Deriving Molar Specific Heat Equation

In summary, two moles of a monatomic gas and two moles of a diatomic gas are mixed together in a container. The molar specific heat at constant volume of the mixture can be derived using the equations for monoatomic and diatomic gases, and assuming a constant volume process. However, the provided solution using k as a variable is incorrect and should be replaced with R.
Funktimus

Homework Statement

n_1 moles of a monatomic gas and n_2 moles of a diatomic gas are mixed together in a container.

Derive an expression for the molar specific heat at constant volume of the mixture.
My answer can only use the variables n_1 and n_2, and I'm assuming constants.

Homework Equations

Monoatomic gas
E_th = (3/2)nRT
C_v = (3/2)R

Diatomic gas
E_th = (5/2)nRT
C_v = (5/2)R

First Law:
(Change)E_th = W + Q = (n)(C_v)(change in T)

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I'm not sure where to begin.

I'm assuming:
Since volume is constant, that means this is an Isochoric process.
In which case W = 0
Which means (change in E_th) = 0 + Q = n(C_v)(change in T)

So...
for the monoatomic gas
E_1f = (n_1)(C_v)(T) = (3/2)(n_1)(R)(T_1f)

for the diatomic gas
E_2f = (n_2)(C_v)(T) = (5/2)(n_2)(R)(T_2f)

Now I figure this is a process going for thermal equilibrium...
so
T_1f = T_2f = T_f, so I can make the temperature variable T_f from now on.
E_1f = (n_1)/(n_1 + n_2)
E_2f = (n_2)/(n_1 + n_2)
E_tot = E_1f + E_2f
E_tot = (3/2)(n_1)(R)(T_f) + (5/2)(n_2)(R)(T_f)

I don't know where I'm going with this. Can someone tell me if I'm going in the right direction?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
What's wrong with the following?
U=n1 3/2 kT + n2 5/2 kT

C=dU/dT=n1 3/2 k +n2 5/2 k

I dunno, apparently it's wrong. Cause that's what I initially plugged in. It told me k is not a variable, and I should use R, which is lame that it didn't say that in the first place. I converted k to R using avogaddies number and its still says its wrong.

1. What is the significance of the molar specific heat equation?

The molar specific heat equation is used to calculate the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one mole of a substance by one degree. This equation is important in thermodynamics and is used to understand the behavior of substances under different temperature conditions.

2. How is the molar specific heat equation derived?

The molar specific heat equation is derived using the first law of thermodynamics and the ideal gas law. It involves manipulating the equations to isolate the molar specific heat term, which is then expressed as a function of other variables such as temperature and pressure.

3. What are the assumptions made in deriving the molar specific heat equation?

The molar specific heat equation assumes that the substance being studied is an ideal gas, meaning that it follows the ideal gas law and its particles have negligible volume. It also assumes that the process is taking place at constant pressure and that the heat capacity of the substance remains constant.

4. Can the molar specific heat equation be used for all substances?

No, the molar specific heat equation is only applicable to ideal gases. For other substances, such as liquids and solids, different equations must be used to calculate their specific heat capacities.

5. How is the molar specific heat equation useful in practical applications?

The molar specific heat equation is commonly used in industries such as chemistry and engineering to design and optimize processes involving heat transfer. It is also used in academic research to study the thermodynamic properties of different substances.