Finding the period of this trig function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the period of the function f(x)=sin3x*cos3x using various methods and identities. It is determined that the period is pi/3, and it is explained that a function is periodic if it satisfies certain conditions. The discussion also touches on the period of cos^2(x) and how it can be solved using product forms. Finally, the definition of a periodic function is clarified.
Dell
f(x)=sin3x*cos3x

i am looking for the period of this function,
what i did, and now i see that it is wrong was compared it to zero and looked for any time that

sin3x=0 or cos3x=0

this really did give an answer for every time the function reached 0, but did not take into account that once i get 0+ and once i get 0-, how do i find the period?

what i did
sin3x=0 or cos3x=0
x=K*pi/3 or x=pi/6 + K*pi/3

then i got
T=pi/6

do i need to use trig identities to bring it to a function of just sin or cos?? which identities?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about sin(2a)=2*sin(a)*cos(a)? More generally you can use product to sum formulas like sin(a)*cos(b)=(1/2)*(sin(a+b)+sin(a-b)).

now what do i do to find the period? what do i compare it to
1/2*sin(6x)=1/2 ?
sin(6x)=1
6x=pi/2
x=pi/12

not right,

mathematically how do i ptove that the period is pi/3

sin(x) has period 2pi, right? For sin(6x), 6x goes from 0 to 2pi (one period) while x goes from 0 to 2pi/6. 2pi/6 is pi/3.

okay i understand that, but is there no way to get to this with equations, for example, i had another question to find period for cos^2(x)

so i said
cos^2(x)=cos^2(0)=1
now how long will it take to return to 1
cos^2(x)=1
cos(x)=+-1
x=0+2pi*K or x=pi + 2pi*K
x=[0 pi 2pi 3pi...]
T=pi

how would you solve this like you solved the sin, using cos(x) has a period of 2pi,

I would use product forms to write cos(x)^2 as a sum of sines and cosines, like I said in the first post. cos(x)^2=(cos(2x)+1)/2. The '2x' part is what determines the period.

so only the actual trig function makes any difference, the peiod of cosx is the same as, (4*cos(x) +2) for eg??

Sure. Isn't that pretty easy to see? Imagine plotting it.

"so only the actual trig function makes any difference, the peiod of cosx is the same as, (4*cos(x) +2) for eg?? "

Yes, a function is periodic with period T iff (d^n)f(x)/(dx^n) = (d^n)f(x + T)/(dx^n) for all n (including zero, where the zeroth derivative is interpreted to mean the original function). At least that's my understanding... someone may please correct me if I'm in error.

AUMathTutor said:
"so only the actual trig function makes any difference, the peiod of cosx is the same as, (4*cos(x) +2) for eg?? "

Yes, a function is periodic with period T iff (d^n)f(x)/(dx^n) = (d^n)f(x + T)/(dx^n) for all n (including zero, where the zeroth derivative is interpreted to mean the original function). At least that's my understanding... someone may please correct me if I'm in error.

Being periodic has nothing to do with being differentiable. T is a period of a function f if f(x)=f(x+T) for all x. The period of f is the smallest such value of T.

1. What is the period of a trigonometric function?

The period of a trigonometric function is the length of one complete cycle of the function. In other words, it is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the graph.

2. How do you find the period of a trigonometric function?

To find the period of a trigonometric function, you can use the formula T = 2π/b, where b is the coefficient of the independent variable (x). Alternatively, you can also determine the period by dividing 2π by the absolute value of the coefficient of the trigonometric function (e.g. the number in front of sin or cos).

3. Can the period of a trigonometric function be negative?

No, the period of a trigonometric function cannot be negative. It is a positive value that represents the length of one complete cycle of the function.

4. How does the period of a trigonometric function change with different coefficients?

The period of a trigonometric function changes with different coefficients by becoming shorter or longer. A larger coefficient will result in a shorter period and a smaller coefficient will result in a longer period.

5. What is the significance of finding the period of a trigonometric function?

Finding the period of a trigonometric function is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the function and make predictions about its values. It also allows us to graph the function accurately and identify any patterns or repetitions in its values.