Linear force on lead screw drive

In summary, a lead screw drive with a stepper motor producing 280 oz-in of torque is attached to a 1/2 inch diameter, .200" pitch, 2 start lead screw. The attached metal plate can exert a force in linear motion, which can be calculated using design equations found through online searches. Persistence and creativity in search wording may be necessary to find the desired information.
Nico33
I have a lead screw drive. The stepper motor puts out 280 oz-in of torque. Its attached to a 1/2 inch dia., .200" pitch, 2 start lead screw. There is a plate that's attached to the screw that moves back and forth along the screw. How much force can that metal plate exert in a linear motion?

Engineering news on Phys.org
This sounds like homework, have you done any work to try and solve this problem? Even something as simple as an internet search?

Likes Nico33
It's not homework. It's for my job. It's a problem we're trying to solve. I've been doing online searches for quite some time now.

That is very helpful, thank you. Maybe I was wording it incorrectly when I was searching.

I understand, just be persistent and imaginative in rewording your searchs. Sometimes, when I search I have to restate my search description several times in order to find what I looking for; and, even that does not reveal information that I am sure is out there somewhere.

What is a linear force on lead screw drive?

A linear force on lead screw drive is a type of mechanical drive system used to convert rotational motion into linear motion. It consists of a lead screw (a threaded shaft) and a nut that travels along the length of the screw as it rotates. The linear force is created by the helical threads of the screw pushing against the nut.

How does a linear force on lead screw drive work?

The lead screw is attached to a motor or other source of rotational motion. As the screw rotates, the nut moves along the threads, creating linear motion. The amount of linear force generated depends on the pitch of the screw (the distance between each thread) and the torque of the motor.

What are the advantages of using a linear force on lead screw drive?

One of the main advantages of using a linear force on lead screw drive is its high precision and repeatability. The threads of the screw and nut provide a smooth and accurate movement, making it suitable for applications that require precise positioning. Additionally, it is a simple and cost-effective solution for converting rotational motion into linear motion.

What are the common applications of a linear force on lead screw drive?

Linear force on lead screw drives are commonly used in various industrial and scientific applications, such as CNC machines, 3D printers, robotics, and medical devices. They are also used in everyday objects, such as garage door openers and adjustable desk chairs.

What factors should be considered when selecting a linear force on lead screw drive?

When selecting a linear force on lead screw drive, some important factors to consider include the load capacity, speed and accuracy requirements, environmental conditions, and available space for installation. The pitch and diameter of the screw, as well as the type of nut and lubrication, should also be carefully chosen to meet the specific needs of the application.