Exploring Semi-Porous Transparent Membranes for Glucose Transport

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of semi-porous transparent membranes that can selectively pass glucose molecules in one direction. The speaker and their friends are working on a project related to this concept and are inquiring about the existence of such membranes and where to find literature on them. The conversation also delves into the use of such membranes in dialysis and ultrafiltration, as well as the potential for electrodialysis. The mention of encapsulation of Islet cells is also brought up as a potential source of information. Overall, the conversation provides helpful insights for the speaker and their project.
Rhydo
Hi!

My friends and I have been working on a project which encapsulates the use of semi porous transparent membranes that can selectively pass glucose molecules through them in one direction.

Does such a membrane already exist? Where can I get literature on the construction and/or existence of such materials? Also are such membranes used in contact lenses?

Any help would be appreciated.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Rhydo said:
Hi!

My friends and I have been working on a project which encapsulates the use of semi porous transparent membranes that can selectively pass glucose molecules through them in one direction.

Does such a membrane already exist? Where can I get literature on the construction and/or existence of such materials? Also are such membranes used in contact lenses?

Any help would be appreciated.

Basically I think such a thing does not exist.
In dialysis substances like glucose pass through a membrane in both directions. But the result is that more will pass from the side where it is more concentrated to the side where it is less.
Then there is ultrafiltration where solvent passes through a membrane under pressure. Low MW molecules go with it and higher MW do not pass the membrane.

So on a molecular weight basis some molecules can pass slower than others. Probably there are membranes more specific about what they pass, particularly on basis of charge.

There is also electrodialysis.

Have a look at the commercial literature, brochures etc.

A good place to look is in the literature related to the encapsulation of Islet cells.

epenguin said:
Basically I think such a thing does not exist.
In dialysis substances like glucose pass through a membrane in both directions. But the result is that more will pass from the side where it is more concentrated to the side where it is less.

Thanks for that! We were actually looking for something that would allow glucose to move in just one direction. So 'dialysis tubing' was something that we were looking into. Now I suppose we can start with some experiments!

chemisttree said:
A good place to look is in the literature related to the encapsulation of Islet cells.

I had no idea about this field. Thanks! This helped a lot!

1. How do semi-porous transparent membranes work for glucose transport?

Semi-porous transparent membranes use a combination of size exclusion and diffusion to selectively allow glucose molecules to pass through while blocking other substances. The membrane contains small pores that are large enough for glucose molecules to pass through, but too small for larger molecules to pass through.

2. What advantages do semi-porous transparent membranes have over traditional methods of glucose transport?

Semi-porous transparent membranes offer several advantages, including higher selectivity for glucose molecules, faster transport rates, and the ability to be easily scaled for large-scale production. They also do not require external energy sources, making them more cost-effective and environmentally friendly.

3. What materials are commonly used to create semi-porous transparent membranes?

Polymeric materials such as polyethylene, polyvinylidene fluoride, and polysulfone are commonly used to create semi-porous transparent membranes. These materials are flexible, durable, and have the necessary pore size to allow for selective glucose transport.

4. Can semi-porous transparent membranes be used for other types of molecule transport?

Yes, semi-porous transparent membranes can be designed and optimized for the transport of various molecules, including ions, proteins, and drugs. The pore size and surface chemistry of the membrane can be adjusted to selectively allow for the transport of specific molecules.

5. What are some potential applications for semi-porous transparent membranes for glucose transport?

Semi-porous transparent membranes have potential applications in the medical field, such as in the development of implantable glucose sensors and artificial pancreas devices for diabetes management. They can also be used in food and beverage industries for glucose purification and in biotechnology for glucose monitoring in cell cultures.