Estimating oil molecule diameter

In summary, the conversation discusses the justification for assuming that the cylinder thickness is equal to one molecule's diameter when working out the diameter of the molecule in a given problem. The speaker obtained a diameter of 0.13 nano meters and changed the radius from 0.4 meters to 0.2 meters, resulting in a thickness of 0.521 nano meters. The potential use of surface tension as a justification for this assumption is also mentioned.
Bolter
Homework Statement
Working out an estimation of molecule's diameter
Relevant Equations
V = 4/3*pi*r^3
Can anyone help me in what assumptions I can make and how to justify them for when working out diameter of the molecule in part b) of this question? You can see the method that I have used in my workings but how would I explain it in words?

I obtained the diameter to be 0.13 nano metres which seems like a sensible length for a molecules diameter?

Screenshot 2019-12-21 at 21.51.25.png

IMG_3539.JPG

IMG_3540.JPG

Thanks for any help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you arrive at the radius of the cylinder being 0.4 (presumably meters)?

1576969893051.png

gneill said:
How did you arrive at the radius of the cylinder being 0.4 (presumably meters)?

View attachment 254528

I made a silly mistake and used the diameter's length in metres and not the radius length. So it should have read 0.2m instead.

I have changed from 0.4 to 0.2 and get the thickness of d to be 0.521 nano metres now

IMG_3541.JPG

Yes, that looks better!

gneill said:
Yes, that looks better!

Ok so the only assumption that I have made in this problem is that the cylinder thickness is 1 molecule's diameter thick. How do I justify such an assumption?

Bolter said:
Ok so the only assumption that I have made in this problem is that the cylinder thickness is 1 molecule's diameter thick. How do I justify such an assumption?
Perhaps look into surface tension.

gneill said:
Perhaps look into surface tension.

Possibly.
I think I'll need to look into that more myself before I make my own justification as I'm a bit hazy over that. But thank you :)

Likes gneill

1. How do scientists estimate the diameter of oil molecules?

One method is by using a technique called X-ray crystallography, which involves shooting X-rays at a crystal of oil molecules and analyzing the diffraction patterns to determine the size of the molecules.

2. Is there a standard size for oil molecules?

No, the size of oil molecules can vary depending on the type of oil and its composition. Generally, they range from 0.5 to 10 nanometers in diameter.

3. Can oil molecule diameter be measured directly?

No, oil molecules are too small to be seen with the naked eye or even most microscopes. They must be estimated using indirect methods.

4. Why is it important to know the diameter of oil molecules?

Understanding the size of oil molecules is crucial in various fields such as chemistry, materials science, and environmental science. It can help in designing more efficient oil extraction methods and predicting the behavior of oil spills.

5. Are there any limitations to estimating oil molecule diameter?

Yes, there are limitations to the accuracy of estimating oil molecule diameter. The methods used can only provide an estimate, and the actual size may vary due to factors such as temperature, pressure, and impurities in the oil sample.