2 post lift with lead screw and rope drive

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of lead screw and rope drive in a motorized carriage system. The problem being faced is that the follower carriage is not being lifted immediately when the motor is switched on, leading to a difference in height between the two carriages. Suggestions are made to either add a take-up device such as a spring or to preload the wire rope, but these solutions have not been successful. The possibility of using a winch with a worm wheel arrangement is also mentioned, but it would be costly.
mithleshkj
Actually i am using lead screw drive by motor along with rope drive. If you will see the attachment, yuo can clearly understand the working principle.
In this working priniciple, when we used to start the motor, carriage power use to go up through lead screw drive.Rope is connected to this power carriage which through pulley is got connected to follower carriage.
once the power carriage is going up,it pulls the rope and follower carriage and thus both the carriage is taking the load.
problem what i am facing is that power carriage start going up immediately as i switch on the motor but follower carriage is getting lifted once the rope get tensed and overcome the slackness.
Due to this i am getting 50-60mm level difference between the two carriage.
can someone suggest is there some way to avoid this problem or some other rope which can be used.
I am using steel wire rope 10mm dia for this

Attachments

• lead screw with rope drive.pdf
    89.1 KB · Views: 375
Engineering news on Phys.org
Some sort of take-up device (spring, maybe?) to keep the chain taut.

Either preload the wire rope as suggested (loop all the way around and pre-tension), or add a 2nd screw jack and tie them together with sprockets and chain (or gearboxes and shaft). Might be simpler to change to purchased screw jacks (Duff Norton, Joyce Dayton, Nook) and tie their inputs together.
Nothing has been indicated regarding load or safety concerns...

it is not possible to adda spring as end of wire rope got clamping connector thread rod type to tighten it.also this wire rope will be keep on moving on pulley.
any other way?

even after using pre loading wire rope, i am facing the same issue.
rope is getting tightened once load is acting on it. without load, it is slacking

mithleshkj said:
even after using pre loading wire rope, i am facing the same issue.
rope is getting tightened once load is acting on it. without load, it is slacking

Preloading eliminates/minimizes slack; ideally the rope will always be under tension. I just noticed that the load mass is 2000 kg. The preload on the wire should likely be at least 1000 lbf (per above you need a full loop of rope) in order to eliminate the slack. Preload doesn't significantly increase drive force required (some due to additional rope mass, pulley inertia and friction), only belt tension and bearing loads (as well as structural loads).

Can you maybe keep the weight of the carriage on the rope at all times? How much does the carriage weigh relative to the load?

How about disconnecting the screw side carriage from the load and adding a rope and pulleys to that side so that both sides react the same way to the load?

I have discussed with rope manufacturer and asked them regarding pre loading and pre stretching,but that also is not working out.
#weight can't be kept on carriage all the time as weight has to bring down.when load is not in the carriage,difference of 10mm is cmoing which is going to 50-60mm with load
#if i am connecting the screw side carriage with rope and pulley,than for lifting the carriage up, i have to used some winch type mechanism with worm wheel arrangement to have speed reduction ratio as motor RPM is 1440.the whole set up will be costly.

1. How does a 2 post lift with lead screw and rope drive work?

A 2 post lift with lead screw and rope drive works by using a lead screw, which is a long threaded rod, to lift and lower the vehicle. The screw is turned by a motor, which is connected to a rope drive. The rope drive transfers the rotational force to the screw, causing it to move up or down. This mechanism allows for precise and controlled lifting of the vehicle.

2. What are the benefits of using a 2 post lift with lead screw and rope drive?

One of the main benefits of using this type of lift is its versatility. The lead screw and rope drive mechanism allows for a wide range of lifting heights and weight capacities, making it suitable for various types of vehicles. Additionally, the precise control and stability of the lift make it safer and more efficient compared to other types of lifts.

3. How does the lead screw and rope drive differ from other lifting mechanisms?

The lead screw and rope drive mechanism differs from other lifting mechanisms, such as hydraulic lifts, in the way it transfers force. While hydraulic lifts use pressurized fluid to lift the vehicle, the lead screw and rope drive use a mechanical system, which allows for more precise and controlled movement. This also means that the lead screw and rope drive lift does not require regular maintenance or replacement of hydraulic fluids.

4. What are some common applications for a 2 post lift with lead screw and rope drive?

This type of lift is commonly used in automotive repair shops, car dealerships, and other maintenance facilities. It is suitable for lifting cars, trucks, and SUVs, making it a versatile option for a variety of vehicles. It is also often used in DIY garages, as it is relatively easy to install and does not require as much space as other types of lifts.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when using a 2 post lift with lead screw and rope drive?

Yes, it is important to follow all safety guidelines and instructions provided by the manufacturer when using this type of lift. Some key precautions include ensuring the lift is on a level surface, using safety locks to prevent the vehicle from falling, and never exceeding the weight capacity of the lift. Regular maintenance and inspections should also be performed to ensure the lift is in proper working condition.