Minimum Pulley Diameter for 1.5mm Bike Brake Cable

In summary, the conversation is about finding the smallest pulley diameter that can be used to make a 180 degree direction change with a 1.5mm diameter bike brake cable without causing kinking or distortion. The pulley must have a groove or edge for the cable to rest in and must be able to sustain the diameter and thickness of the cable. The question is whether the flexibility of the cable or theoretical metallurgy will determine the minimum pulley diameter. Testing may be necessary to determine the smallest pulley diameter that can be used without causing kinking.
KevD
Using normal 1.5mm diameter bike brake cable, what would be the smallest possible pulley i could use to make a 180 degree direction change with the cable without kinking or distorting the cable?/?

Any help with this would be VERY helpful!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
How is you pulley, Does it has soe edge to balance the string or is it a flat surface. Well if its in the former way, then the radius of the pulley must be enough to sustain the diameter of the string and similarly the thickness of the pulley must be enough to hold the dimeter of the string. I think I have properly imagined about the structure you need.

Yes there will be an edge or a groove on the pulley for the cable to rest in. This will be with a steel cable though (bicycle brake cable) and the cable must travel half way around the pulley without kinking. The pulley needs to be as small as possible for the application. I need to know the smallest pulley diameter i can use without kinking the cable.

Thanks very much!

Anyone??!

Doesn't this depend on the flexibility of the metal used in the cable? Unless this is a question of theoretical metallurgy, you can always test the cable in question around progressively smaller cylindrical objects until a kink appears.

What is the minimum pulley diameter for a 1.5mm bike brake cable?

The minimum pulley diameter for a 1.5mm bike brake cable is typically around 11mm. However, this can vary slightly depending on the specific brand and type of cable being used.

Why is the minimum pulley diameter important for bike brake cables?

The minimum pulley diameter is important because it directly affects the performance and longevity of the brake cable. If the pulley diameter is too small, it can cause excessive friction and wear on the cable, leading to decreased braking performance and a shorter lifespan for the cable.

What happens if the pulley diameter is too small for the brake cable?

If the pulley diameter is too small for the brake cable, it can result in increased friction and tension on the cable, leading to decreased braking power and potential damage to the cable. This can also cause the cable to wear out more quickly, requiring more frequent replacements.

Are there any exceptions to the 1.5mm bike brake cable minimum pulley diameter?

While 11mm is generally considered the minimum pulley diameter for 1.5mm bike brake cables, there may be some exceptions depending on the specific type and brand of cable being used. It is always best to consult the manufacturer's recommendations for the specific cable you are using.

Can I use a larger pulley diameter than the minimum recommended for my 1.5mm bike brake cable?

Yes, in most cases it is safe to use a larger pulley diameter than the minimum recommended for your 1.5mm bike brake cable. This can actually help to reduce friction and wear on the cable, resulting in improved braking performance and a longer lifespan for the cable.