Proving Infinitely Many Primes p=3 mod 4

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that there exists infinitely many primes p such that p = 3 mod 4, with suggestions that it may be related to Euclid's theorem or Dirichlet's theorem. Various approaches are suggested, including a proof that involves assuming the set of primes of the form 4k+3 is finite and arriving at a contradiction. Ultimately, it is concluded that there exists infinitely many primes of the form 4k+3 through a construction involving the product of these primes and a number congruent to 3 mod 4.
mathusers
hello guys . question here
how can i prove that there exists infinitely many primes p such that p = 3 mod 4.

i have a little inkling as i know that if a,b=1 mod 4 then ab = 1 mod 4. I am guessing it would be along the lines of euclids theorem?

Physics news on Phys.org
well, assuming there is a finite number of such 3mod4 prime numbers, you can add them all together, multiply by 4 and add 3... and you get another 3mod4 prime, thus a contradiction
I only checked like 3 examples but I think that works, only a suggestion, I am terrible with proofs

SpitfireAce said:
well, assuming there is a finite number of such 3mod4 prime numbers, you can add them all together, multiply by 4 and add 3... and you get another 3mod4 prime, thus a contradiction
Why can't that number be a small 3 mod 4 prime multiplied by a lot of 1 mod 4 primes?

Last edited by a moderator:
A much tougher question is to prove that there are infinitely many primes congruent to 1 mod 4.

Hint:

The product of 2 numbers =1mod4 is a number =1mod4.
The product of a number =1mod4 and another =3mod4 is =3mod4.
The product of 2 numbers =3mod4 is =1mod4.

is this proof correct:

assume p1 = 3... pn are primes of form pj = 3 mod 4.
let N = 4p1... pn-1...

First none of the primes pj divides N since pj | N+1, so if we had pj|N then we get pj|(N+1)-N = 1, which is a contradiction.

Now alteast 1 of the prime factors of N has form 3 mod 4. Now N is odd, so if such a prime doesn't exist then all prime factors of N have form p = 1 mod 4, which contradicts the whole construction of N.

Therefore there exists infinitely many primes p such that p = 3 mod 4.

mathusers: is this proof correct?

Seems to be.

werg22: A much tougher question is to prove that there are infinitely many primes congruent to 1 mod 4.

Yes, because 2 primes of the form 4k+3 multiplied together, result in a number of the form 4m+1.

However, here's a proof in a nutshell. For the set of p(j)==1 mod 4, we multiply them all together, multiply by 2, and then get (2A)^2+1.

If a prime of the form q==3 Mod 4 divides this, then we have (2A)^2==-1 Mod q. Thus minus 1 has to be a quadratic residue for q.

But, if u is a quadratic residue Mod p, then u^((p-1)/2)==1 Mod p. Proof: if X^2 ==u Mod p, then X^(p-1) ==1 ==u^((p-1)/2) Mod p.

Thus -1 can not be a quadratic residue for a prime q=4k+3, since (-1)^(2k+1) ==-1 Mod q.

Last edited:
supose that p_1, p_2, p_3, ..., p_r is a list of all (4n + 3) form primes

consider the number N = 4*p_1*p_2*p_3*...*p_r - 1 = 4(p_1*p_2*p_3*...*p_r - 1) + 3

N == 3 mod 4

write N = q_1, q_2, q_3, ..., q_s [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] p_i [tex]\neq[/tex] q_j [tex]\forall[/tex] i,j [tex]\in[/tex] {1,2,3,...}

moreover as dragonfall said:

The product of 2 numbers =1mod4 is a number =1mod4.
The product of a number =1mod4 and another =3mod4 is =3mod4.
The product of 2 numbers =3mod4 is =1mod4.

the conclusion: at least one of the q_1, q_2, q_3, ..., q_s primes are in (4n+3) form, i.e., our list of (4n+3) primes is not finite

1. What is the significance of proving infinitely many primes p=3 mod 4?

Proving infinitely many primes p=3 mod 4 is significant because it is a major unsolved problem in mathematics, known as the "infinitude of primes in arithmetic progression." It has been studied for centuries and is still an active area of research for mathematicians.

2. What does p=3 mod 4 mean?

The expression p=3 mod 4 means that when the prime number p is divided by 4, the remainder is always 3. In other words, p leaves a remainder of 3 when divided by 4.

3. How is the proof for infinitely many primes p=3 mod 4 different from other proofs?

The proof for infinitely many primes p=3 mod 4 is different from other proofs because it involves number theory and modular arithmetic, which are specific branches of mathematics. It also requires a more advanced and specialized approach compared to other proofs that may involve basic algebra or geometry.

4. Why has it been difficult to prove the infinitude of primes p=3 mod 4?

It has been difficult to prove the infinitude of primes p=3 mod 4 because it is a highly complex and abstract problem. It involves understanding the distribution of prime numbers in a particular arithmetic progression, which is still not fully understood by mathematicians. Additionally, there is no one-size-fits-all method for proving the infinitude of primes in all arithmetic progressions.

5. Are there any practical applications of proving infinitely many primes p=3 mod 4?

Although the proof for infinitely many primes p=3 mod 4 may not have any direct practical applications, it has significant implications for other areas of mathematics. It has connections to the Riemann Hypothesis and other unsolved problems, and its proof may lead to a better understanding of prime numbers and their distribution. Additionally, it showcases the power and beauty of mathematical reasoning and problem-solving.