes a universe with a constant positive curvature. It is important in physics because it is used in cosmology to study the expansion of the universe and in theoretical physics to explore the properties of space and time.

2. What is a coordinate transformation in de Sitter space?

A coordinate transformation in de Sitter space is a mathematical operation that changes the coordinates used to describe the space. This allows us to describe the same physical phenomenon with different sets of coordinates, making it easier to solve certain problems or understand different aspects of the space.

3. What is the physical significance of coordinate transformations in de Sitter space?

The physical significance of coordinate transformations in de Sitter space lies in their ability to reveal different properties and symmetries of the space. By transforming coordinates, we can gain a better understanding of the underlying structure of de Sitter space and its relation to other physical theories.

4. Why is linearity important in coordinate transformations in de Sitter space?

Linearity is important in coordinate transformations in de Sitter space because it ensures that the transformation preserves the structure and properties of the space. This means that physical laws and equations will remain the same regardless of the choice of coordinates, making it easier to study and understand the space.

5. How are coordinate transformations in de Sitter space used in practical applications?

Coordinate transformations in de Sitter space are used in various practical applications, such as in cosmology to study the expansion of the universe and in theoretical physics to explore the properties of space and time. They are also used in mathematical models and simulations to better understand the behavior of physical systems in de Sitter space.