Solve Series RC Circuit for Capacitance & Currents

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of capacitance and active/reactive currents in a circuit consisting of three lamps connected in parallel, a capacitor in series, and a 230 V 50 Hz power supply. The formula for calculating capacitance is used to find the required value, and the phase difference is used to calculate the active and reactive currents. Alternatively, the computation can be done using impedance and Ohm's law.
fonz

Homework Statement

Three lamps are rated 110 V, 60 W. They are connected in parallel and a capacitor is connected in series with the group. The circuit is then connected to a 230 V 50 Hz power supply. Detremine:

a) The capacitance which is required to provide the correct voltage across the lamps.
b) The active and reactive currents.

Homework Equations

##P = 60 W, U_S = 230 V, U_R = 110 V, f = 50 Hz##

##C = \frac {1} {2 \pi f X_C}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a)

##U_C = \sqrt {230^2 - 110^2} = 202 V##

##I = \frac {3P} {U_R} = \frac {3*60} {110} = 1.63 A##

##X_C = \frac {U_C} {I} = \frac {202} {1.63} = 124 \Omega##

##C = \frac {1} {2 \pi f X_C} = \frac {1} {2*110*50 \pi} = 25.7 \mu F##

Part b)

##\phi = \cos^{-1} (\frac {U_R} {U_S}) = \cos^{-1} (\frac {110} {230}) = 61.4^{\circ}##

##I_C = I \sin (\phi) = 1.63 \sin (61.4) = 1.42 A##

##I_R = I \cos (\phi) = 1.63 \cos (61.4) = 0.79 A##

I'm pretty confident this is correct but really my question is: is there a way of answering part b without working out the phase difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
fonz said:
I'm pretty confident this is correct but really my question is: is there a way of answering part b without working out the phase difference?
You could do the computation using impedance (complex arithmetic). Then it's just Ohm's law to find the circuit's current.

Likes fonz
gneill said:
You could do the computation using impedance (complex arithmetic). Then it's just Ohm's law to find the circuit's current.

Thanks for the help.

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series. This type of circuit is commonly used in electronics to control the flow of electrical currents.

2. How do you calculate the capacitance in an RC circuit?

The capacitance in an RC circuit can be calculated using the equation C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance in farads (F), Q is the charge on the capacitor in coulombs (C), and V is the voltage across the capacitor in volts (V).

3. What is the time constant in an RC circuit?

The time constant, denoted by the symbol τ, is a measure of the rate at which a capacitor charges or discharges in an RC circuit. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) in ohms (Ω) by the capacitance (C) in farads (F), giving a unit of seconds (s).

4. How do you solve for the current in an RC circuit?

The current in an RC circuit can be calculated using the equation I = I0e-t/τ, where I is the current at a given time, I0 is the initial current, t is the time in seconds (s), and τ is the time constant of the circuit.

5. Can you use an RC circuit to filter out certain frequencies?

Yes, an RC circuit can be used as a low-pass or high-pass filter to block or allow certain frequencies to pass through the circuit. The cut-off frequency, at which the output voltage is reduced by half, can be calculated using the equation fc = 1/(2πRC), where fc is the cut-off frequency in hertz (Hz), R is the resistance in ohms (Ω), and C is the capacitance in farads (F).