Where can I read Essay on the Figure of the Earth ?

In summary, The conversation is about trying to find a copy of Lord Kelvin's essay titled "Essay on the Figure of the Earth" which he wrote at the age of 15. The person asking the question has tried searching through different databases and has been given a link to the Kelvin collection at Glasgow University. They discuss the possibility of obtaining a reprint and also mention a page to help understand the language and culture in Glasgow. The person asking the question also expresses interest in reading the essay.
nonequilibrium
Where can I read "Essay on the Figure of the Earth"?

Apparently Lord Kelvin wrote a supposedly very original essay at the age of 15 (and won a gold medal for it from some university) titled "Essay on the Figure of the Earth". However, I can't seem to find it anywhere. How do I go about finding it? (even tried my university's electronic database for publications)

Earth sciences news on Phys.org

Jeeze louise. I was thinking more of a reprint :p

in case you do go to glasgow, here's a page from glasgowguide.co.uk to help you to understand the language and the culture :biggrin:

So, there is no online copy? I would also like to read it

1. What is the figure of the Earth?

The figure of the Earth refers to its shape or geometric form. It is an oblate spheroid, meaning it is slightly flattened at the poles and bulging at the equator. This shape is due to the Earth's rotation and gravitational forces.

2. Why is it important to study the figure of the Earth?

Studying the figure of the Earth helps us understand the planet's physical properties and how it interacts with other objects in space. It also has practical applications such as navigation, mapping, and predicting natural phenomena like tides and earthquakes.

3. How do scientists measure the figure of the Earth?

There are various methods used to measure the figure of the Earth, including satellite geodesy, radar altimetry, and terrestrial surveying. These techniques involve precise measurements of the Earth's surface, gravitational field, and rotation to determine its shape.

4. Has the figure of the Earth changed over time?

Yes, the figure of the Earth is constantly changing due to various factors such as tectonic movements, sea level fluctuations, and changes in its rotation. These changes are small and occur over long periods of time, so they may not be noticeable to humans.

5. Are there any ongoing research or developments related to the figure of the Earth?

Yes, there are ongoing studies and developments in this field, including advancements in technology and data analysis methods. Scientists are also working to better understand the Earth's internal structure and how it affects its figure. This research is crucial in improving our knowledge of our planet and its place in the universe.