Kinetic energy and potential energy work

In summary: Assuming that the speed at B is correct, then the speed you calculated for point C seems correct to... me.
mtayab1994

Homework Statement

Look at the attachment

Please tell me if there is anything wrong with my work because apparently my teacher thinks its wrong.

test correction.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you please state the problem and what you are asked to find?

Doc Al said:
Can you please state the problem and what you are asked to find?

1. calculate the work of W.

2. calculate the tension or w.e its called of T.

3. a/ write the potential energy in terms of m,g,r',and Zc

b/ find the speed of the body (s) at the point β=60°

sorry I'm learning this stuff in a different language so I'm just translating it by myself.

Last edited:
I'm a bit puzzled by the problem. You are given both the distance traveled and the speed at point B? (Seems like you should be able to calculate the speed given the distance.)

Doc Al said:
I'm a bit puzzled by the problem. You are given both the distance traveled and the speed at point B? (Seems like you should be able to calculate the speed given the distance.)

yea i did solve it and it came out to 2m/s and everything else is correct and i don't know how my teacher thinks its wrong.

Doc Al said:

Yea i did solve the speed at the point c when it has traveled 60° on the ramp. Everything is on the paper i just want to know if there is anything wrong with it.

mtayab1994 said:
yea i did solve it and it came out to 2m/s and everything else is correct and i don't know how my teacher thinks its wrong.
I did not solve for the speed myself, but it seems as if you're saying that it comes out to be 2 m/s. Yet on your sheet it seems to be given as 3 m/s. Something's wrong somewhere.

Did the statement of the problem include the speed at point B?

No that speed is for when the body is at the point B. We have to find the speed of it when it's at point C.

mtayab1994 said:
No that speed is for when the body is at the point B.
Once again I ask: Are you given both the distance AB and the speed at point B? (If so, you should check that the speed at B is correct by solving for it directly.)

Doc Al said:
Once again I ask: Are you given both the distance AB and the speed at point B? (If so, you should check that the speed at B is correct by solving for it directly.)

Yes i am given AB=1m and Vb=3m/s but the question was to find the speed at the point C.

And i used the law of conservation of mechanical energy to solve for the speed at the point c and i got 2m/s. You are given 3m/s just so you use it to solve for c.

For the speed at point B try the following:

EpotA = EkinB

mgh = m/2*v²

v = sqrt(2gh) (h=0,5m)

Check what you did differently, and that's where you went wrong.

EDIT: Ah... Energy at point C... oops.

Malor said:
For the speed at point B try the following:

EpotA = EkinB

mgh = m/2*v²

v = sqrt(2gh) (h=0,5m)

Check what you did differently, and that's where you went wrong.

no man i don't need the speed at the point b i need the speed at point c where i found it to be 2m/s. I don't know why you guys think i need to find the speed at b. I was given that stuff on the top right corner of the paper.

mtayab1994 said:
Yes i am given AB=1m and Vb=3m/s but the question was to find the speed at the point C.
Did you check that Vb = 3 m/s is correct? My point is that given AB = 1m, you should be able to solve for Vb. They shouldn't have to give it to you.

Doc Al said:
Did you check that Vb = 3 m/s is correct? My point is that given AB = 1m, you should be able to solve for Vb. They shouldn't have to give it to you.

Ok i'll check the speed at b right now and we given the speed at the point b so we can use it to find the speed at c and is my speed for c correct?

mtayab1994 said:
Ok i'll check the speed at b right now and we given the speed at the point b so we can use it to find the speed at c and is my speed for c correct?
Assuming that the speed at B is correct, then the speed you calculated for point C seems correct to me.

i found the speed at b is 3.16m/s but he gave it to us as 3m/s.

Doc Al said:
Assuming that the speed at B is correct, then the speed you calculated for point C seems correct to me.

Yea that's all i wanted to know, he just counted it wrong for me for no reason.

With

Erad = 1/2 Jω², ω=v/b, b=2/6∏r

EkinB - Erad - EpotC = EkinC

=> vB²-2r²(v²/((2/6)∏r)²-2gh=v² => v=1.32m/s says my calculator

Last edited:
Malor said:
deleted

deleted what?

mtayab1994 said:
deleted what?

I deleted something that I thought made no sense and replaced it with what I think the answer to be ;p

With

Erad = 1/2 Jω², ω=v/b, b=2/6∏r

EkinB - Erad - EpotC = EkinC

=> vB²-2r²(v²/((2/6)∏r)²-2gh=v² => v=1.32m/s says my calculator

h = cos 60 * r

Because at point C, the object has kinetic, potential and rotational Energy.

Malor said:
I deleted something that I thought made no sense and replaced it with what I think the answer to be ;p

h = cos 60 * r

Because at point C, the object has kinetic, potential and rotational Energy.

I don't think so because the answer is 2m/s.

1. What is kinetic energy and how does it work?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and the square of its velocity. The faster an object moves, the more kinetic energy it has. This energy can be transferred from one object to another through collisions or can be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat.

2. How is potential energy different from kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state. It is stored energy that can be converted into kinetic energy. The two types of potential energy are gravitational potential energy, which is based on an object's height and mass, and elastic potential energy, which is based on an object's deformation from its original shape.

3. How does work relate to kinetic and potential energy?

Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another. When a force is applied to an object and causes it to move, work is being done and the object gains kinetic energy. Similarly, when an object is lifted or stretched, work is being done against gravity or an elastic force, and the object gains potential energy.

4. Can kinetic energy and potential energy be converted into each other?

Yes, kinetic energy and potential energy are interchangeable. Kinetic energy can be converted into potential energy and vice versa. For example, a roller coaster car gains kinetic energy as it moves down a hill, but as it reaches the top of the next hill, that kinetic energy is converted into potential energy due to its increased height. This conversion continues as the roller coaster moves along the track.

5. How do temperature and speed affect kinetic energy?

Temperature and speed are directly related to an object's kinetic energy. As the temperature of an object increases, the particles within it move faster, resulting in an increase in kinetic energy. Similarly, as an object's speed increases, its kinetic energy also increases. This is because the kinetic energy is dependent on the square of the object's velocity, meaning that even a small increase in speed can result in a significant increase in kinetic energy.