Calculating the number of turns and thickness of an electromagnet

In summary, the author is working on a homemade electromagnet to be used on his racecar. He wants to calculate the number of turns of the electromagnet and the thickness of the wire. However, he has difficulty finding information on the internet. He knows the wire diameter (0.114 mm) and the dimensions of the electromagnet (Hight: 7mm, width: 12mm, length: 57mm). The form of the electromagnet is similar to a horseshoe, but with an edge that is 90 degrees. The picture of the electromagnet is linked. The material of the core is steel and the author has 0.7 ampere for use. The important parameter of the coil is NI
anru
I'm working on a homemade electromagnet, to use on my racecar :biggrin:
I want to calculate the number of turns of an electromagnet and the thickness of the wire.

But i have tried to search arround in books, and can't really find any thing.

I know my wire is 0,114mm and dimensions for electromagnet is

Hight: 7mm
width: 12mm
lenght: 57mm

The form is like a horseshoe, but with 90* edge. Picture is linked:

http://oi47.tinypic.com/15zqlv8.jpg

My material of the core is steel (ignore the fact about type of steel)

I have 0,7 ampere for use.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please review the equations for the magnetic field strength B in the attachment. In particular, understand the derivation of equation (6).The important parameter of the coil is NI, the product of amps times turns.
Please review the copper wire gauge table at http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
Your wire diameter (0.114 mm) is roughly 38 Ga. However, you will need 22 or 24 Ga. copper to carry 0.7 amps.

Attachments

• Magnet_air_gap1.jpg
    Magnet_air_gap1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 2,830
i want to calculate number of turns

Make an engineering sketch of your electromagnet including coil dimensions. Select the proper copper wire gauge from the copper wire table. Using the wire diameter, calculate the number of turns you can fit into the space for the coils. Using the calculated length of the wire, calculate the wire resistance and the voltage needed to get 0.7 amps. Now calculate the amp turns. Using equation (6) in my earlier post, is the magnet strong enough?

The G stands for Gauge or what?

The first column in the wire gauge table is the wire gauge (Ga.) number. The third column is the wire diameter in mm. The fifth column is the ohms per 1000 meters. Use column 7 for the maximum amps in a coil.

This is my data
37 0.0045 0.1143 523.1 1715 0.17 0.0289 1350 kHz

And what should i do then?

The one with AWG 37

So your wire selection is 37 Ga.?

1) How many turns can you fit into the allowed dimensioned space for your coil?
2) What is the estimated wire length?
3) What is the estimated wire resistance?
4) Using the recommended maximum wire current 0f 0.03 amps, calculate the the required voltage.
5) Calculate the amp-turns of the coil.
6) Using equation (6). calculate the B field.

thanks bob :-)

Related to Calculating the number of turns and thickness of an electromagnet

1. How do you calculate the number of turns in an electromagnet?

The number of turns in an electromagnet can be calculated using the formula N = (μ0 * μr * A * n * l)/I, where N is the number of turns, μ0 is the permeability of free space, μr is the relative permeability of the core material, A is the cross-sectional area of the core, n is the number of layers, l is the length of the coil, and I is the desired current in the coil.

2. What is the relationship between the number of turns and the strength of an electromagnet?

The strength of an electromagnet is directly proportional to the number of turns. This means that the more turns the coil has, the stronger the magnetic field produced by the electromagnet will be.

3. How do you calculate the thickness of an electromagnet?

The thickness of an electromagnet can be calculated using the formula t = (B * μ0 * n * I * l)/(μr * A), where t is the thickness, B is the desired magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns, I is the desired current in the coil, l is the length of the coil, and μr is the relative permeability of the core material.

4. What factors affect the number of turns and thickness of an electromagnet?

The number of turns and thickness of an electromagnet are affected by several factors including the desired magnetic field strength, the core material, the current in the coil, and the dimensions of the coil. Additionally, the number of turns and thickness may also be influenced by external factors such as temperature and environmental factors.

5. How can you increase the strength of an electromagnet?

To increase the strength of an electromagnet, you can increase the number of turns, use a core material with a higher relative permeability, increase the current in the coil, and decrease the length of the coil. However, it is important to note that there may be limitations to how much the strength can be increased, as factors such as heat dissipation and saturation of the core material can affect the performance of the electromagnet.