Space - time and the illusion of time

• I
  • Thread starter thegroundhog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space Time
In summary, the two books discuss the idea that time is just thermal entropy and that it can slow down or speed up depending on various factors. They argue that this cannot coexist with the idea of time being an illusion, but in reality, it is both.
thegroundhog
TL;DR Summary
If time is an illusion why would it slow down under gravity or at high speed?
I have just finished reading The Order of Time by Carlo Rovelli and From Eternity to Here by Sean Carroll.
I feel I finally understand that time is simply thermal entropy, but they both also talk about space-time and how time slows under gravity and at high speed. If time is just an illusion as they both purport then why would time go slower or faster in gravity and at speed.
The two arguments can't co-exist.

• Skeptical
Likes Motore
Physics news on Phys.org
Time isn't an illusion. Not in physics.

Likes comradevaishakh, russ_watters, vanhees71 and 1 other person
Moderator's note: Thread level changed to "I".

Likes russ_watters
Time is what clocks measure. If it is measurable, then in what way is it an illusion?

Likes russ_watters and vanhees71
thegroundhog said:
I have just finished reading The Order of Time by Carlo Rovelli and From Eternity to Here by Sean Carroll.

Both of these are pop science books, not textbooks or peer-reviewed papers. So you should not expect to be able to learn the actual physics from them. You should look up papers by Rovelli or Carroll if you want to see the actual physical arguments they are making in a form that provides a valid basis for understanding and discussion.

Likes vanhees71
Maybe, but I'd like to see a quote from either that actually says "illusion" or "is simply themal entropy." That would surprise me.

Likes Vanadium 50
thegroundhog said:
I feel I finally understand that time is simply thermal entropy

Based on it you may be able to make a clock. Say a droplet of ink diffuse in water vessel. Inflation of ink color in the water could tell you what time it is.

PeroK said:
Time isn't an illusion. Not in physics.
Mathematical time- A construct created to measure motion
Newtonian time- A space-time non reality
Einsteinian time- A space-time reality

Space and time being two sides of the same thing, both distort in the presence of mass or when relatively accelerated. Physics uses the term "time" as a construct to measure motion AND to describe the reality that is space-time.

Newtonian time is a non reality because it requires a single universal moment for everything to exist in but relativity shows that time dilates so this can not be the case, an accelerated particle being almost suspended in time does not exist at the same time as non accelerated particles.

Einsteinian time is the reality, it replaces the idea of a universal moment with moments that are relative and exist at different times.

• Sad
  • Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy and PeroK
Julius Ceasar said:
Space and time being two sides of the same thing, both distort in the presence of mass or when relatively accelerated.

No, acceleration (meaning proper acceleration due to, say, being in a rocket whose engine is firing) does not distort spacetime. You can have an accelerating rocket in flat spacetime.

There will be time dilation between the bottom and top of an accelerating rocket in flat spacetime, but that does not mean the spacetime is curved.

Julius Ceasar said:
an accelerated particle being almost suspended in time does not exist at the same time as non accelerated particles

I have no idea what you mean by this. It doesn't look like anything that's actually in relativity theory.

Julius Ceasar said:
Einsteinian time is the reality, it replaces the idea of a universal moment with moments that are relative and exist at different times.

There is relativity of simultaneity in relativity, but "moments that are relative and exist at different times" is not a good description of relativity of simultaneity.

Perhaps the dual/tri use of the term time is being lost here, the OP says time cannot be both an illusion and a reality at the same time and he is right, the term "time" in minkowski space is a mathematical use so is measuring a rockets acceleration/motion, time isn't this mathematical illusion, not in reality.

Like the OP I have no idea how physics let's the two arguments co-exist, to be clear Peter I am talking about the reality not the illusion, can you take a stance here so I know what you're talking about please.

Julius Ceasar said:
Like the OP I have no idea how physics let's the two arguments co-exist

Before one can even form an opinion on that, one needs to be reading actual physics arguments, i.e., actual physics textbooks or peer-reviewed papers, not pop science books, as I pointed out in post #5.

Julius Ceasar said:
to be clear Peter I am talking about the reality not the illusion

In the post of yours that I responded to, you were not, as far as I could tell, talking about any valid physics at all, for the reasons I gave in my response.

Julius Ceasar said:
can you take a stance here

A stance on what? On all the ways that an ordinary language word like "time" can be misused in pop science discussions?

If you mean a stance on whether the actual physical effects referred to in the OP, which can be summed up under the term "differential aging" (i.e., different paths through spacetime between the same events can have different lengths, i.e., elapsed times), of course those effects are real. They've been measured in controlled experiments. Whether you want to use "time" to refer to those effects is a matter of words, not physics.

Likes Vanadium 50 and PeroK
A definition of time, real or illusion ?

Julius Ceasar said:
A definition of time, real or illusion ?
See post #4.

#4 ok what clocks measure
Mathematical time- A construct created to measure motion
you're stance is time is an illusion
general relativity is in trouble

• Skeptical
  • Sad
Likes Vanadium 50, Motore, weirdoguy and 1 other person
Thread closed for moderation.

1. What is space-time?

Space-time is a concept in physics that combines the three dimensions of space (length, width, and height) with the dimension of time. It is often described as a four-dimensional continuum, where events are located in both space and time.

2. Is time an illusion?

The idea of time being an illusion is a philosophical concept that has been debated for centuries. In physics, time is considered a fundamental aspect of the universe and is not considered an illusion. However, some theories suggest that our perception of time may be distorted or subjective.

3. How does space-time affect gravity?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, space-time is curved by the presence of mass and energy. This curvature is what we experience as gravity. The more massive an object is, the more it curves space-time, and the stronger its gravitational pull.

4. Can we time travel through space-time?

Time travel through space-time is a popular concept in science fiction, but it is currently not possible according to our current understanding of physics. While some theories suggest that time travel may be possible in the future, it would require advanced technology and a deep understanding of space-time.

5. How does space-time affect the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of special relativity, the speed of light is constant and is the fastest speed at which energy, matter, and information can travel. Space-time is also affected by the presence of mass and energy, which can cause the path of light to bend or curve, but it does not affect its speed.