Best Science Documentaries/Media

• Thread starter gbiota1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the conversation was about finding online resources for learning without having to do any real work. The person was looking for videos or audio that are user-friendly but also contain technical information, preferably related to vector calculus or red shifting. They recommended Carl Sagan's Cosmos and Richard Dawkin's Growing up in the Universe lectures on YouTube. They also mentioned their love for Nova and suggested other tech-related videos such as Make Magazine, The Nintentoaster, and Triumph of the Nerds.
gbiota1
I really spend a lot of time looking for stuff that can teach me something online, where I don't have to sit down with a notepad and do any real work. I figure I am not the only one who looks for that sort of media. If people are willing to make some recommendations, ill review them here and post them up on a list, that I will catalog if it becomes large enough to necessitate that.

My ideal video or audio would be more user friendly than a lecture, and more technical than say, the average nova. Any level of technical detail is fine, but it is most useful for me (and likely many others) if whatever complexity it does move towards, that complexity be rooted within the same program to something near vector calculus or red shifting in mathematical/scientific detail.

Just to get things started, I would recommend Carl Sagan's Cosmos, and Richard Dawkin's Growing up in the Universe lectures to anyone who hasn't seen them, and they can be found on youtube.

If a thread like this already exists, link that too please.

Physics news on Phys.org
gbiota1 said:
I really spend a lot of time looking for stuff that can teach me something online, where I don't have to sit down with a notepad and do any real work. I figure I am not the only one who looks for that sort of media. If people are willing to make some recommendations, ill review them here and post them up on a list, that I will catalog if it becomes large enough to necessitate that.

My ideal video or audio would be more user friendly than a lecture, and more technical than say, the average nova. Any level of technical detail is fine, but it is most useful for me (and likely many others) if whatever complexity it does move towards, that complexity be rooted within the same program to something near vector calculus or red shifting in mathematical/scientific detail.

Just to get things started, I would recommend Carl Sagan's Cosmos, and Richard Dawkin's Growing up in the Universe lectures to anyone who hasn't seen them, and they can be found on youtube.

If a thread like this already exists, link that too please.
Well, Nova is a great show. I especially love The Elegant Universe. I've also enjoyed Robert X. Cringley's Triumph of the Nerds, and Nerds 2.0.

But as far as tech is concerned, I would have to suggest those Make Magazine videos with Bre Pettis or Collin Cunningham on Youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqzYsuTRVRc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee_8IMx0uMo&feature Plus, here's a fun one...The Nintentoaster...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDGR2MiCyYs

These guys are my heroes.

1. What are the criteria for determining the "best" science documentaries/media?

The criteria for determining the "best" science documentaries/media can vary depending on personal preferences, but some common factors include accuracy and reliability of information, engaging and informative presentation style, quality of production, and impact on the audience.

2. How do science documentaries/media contribute to scientific understanding?

Science documentaries/media can contribute to scientific understanding by presenting complex scientific concepts and research in a more accessible and entertaining format. They can also spark curiosity and interest in science among viewers, leading to further exploration and learning.

3. Are there any notable science documentaries/media that have had a significant impact on society?

Yes, there are several notable science documentaries/media that have had a significant impact on society. For example, "An Inconvenient Truth" brought attention to the issue of climate change and helped raise public awareness, leading to increased efforts to address the problem.

4. How can I find the best science documentaries/media to watch?

You can find the best science documentaries/media by researching and reading reviews, checking ratings, and seeking recommendations from reputable sources such as science organizations and experts in the field. You can also consider your personal interests and preferred topics within science.

5. Are there any science documentaries/media that are suitable for all ages?

Yes, there are many science documentaries/media that are suitable for all ages. These can include documentaries about nature, space, and scientific discoveries that are presented in an engaging and educational manner without being too technical or complex for younger audiences.