3D Printer Stepper Motor Torque Requirements Using Gear Reduction

In summary, the person is building a core xy 3D Printer and they want to use a belt driven Z axis. They are using a system similar to the one below, but they want to use a 20 tooth pulley on the stepper motors and 60 tooth to drive the belt that moves the print bed up and down. The bed will be riding on mgn12 linear rails. The weight of the bed is why the person has this question. They are using a cast aluminum bed and the carriage it is attached to is made of extruded aluminum profiles. The bed itself is around 1.7kg, so all together, the person is thinking they need to be able to lift at least 7kg, maybe 7.
eclorian
TL;DR Summary
I want to create a belt driven Z axis for my 3D printer and need to know the required gear size and/or stepper motor torque.
I hope to explore mechanical engineering one day so I can answer these kinds of questions on my own, but until then, I appeal to anyone that knows how to do this to help me.

I am building a core xy 3D Printer and I want to use a belt driven Z axis. I will have 3 or 4 stepper motors to drive the belts, depending on the requirments to lift the bed. My current idea is to use a system similar to the one below, but mine would have a 20 tooth pulley on the stepper motors and 60 tooth to drive the belt that moves the print bed up and down. Honestly, this is strictly a cost saving measure, but I'd hate to waste the money and then find out I have to have an 80t or 100t pulley instead of the 60. The bed will be riding on mgn12 linear rails.

The weight of my bed is why I have this question.

I am using a cast aluminum bed and the carriage it is attached to is made of extruded aluminum profiles. The bed itself is around 1.7kg, so all together, I'm thinking I need to be able to lift at least 7kg, maybe 7.5 just to make sure it can lift any large prints in the future. I'm not entirely sure what is used in the picture, but I believe its a 20 tooth to 100 tooth that is attached to another 20 tooth pulley, with a 20 tooth idler pulley at the other side of the belt. I think the strongest Nema 17 motors I can get are 84oz in. (I'm not sure what the actual torque is, pretty sure that's just the holding torque)

Will a 60 and 20 tooth work for this on 3 points, or should I use 4, or should I use bigger pulleys?

Thank you for any help!

EDIT: I forgot to mention it doesn't require a lot of speed. The z axis really just needs to be able to move, but it doesn't need to move quickly. I think something like 5mm/s is sufficient, and probably doesn't even need to be that fast.

belt z-axis.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Could you use some sort of counter-balance to compensate for the load to lift?

1. What is a 3D printer stepper motor?

A 3D printer stepper motor is a type of motor that is specifically designed for use in 3D printing. It is used to control the movement of the printer's extruder, which is responsible for depositing the printing material layer by layer to create a 3D object.

2. Why is gear reduction necessary for 3D printer stepper motors?

Gear reduction is necessary for 3D printer stepper motors because it allows for finer control over the motor's movement. By using gears, the motor's rotational speed can be reduced, which results in more precise and accurate movements of the extruder. This is particularly important for creating intricate and detailed 3D prints.

3. How do I calculate the torque requirements for a 3D printer stepper motor with gear reduction?

The torque requirements for a 3D printer stepper motor with gear reduction can be calculated by considering the gear ratio and the torque required to move the extruder. The formula for calculating torque is torque = force x distance, so by knowing the force required to move the extruder and the distance it needs to move, you can determine the necessary torque for the motor.

4. What is the ideal gear ratio for 3D printer stepper motors?

The ideal gear ratio for 3D printer stepper motors will vary depending on the specific application and requirements. However, in general, a gear ratio of 5:1 or higher is recommended for smoother and more precise movements.

5. Can I use a stepper motor without gear reduction in my 3D printer?

Yes, it is possible to use a stepper motor without gear reduction in a 3D printer. However, this may result in less precise movements and may not be suitable for creating highly detailed prints. Gear reduction is generally recommended for optimal performance in 3D printing applications.