Calculating Insulation Thickness

In summary: Ignore them, they won't contribute. You need to find the surface area of the cylinder. S=4*pi*r2*(diameter-r2)/2=4*pi*0.155m*(16-0.155)/2=0.505m2.
Voltux
I'm trying to calculate insulation thickness for a foundry, and can't figure it out after spending a few hours searching.

Refractory: Kast-O-Lite

Material Required: 1.44g/cm^3
Thermal Conductivity: 0.65 W/m*C

Maximum inside temperature is 1648*C

I figured there would be a minimum of 10,440 BTU/3057 Watts Required to melt 4.16L of Aluminum

Inside Dimensions "Empty Space" would be 16cm Diameter x 23cm Tall
Outside Dimensions: 31cm Diameter x 44.5cm Tall

The closest thing I found to this would be Insulation thickness calculation for a pipe - EngCyclopedia

However, I cannot figure out how to determine r2

Q=2*pi*k*N*((T1-T2)/ln(r2/r1)

T1=50*C
T2=1648*C
r1=0.1524m
r2=??
k=0.65 (W/m*C)
N=0.2032m

Q=2*pi*0.65*0.2032

Q=0.829883115*(-5198)/(ln(r2/0.1524)

Can anyone help me out, or point me in the right direction?

They say "Rule of Thumb" is 4inches/10cm of refractory. If I could just figure out what the outside temperature of that would be I think it would be helpful.

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a cylindrical chamber?
The total area of the walls would be ##A=\pi hd^2/4##
You need to relate the heat flow through a thickness L of insulating material to the rate that you are supplying heat.

For walls thickness L and thermal conductivity ##k## .. the thermal resistance is $$R=\frac{L}{k A}=\frac{4L}{\pi k hd^2}$$... I think the equation you want is: $$T_{inside}-T_{outside}=\dot{Q}R$$...

The outside temperature would be whatever the working equilibrium temperature of the room should be - take a guess.
If it is just sitting in air, the room will probably get quite hot. With no other information, I'd guess 300K for the outside temperature - which would be uncomfortably warm, and hope there's some sort of ventilation. If you have experience of the kinds of workplaces that use these devices you may be able to make a better guess than that.

r1 is the internal radius, 16cm/2=0.08m, r2 is the external radius, 31cm/2=0.155m. Where did you get 0.1524 from? For the length of cylinder, use the internal height, 0.23m. Where did you get 0.2032m from?
What about the top and bottom of the cylinder?

1. How do you calculate insulation thickness?

To calculate insulation thickness, you need to determine the R-value of the insulation material and the desired R-value for your building. The R-value is a measure of the insulation's ability to resist heat flow. Once you have these values, you can use the following formula: Insulation Thickness = (Desired R-value - Current R-value) x (Material Thermal Conductivity).

2. What is the R-value and why is it important?

The R-value is a measure of thermal resistance, or how well a material can resist heat flow. It is an important factor in determining the effectiveness of insulation in preventing heat transfer between the interior and exterior of a building. The higher the R-value, the more effective the insulation is at keeping the desired temperature inside the building.

3. What is the material thermal conductivity?

Material thermal conductivity is a measure of how easily heat can pass through a material. It is expressed in watts per meter-kelvin (W/mK) and varies depending on the type of insulation material. It is an important factor to consider when calculating insulation thickness as it affects the overall R-value of the insulation.

4. How does the climate affect insulation thickness?

The climate can affect insulation thickness in two ways. Firstly, the desired R-value for a building will vary depending on the climate zone it is located in. For cold climates, a higher R-value will be required to keep the building warm, while for warm climates, a lower R-value may be sufficient. Secondly, the outdoor temperature and temperature fluctuations will impact the performance of the insulation, so it is important to choose the appropriate thickness for the climate.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when calculating insulation thickness?

Yes, there are other factors to consider when calculating insulation thickness. These include the type of building (residential, commercial, industrial), the building's orientation and design, the type of insulation material, and the installation method. It is important to consult with a professional to determine the best insulation thickness for your specific building and needs.