Is W a subspace of the vector space?

In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions for a subset W to be a subspace of a vector space V. These conditions include being closed under addition and multiplication, and for any two vectors x and y from W, the linear combination ax + by must also be in W. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding the set W and finding a general point in it to determine if it is a subspace of V. Finally, the conversation clarifies that the closure conditions must hold for a subset to be considered a subspace.
eyehategod
W={(x1,x2,x3):x[tex]^{2}_{1}[/tex]+x[tex]^{2}_{2}[/tex]+x[tex]^{2}_{3}[/tex]=0} , V=R^3

from what i understand for subspace to be a subspace it has to have two conditions:
1.must be closed under addition
2.must be closed under multiplication

so...
I pick a vector s=(s1,s2,s3) and a second vector t=(t1,t2,t3).

for the addition i get:
s+t=(s1+t1,s2+t2,s3+t3)//so its closed under addition

for multiplication i get:
cs=c(s1,s2,s3)=(cs1,cs2,cs3)//closed under multiplicartion

what i don't understand is how the condition x[tex]^{2}_{1}[/tex]+x[tex]^{2}_{2}[/tex]+x[tex]^{2}_{3}[/tex]=0 would come into play. how do i use this condition in this problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You mean V=R^3, right? And your 'proof' just proves R^3 is a vector space. It doesn't say anything about W. What is the set W? Can you find a point in it? Can you describe a general point in W?

eyehategod said:

Of which vector space? You should be more precise, although it is obvious you meant R^3.

eyehategod said:
from what i understand for subspace to be a subspace it has to have two conditions:
1.must be closed under addition
2.must be closed under multiplication

It is more practical to express this as one single condition; W is a subspace of V if and only if for any two vectors x, y from W, and any scalars a, b, ax + by is in W.

So, take any two vectors from W, let's say x = (x1, x2, x3) and y = (y1, y2, y3). Now write the linear combination ax + by, and see if the components of ax + by satisfy the condition for a vector to be in W. Also, while doing this, keep in mind that the components of x and y do satisfy this very condition!

my book says this:

If W is a nonempty subset of a vector space V, then W is a subspace of V if and only if the following closure conditions hold.
1.u and v are in W, then u+v is in w.
2if u is in W and c is a scalar, then cu is in W.

So what does "x is in W" mean here?

FAQ: Is W a subspace of the vector space?

1. What is a subspace in a vector space?

A subspace in a vector space is a subset of the vector space that is itself a vector space. It must satisfy three conditions: closure under vector addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contain the zero vector.

2. How can I determine if W is a subspace of a vector space?

To determine if W is a subspace of a vector space, you must check if it satisfies the three conditions: closure under vector addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector. If all three conditions are met, then W is a subspace of the vector space.

3. What does it mean for W to be closed under vector addition?

Being closed under vector addition means that if you take any two vectors from W and add them together, the resulting vector also belongs to W. In other words, the sum of any two vectors in W is also in W.

4. Can a subspace contain the zero vector?

Yes, a subspace must contain the zero vector in order to be considered a subspace. This is because the zero vector satisfies the condition of closure under vector addition and scalar multiplication.

5. What is the significance of W being a subspace of a vector space?

If W is a subspace of a vector space, it means that all of the properties and operations defined for the vector space also apply to W. This allows for a more efficient and organized way of studying and understanding vector spaces, as the properties of the larger space can be applied to the smaller subspace.

Back