Complex impedance of parallel RC circuit

In summary, the conversation is about a parallel RC circuit with R = 80 Ohm and C = 30 uF. The answer for the complex impedance is supposed to be 40-j40, but the person is having trouble getting to that answer. They have shown their working and are wondering if they are doing something wrong or if the book's answer is incorrect. The conversation concludes with the person confirming that their work is correct and thanking the expert for their input.
eng_stud
In my book (Storey), there's an exercise with a parallel RC circuit, where R = 80 Ohm and C = 30 uF. The answer for the complex impedance is supposed to be 40-j40, however I can't seem to get there! I've showed my working under. Am I doing something wrong, or is the book's answer wrong? (freq =200 Hz)

[tex]\frac{Z_R Z_C}{Z_R +Z_C} = \frac{-RjX_C}{R-jX_C} \frac{R+jX_C}{R+jX_C}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{RX_C^2 -R^2 j X_C}{R^2 + X_C^2} = \frac{R(1/\omega C)^2 - jR^2 (1/\omega C)}{R^2 + (1/\omega C)^2}[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{80*(\frac{1}{2 \pi *200 * 30 *10^{-6}})^2 - j80^2 * (\frac{1}{2\pi * 200* 30 *20^{-6}} ) }{80^2 + (\frac{1}{2\pi * 200 * 30*10^{-6}})^2}[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{56289.5 - j169765.3}{7103.6} \approx = 8 - j23[/tex]

Am I just too tired when doing these calculations?;-)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work is fine.

Thanks!

Related to Complex impedance of parallel RC circuit

1. What is the definition of complex impedance?

Complex impedance is a measure of the total opposition that a circuit presents to the flow of alternating current. It takes into account both the resistance and reactance of the circuit and is represented by a complex number.

2. How is complex impedance calculated for a parallel RC circuit?

The complex impedance of a parallel RC circuit can be calculated using the formula Z = R || (1/jωC), where R is the resistance, ω is the angular frequency, and C is the capacitance. This formula takes into account both the resistance and reactance components of the circuit.

3. What is the significance of the phase angle in a parallel RC circuit?

The phase angle in a parallel RC circuit represents the phase difference between the voltage and current in the circuit. It is an important factor in understanding the behavior of the circuit and can be used to calculate the power factor.

4. How does the frequency affect the complex impedance of a parallel RC circuit?

The frequency has a significant impact on the complex impedance of a parallel RC circuit. As the frequency increases, the reactance of the capacitor decreases, resulting in a decrease in the overall impedance. At very high frequencies, the capacitor's reactance becomes negligible, and the circuit behaves as a purely resistive circuit.

5. What are some practical applications of parallel RC circuits?

Parallel RC circuits are commonly used in electronic filters, where they can block certain frequencies of an input signal. They are also used in power supplies to smooth out the output voltage and in audio equipment to adjust the tone and volume. Additionally, parallel RC circuits are used in timing circuits and as voltage dividers in electronic circuits.