Calculating Flux Linkage for Sphere at a Given Distance | Electric Flux Question

In summary, BJ is seeking assistance in finding the flux linkage with a sphere of radius R placed at a distance x0 on the x-axis. They mention the presence of an electric field and a charge enclosed within the sphere, and note that Gauss's law can be used to relate the total flux through a closed surface to the net charge contained within it. They also clarify that flux linkage simply means flux.
Nipun
Can anybody help me find the:

The flux linkage with sphere of radius R placed at x=x0 (distance on the x axis).

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    2 KB · Views: 453
Physics news on Phys.org
It would have been better if you told the direction(s) of the Field , or isn't there any field here? , Flux is the electric field through unit area. I assume that the elEctric field lines entering the sphere are all parallel and in the same direction.Then the number of lines entering the sphere= No. of lines leaving the sphere , and hence the there is no net flux.

BJ

BJ

I am unfamiliar with the term "flux linkage" in this context. Can you restate your question?

I am so sorry. I forgot that a charge Q is enclosed in the sphere and the electric field lines are parallel to x-axis from left to right.and flux linkage means simply flux.

Gauss's law relates the total flux through a closed surface (like this sphere) to the net charged contained within it. That's all you need.

FAQ: Calculating Flux Linkage for Sphere at a Given Distance | Electric Flux Question

1. What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the flow of an electric field through a given surface. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of volts per meter squared (V/m^2).

2. How is electric flux calculated?

Electric flux is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field vector and the surface area vector. This is represented by the equation Φ = E⋅A, where E is the electric field and A is the surface area.

3. What is the significance of electric flux?

Electric flux helps us understand the strength and direction of an electric field through a given surface. It is an important concept in electromagnetism and is used in various applications, such as in the design of electrical circuits and in the study of electric charges and their interactions.

4. How does the direction of the electric field affect electric flux?

The direction of the electric field determines the direction of electric flux. If the electric field and the surface area are perpendicular to each other, the electric flux will be maximum. If they are parallel, the electric flux will be zero.

5. Can electric flux be negative?

Yes, electric flux can be negative. This occurs when the electric field and the surface area vector are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative dot product. This indicates that the electric field is flowing into the surface, rather than out of it.

Back