Speed's influence on space time

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of speed and acceleration on space time and the concept of relative time. Marc and Lisa's movements in relation to each other and the theory of special relativity are also discussed. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to refer to a FAQ for a more in-depth understanding of the topic.
tomtom637
HI,
Is space time influencing by the speed or the acceleration ?
Here the following problem :
Marc and lisa are on earth. Marc takes his super spaceship and (from the lisa's point of view) almost reaches the speed of light. Then marc remain still for a few minutes. He doesn't accelerate neither slow down. This is the moment which interests me now. afterwards, he returns to Earth and have a romantic drink with lisa :!)

Well, when marc accelerated, lisa could see (with her super telescope) marc's rolex slowing down. After that, Marc remained for a moment at the same speed before to come back on earth. At this very moment, what difference did it make wether it is lisa or marc who was moving away from each other. As time is relative, there's no absolute time so why would marc's time would be spending slower than lisa's ? We could say that they are together moving from each other. So is space time "bending" only when acceleration occures or just whenever the speed from one thing to another is different ? In that case, why would it be marc's time which slows down and not lisa's.
I hope that makes sense :S

I'm very new to interest about physic, I really found what I was looking for in that forum.
Thanks to all !

Physics news on Phys.org
As you said should be true, the "relative" part is that each person sees the other as traveling at a non-zero speed, and so each should see the other's time intervals as slowed. This is true while the two are traveling (i) relatively away or (ii) while traveling toward each other. BUT, to make a comparison of watches after separating, the relative observers must return. This involves an acceleration on Marc's part...we are now in the realm of non-inertial special relativity (no need for general relativity). For a discussion of all the ins and outs from here on, enjoy the relativity FAQ:
[http://www2.corepower.com:8080/~relfaq/twin_paradox.html]

Last edited by a moderator:
tomtom637 said:
HI,
Is space time influencing by the speed or the acceleration ?
Here the following problem :
Marc and lisa are on earth. Marc takes his super spaceship and (from the lisa's point of view) almost reaches the speed of light. Then marc remain still for a few minutes. He doesn't accelerate neither slow down. This is the moment which interests me now. afterwards, he returns to Earth and have a romantic drink with lisa :!)

Well, when marc accelerated, lisa could see (with her super telescope) marc's rolex slowing down. After that, Marc remained for a moment at the same speed before to come back on earth. At this very moment, what difference did it make wether it is lisa or marc who was moving away from each other. As time is relative, there's no absolute time so why would marc's time would be spending slower than lisa's ? We could say that they are together moving from each other. So is space time "bending" only when acceleration occures or just whenever the speed from one thing to another is different ? In that case, why would it be marc's time which slows down and not lisa's.
At THAT moment, when both Marc and Lisa are in constant motion relative to one another, it doesn't make any difference at all! It is NOT the case that "Marc's time slows down and not Lisa's". Lisa would see Marc's clock (respiration, heartbeat, everything that could be used to measure time) as moving much slower than her's and Marc would observe Lisa's clock (etc.) as moving much slower than his.

Now, when they got back together in the same frame of reference, Lisa, not having undergone any acceleration (which is NOT "relative") would see Marc as having aged less than her and Marc would observe the same.

I hope that makes sense :S

I'm very new to interest about physic, I really found what I was looking for in that forum.
Thanks to all !

1. How does speed affect space and time?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, speed has a direct influence on both space and time. As an object approaches the speed of light, time slows down and space contracts. This effect is known as time dilation and length contraction.

2. Can speed change the fabric of space-time?

Yes, as an object moves through space, it creates ripples in the fabric of space-time. These ripples, known as gravitational waves, are caused by the object's speed and mass and can be detected by sensitive instruments.

3. How does gravity affect the relationship between speed and space-time?

Gravity also plays a role in the relationship between speed and space-time. According to Einstein's theory, mass and energy can bend the fabric of space-time, affecting the path of objects moving through it.

4. Can an object travel faster than the speed of light and affect space-time?

No, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel, and nothing can exceed it. Therefore, an object cannot travel faster than the speed of light and affect space-time in the same way.

5. How does speed impact the concept of simultaneity in space-time?

Simultaneity, the idea of events happening at the same time, is relative and can be affected by an object's speed. Two events that may appear simultaneous to an observer at rest may appear to happen at different times to an observer moving at a high speed relative to them.