Optimal Tilt Angle of Solar Array

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining the smallest angle of incidence (AOI) for a solar PV array system. The formula for calculating AOI is given, along with the variables involved. The goal is to find the value of Y that will result in the smallest AOI. There is also mention of taking a derivative of the equation and setting it equal to zero to solve the problem. There is a reference to a related thread on this topic for further guidance.
drogerssolar
Hello!

I have a difficult problem I have been working with recently. I have been trying to model the ever changing position of a solar PV array system. The system is a single axis tracker and orientates itself to have the smallest angle of incidence(AOI) to the suns beam as possible (the best performance is when the suns beam is directly perpendicular to the array). Also to clarify the AOI is the angle between the array planes "normal" and the suns direct beam.

I was able to determine how to calculate the AOI using the following formula:

COS[AOI] = {COS[X]*COS[Y]*COS[Z]} + {SIN[ACOS[COS[X]*COS[Y]]*SIN[Z]*COS[W-ACOS[ATAN[SIN[Y]/TAN[X]]*COS[Y]]]}

Where:
X = Axis Tilt = 35 degrees (for my application)
Y = Rotation about the axis (This is my unknown)
Z = Zenith angle of sun for a particular time of day
W = Azimuth angle of sun for the same time of day
AOI = Angle of incidence

Now my goal here is to determine what value of Y will give me the smallest possible value of AOI.
I think that I need to take a derivative of the equation with respect to AOI and then set the resulting derivative = 0.
Does that sound right? I know that this is a Maxima/Minima problem but the size of the equation frightens me.
Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
drogerssolar said:
Hello!

I have a difficult problem I have been working with recently. I have been trying to model the ever changing position of a solar PV array system. The system is a single axis tracker and orientates itself to have the smallest angle of incidence(AOI) to the suns beam as possible (the best performance is when the suns beam is directly perpendicular to the array). Also to clarify the AOI is the angle between the array planes "normal" and the suns direct beam.

I was able to determine how to calculate the AOI using the following formula:

COS[AOI] = {COS[X]*COS[Y]*COS[Z]} + {SIN[ACOS[COS[X]*COS[Y]]*SIN[Z]*COS[W-ACOS[ATAN[SIN[Y]/TAN[X]]*COS[Y]]]}

Where:
X = Axis Tilt = 35 degrees (for my application)
Y = Rotation about the axis (This is my unknown)
Z = Zenith angle of sun for a particular time of day
W = Azimuth angle of sun for the same time of day
AOI = Angle of incidence

Now my goal here is to determine what value of Y will give me the smallest possible value of AOI.
I think that I need to take a derivative of the equation with respect to AOI and then set the resulting derivative = 0.
Does that sound right? I know that this is a Maxima/Minima problem but the size of the equation frightens me.
Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

How is this related to your other thread that you have going on this subject?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=497570

What is the optimal tilt angle for a solar array?

The optimal tilt angle for a solar array depends on several factors, including the latitude of the location, the season, and the type of solar panel used. In general, the tilt angle should be equal to the latitude of the location for maximum energy production throughout the year.

How can I calculate the optimal tilt angle for my specific location?

There are several online calculators and tools available that can help you determine the optimal tilt angle for your location. You can also use a simple formula that takes into account your latitude, the season, and the solar panel's efficiency.

What happens if the solar array is not tilted at the optimal angle?

If the solar array is not tilted at the optimal angle, it can still produce energy, but it may not be as efficient as it could be. The energy production will vary depending on the tilt angle, but it will generally be lower than if it were at the optimal angle.

Can the optimal tilt angle change throughout the year?

Yes, the optimal tilt angle can change throughout the year, especially if you live in a location with significant seasonal weather changes. In these cases, it may be beneficial to adjust the tilt angle of the solar array a few times a year to maximize energy production.

Are there any other factors that can affect the optimal tilt angle of a solar array?

Besides the location and season, other factors that can affect the optimal tilt angle of a solar array include the type and efficiency of the solar panels, shading from surrounding objects, and the desired energy output. It's essential to consider all of these factors when determining the optimal tilt angle for a solar array.