Emf of coil outside a solenoid

In summary: Expert SummarizerIn summary, to calculate the current induced in the coil while the current in the solenoid is changing, we can use the equation emf= -N*dflux/dt, where N is the number of turns in the coil and dflux/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux through the coil. The flux through the coil is changing due to the changing magnetic field produced by the solenoid, which can be calculated using the equation Bsol= nui. Once we have the emf induced in the coil, we can use the equation emf=iR to calculate the current in the coil. This will give us the current that appears in the coil while the solenoid is being changed
supersunshine

Homework Statement

A coil of 120 turns and radius of1.8 cm and resistance of 5.3 ohm is placed outside a solenoid. If the current in the solenoid is changed, what current appears in the coil while the solenoid is being changed?

Homework Equations

emf= -dflux/dt = A*dB/dt

emf=iR

Bsol= nui

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve this problem, first you would need to find the emf induced in the coil by the changing current in the solenoid, and then the current by i=emf/R
but I am confused how to apply this. my questions is;

1) to use emf= -dflux/dt, does this apply to the area of the solenoid or coil? i thought solenoid, but we are only given information about the coil

thank you for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
!

To answer your question, the equation emf= -dflux/dt applies to the coil in this situation. This is because the coil is the object in which the emf is being induced by the changing magnetic field of the solenoid. The solenoid itself is not changing, so the flux through it remains constant. Therefore, the emf induced in the coil is due to the changing magnetic field produced by the solenoid.

To calculate the emf induced in the coil, we can use the equation emf= -N*dflux/dt, where N is the number of turns in the coil and dflux/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux through the coil. In this case, the magnetic flux through the coil is changing due to the changing current in the solenoid. We can use the equation Bsol= nui to calculate the magnetic field produced by the solenoid, where n is the number of turns per unit length, u is the permeability of the medium, and i is the current in the solenoid. We can then use this value for Bsol in the equation for dflux/dt to calculate the emf induced in the coil.

Once we have the emf induced in the coil, we can use the equation emf=iR to calculate the current in the coil. This will give us the current that appears in the coil while the solenoid is being changed.

I hope this helps clarify the process for solving this problem. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your calculations!

I would approach this problem by first understanding the basic principles of electromagnetic induction. The emf equation, emf = -dflux/dt, applies to the area through which the magnetic flux is changing. In this case, the magnetic flux is changing through the area of the coil, as the solenoid is being changed. Therefore, we can use the emf equation to calculate the emf induced in the coil.

Next, we can use Ohm's law, emf = iR, to calculate the current in the coil. Since we are given the resistance of the coil, we can use the emf calculated from the previous step to solve for the current.

It is important to note that the current in the coil will depend on the rate of change of current in the solenoid, as well as the physical properties of the solenoid and coil. Therefore, the current in the coil will change as the current in the solenoid changes.

In summary, to solve this problem, we would need to use the emf equation and Ohm's law, and take into consideration the physical properties of the solenoid and coil.

1. What is the purpose of measuring the EMF of a coil outside a solenoid?

The EMF (electromotive force) of a coil outside a solenoid is measured to determine the strength of the magnetic field produced by the solenoid. This can be useful in various applications, such as in designing electromagnets or in studying the behavior of electromagnetic waves.

2. How is the EMF of a coil outside a solenoid measured?

The EMF of a coil outside a solenoid is typically measured using a voltmeter. The voltmeter is connected to the ends of the coil and the reading is taken. The induced EMF in the coil is proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the coil, so the voltmeter reading can be used to determine the strength of the magnetic field.

3. How does the number of turns in the solenoid affect the EMF of the coil outside?

The number of turns in the solenoid directly affects the strength of the magnetic field produced. Therefore, the more turns in the solenoid, the stronger the magnetic field and the higher the induced EMF in the coil outside. This relationship is known as Faraday's Law of Induction.

4. Can the position of the coil outside the solenoid affect the EMF?

Yes, the position of the coil outside the solenoid can affect the EMF. The strength of the magnetic field decreases as the distance from the solenoid increases, so the closer the coil is to the solenoid, the higher the induced EMF will be. Additionally, the orientation of the coil relative to the solenoid can also affect the EMF.

5. What factors can cause fluctuations in the EMF of the coil outside a solenoid?

The EMF of the coil outside a solenoid can be affected by various factors, such as changes in the current flowing through the solenoid, variations in the number of turns in the solenoid, and the presence of other nearby magnetic fields. Additionally, the material and thickness of the coil can also impact the induced EMF.