Where to go for engineering grad school?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the individual's dilemma in choosing a graduate program in the computer or robotics field. They have already applied to the ECE program at UofT and are considering other schools such as UW, Queens, and UBC, but have not taken the GRE for US schools. They also inquired about good schools in Europe and the usefulness of various courses in their field. Suggestions were given for Canadian schools, specifically McGill and the University of Alberta, as well as the Ecole Technologie Superieure in Montreal. Ultimately, the decision to pursue graduate studies or enter the workforce was left up to the individual.
Question
So I went and did engineering science at uoft in their computer option. Time to graduate and I have no clue where to go now.

I have applied to ECE program at UofT since their deadline was Jan 7 but not sure where else to apply now.

What are some good grad school in the computer or robotics field? I'm looking at applying MIE and/or UTIAS at UofT, ECE and Systems Designs in UW, and ECE at Queens. UBC deadline has past.

How is Systems Designs at UW? Heard the undergrad one is similar to engsci but engsci doesn't has a grad program?

Don't think Queens engineering program is that great but there is robotics, security, and computer there.

Didn't take the GRE so US is out of the question. Are there good schools in Europe?

Thanks.

Or maybe since I'm not sure about grad studies, I should go out and work instead.

Side question: which seems to be more useful - digital signal processing, AI, optimizing compilers, or FPGA design project course?

Physics news on Phys.org
Question said:
Didn't take the GRE so US is out of the question. Are there good schools in Europe?
Some schools in the states don't require the GRE, or you have enough time to take it before the application is due.

which seems to be more useful - digital signal processing, AI, optimizing compilers, or FPGA design project course?
Depends on what you're interested in, but there are lots of jobs for/related to all of the above.

Since I'm not a software type, perhaps I'll speak to the robotics half of your question.

If you're looking at Canadian Universities, a friend of mine went to McGill after his Ph.D., at the Centre for Intelligent Machines:
http://www.cim.mcgill.ca/

His first degrees were from my faculty / department, Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Alberta and though there are a few faculty members and research groups in robotics in engineering (mostly in electrical--controls and software for the most part--and mechanical), there isn't quite the same concentration as at McGill. CompSci has a relatively large robotics focus (machine intelligence, vision systems, etc.--mostly software-related).
http://www.engineering.uAlberta.ca/ece/
http://www.engineering.uAlberta.ca/mece/
http://www.cs.uAlberta.ca/research/research-areas/robotics

I was going to ask how your French was, but I seem to have been mistaken about the size of Ecole Technologie Superieure's robotics program (when I was with an undergraduate robotics team, we kept on running into their team at various events--good folks):
http://www.etsmtl.ca/zone2/recherche/labo/CoRo/en/people.html

While not exhaustive, hopefully this helps expand the list a little. Figuring out whether or not you actually want to do graduate studies, well, that part's up to you!

EDIT: And welcome to PhysicsForums!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the top engineering grad schools in the country?

The top engineering grad schools in the country vary depending on the specific field of engineering. However, some of the most highly ranked schools include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Stanford University, University of California-Berkeley, and California Institute of Technology (Caltech).

2. How do I choose the right engineering grad school for me?

When choosing an engineering grad school, it is important to consider the program's reputation, faculty expertise, research opportunities, and location. It is also beneficial to visit the campus and talk to current students and faculty members to get a better sense of the school's culture and resources.

3. What are the admission requirements for engineering grad school?

Admission requirements for engineering grad school typically include a bachelor's degree in a related field, strong undergraduate coursework, letters of recommendation, GRE scores, and a personal statement. Some programs may also require relevant work experience or a research proposal.

4. How long does it take to complete an engineering grad program?

The length of an engineering grad program varies depending on the specific degree and whether the student is attending full-time or part-time. On average, a master's degree in engineering takes 1-2 years to complete, while a Ph.D. program can take 4-6 years.

5. Are there any financial aid options available for engineering grad school?

Many engineering grad programs offer financial aid options such as scholarships, grants, and assistantships. It is important to research the financial aid options available at each school and to apply for any relevant scholarships or grants. Additionally, some employers may offer tuition assistance for employees pursuing further education in engineering.