Exploring the Off-World Industry: My Journey Into Robotics and Space Studies

In summary, Jeff wants to become a part of the off-world industry and has a degree in embedded systems engineering from broadcast television. He is looking for opinions on whether a doctorate would be more marketable than a masters in space studies. He is also looking into whether online graduate programs are a good option for him.
jeffmoor
Hi All,

I very much want to become part of the growing off-world industry. Companies like those dreaming of asteroid mining really pique my interests. In particular, I'd like to be involved with design and implementation of robotic systems.

I have an MSEE, and though I've been out of the industry for about 10 years, I have around 15 years experience as an embedded systems software/hardware engineer in broadcast television.

Aside from personal enrichment, it seems a degree in Space Studies, like the Masters or Doctorate program offered by the University of North Dakota, might be a good way to shift into the field.

I'm looking for opinions on a couple things...

1. Outside of academia, would I be much more marketable with a doctorate than with just a second masters in space studies?

2. I'm at a point in my life where I need to be able to return to school via a distance program. Does anyone have any pointers to other good "online" graduate programs in this area?

Thanks for the help,
Jeff

Physics news on Phys.org
By way of clarification, I'm not entirely crazy. I know I'm not currently qualified to enter an aerospace doctoral program. I'm not sure what I'm missing to be able to enter a master's program. These are ultimate goals, far away though they may be.

I don't really understand what you're trying to get into. Robotic systems is more mechatronic (electrical and mechanical) than aerospace. I can only help you with the Australian university requirements, other countries are different. I almost did a PhD in aerospace engineering, but it just isn't worth it. You usually end up joining a usual grad program anyway. Academic positions are few and far between. A lot more are doing them now since aerospace positions are so relativelyl ow compared to people after them.

I've never even heard of a degree in space studies. Are you sure this program can get you where you want to go? It's best to think about your end goal and then take note of the types of degrees that the people who have already achieved that goal have. Maybe this space studies business with do that, but it's hard to say not having ever heard of it.

I would take the opposite position from Vadar2012 here. A PhD is a great idea... in certain situations. Only a select class of jobs actually require a PhD, and for those that don't, a PhD will overqualify you. You have to make sure that a PhD is actually the ticket to what you want to do. Otherwise it is not helpful and can even be harmful.

boneh3ad said:
I would take the opposite position from Vadar2012 here. A PhD is a great idea... in certain situations. Only a select class of jobs actually require a PhD, and for those that don't, a PhD will overqualify you. You have to make sure that a PhD is actually the ticket to what you want to do. Otherwise it is not helpful and can even be harmful.

That's kinda what I said, but in a diffrent way.

Perhaps that is really the problem. Having finally talked myself into going back to school, I'm a little dazed at the possibilities, and haven't completely settled on what I'd ultimately like to go do every day. So many wonderful choices.

Are you looking into designing the electrical systems of satellites and orbital robotic systems, or are you planning on jumping ship into a completely different type of work?

Honestly, any robotic system will need plenty of EE work.

I would suggest looking into taking some basic(ish) classes to freshen up on current trends and skills to help negate the 10 years out of the industry, and then go full-on into a job search at NASA or companies who contract through NASA.

You most likely do not want or need a PhD unless you are already in the field and the company you work for states that you will need one to advance.

Thank you all for your replies. In the near term, I'll likely take Enigma's advice and take a few classes to freshen up with. Regardless where the future takes me, I could use the freshening. Beyond that, I guess I still have some soul searching to do. :-)

1. What inspired you to explore the off-world industry and pursue a career in robotics and space studies?

As a child, I was always fascinated by the mysteries of space and the idea of exploring other planets. As I grew older, I became more interested in technology and how it could be used to further our understanding of the universe. This led me to pursue a degree in robotics and space studies, combining my passions for both space and technology.

2. What are some of the biggest challenges you have faced in your journey into the off-world industry?

One of the biggest challenges I have faced is the constant need for innovation and adaptation. The off-world industry is constantly evolving and new technologies are being developed at a rapid pace. As a scientist, I have to stay updated with the latest advancements and be willing to adapt to new methods and techniques in order to stay relevant and make valuable contributions to the field.

3. How do you see robotics playing a role in the future of space exploration?

I believe that robotics will play a crucial role in the future of space exploration. Robots are able to withstand extreme conditions and can perform tasks that would be dangerous or impossible for humans. With the advancements in artificial intelligence and robotics, we will be able to send robots to explore and gather data from distant planets, without risking human lives.

4. Can you tell us about any exciting projects or research you are currently working on in the off-world industry?

Currently, I am working on a project that involves the development of a new type of rover for Mars exploration. This rover will be equipped with advanced sensors and technology to gather data and images from the surface of Mars. I am also involved in research on the use of drones and autonomous vehicles for space exploration, which has the potential to greatly improve our understanding of other planets.

5. What advice do you have for aspiring scientists interested in pursuing a career in the off-world industry?

My advice would be to never stop learning and to always stay curious. The off-world industry is constantly evolving, and it is important to stay updated with the latest advancements in technology and research. Also, don't be afraid to take risks and think outside the box. Innovation and creativity are key in this field, so always be open to new ideas and approaches.