What Volume of Ethanoic Acid is Needed to Neutralize 25ml of 0.1 M NaOH?

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with a chemistry problem involving neutralization. They have 25 ml of 0.1 M NaOH and need to know what volume of 0.1 M ethanoic acid will neutralize it. Their initial solution was incorrect and they believe the correct volume of ethanoic acid should be greater than 25 ml. However, the actual amount needed is only slightly greater and can be calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbach equation. The pH of the final solution should be close to neutral and only a small amount of additional acid will be needed to reach pH=7.
grey
Hi,

I came across a problem, which I might have solved a few years ago when I had studied Chemistry, but now I am totally stumped. Would appreciate some quick solutions.

I have 25 ml of 0.1 M NaOH, and a volume of 0.1 M of Ethanoic Acid. What volume of ethanoic acid would neutralize the 25 ml of the base?

I have a hand on this, but my solution is wrong because it gives 25 ml of ethanoic acid, which shouldn't be the case and that the volume must be greater than 25 ml.

Thanks in advance!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
grey said:
Hi,

I came across a problem, which I might have solved a few years ago when I had studied Chemistry, but now I am totally stumped. Would appreciate some quick solutions.

I have 25 ml of 0.1 M NaOH, and a volume of 0.1 M of Ethanoic Acid. What volume of ethanoic acid would neutralize the 25 ml of the base?

I have a hand on this, but my solution is wrong because it gives 25 ml of ethanoic acid, which shouldn't be the case and that the volume must be greater than 25 ml.

Thanks in advance!

It is greater, but only by a very small amount. Assuming you haven't made any typos above, you will have reached the equivalence point after adding your 25 mL of 0.1 M acetic acid. You can then consider that you have a 0.05 M solution of sodium acetate. The pH of that solution is already pretty close to neutral, but if you really need to know how much more you need to add to get it to neutrality (pH=7), you can use the Henderson-Hasselbach equation to calculate the final concentrations of acetic acid and acetate that you need for your final solution. Since the buffering region of acetic acid/acetate mixtures is between pH=3.75 and pH=5.75 or so, it should take only a very small amount of additional acid to get to pH=7.

1. What is a weak acid plus a strong base?

A weak acid plus a strong base is a type of acid-base reaction where a weak acid reacts with a strong base to form a salt and water. This reaction is also known as a neutralization reaction.

2. What are the characteristics of a weak acid?

A weak acid is an acid that only partially dissociates in water. This means that in a solution, there will be a mixture of both the weak acid and its conjugate base, resulting in a lower concentration of hydrogen ions. Weak acids have a higher pH and are less corrosive compared to strong acids.

3. How does a weak acid plus a strong base reaction occur?

In a weak acid plus strong base reaction, the strong base will react with the weak acid to form its conjugate base and water. The reaction occurs through a process called proton transfer, where the strong base accepts a proton from the weak acid, resulting in the formation of a salt and water.

4. What factors affect the strength of a weak acid plus strong base reaction?

The strength of a weak acid plus strong base reaction can be influenced by several factors, including the concentration of the reactants, temperature, and the presence of other substances that can affect the equilibrium of the reaction. The strength of the weak acid itself will also play a significant role in the reaction.

5. What are some real-life applications of weak acid plus strong base reactions?

Weak acid plus strong base reactions are commonly used in the production of fertilizers, cleaning products, and pharmaceutical drugs. They are also essential in the food and beverage industry for processes such as fermentation and preservation. Additionally, these reactions play a critical role in maintaining the pH balance in our bodies and in various environmental processes such as neutralization of acidic water bodies.