Solving Tex Problems for Mid-Term Blogging

• Thread starter futurebird
  • Start date
In summary, the function f(x) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y) is differentiable at a point z= x +iy of a region in the complex plane if and only if the partial derivatives U_{x},U_{y},V_{x},V_{y} are continuos and satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann conditions. Just like in calculus the derivative of f(z) is given by the following limit: f'(z)=\mathop{\lim}\limits_{\Delta z \to 0}\frac{f(z+\Delta z)-f(z)}{\Delta z} We write f(z) = u(x,y
futurebird
First of all: I love this forum! I'm trying to write a blog to help me study for my mid-term.

I'm having trouble posting tex to the blog... I'm going to try it here and see if it works... It keeps showing equations that I used in older posts...

Okay here is the pasted text from my blog post:

The function f(x) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y) is differentiable at a point z= x +iy of a region in the complex plane if and only if the partial derivatives [tex]U_{x}[/tex],[tex]U_{y}[/tex],[tex]V_{x}[/tex],[tex]V_{y}[/tex] are continuos and satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann conditions...

----

okay it worked here... and now it is working at my blog... but I don't know why this keeps happening?

Physics news on Phys.org
The function f(x) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y) is differentiable at a point z= x +iy of a region in the complex plane if and only if the partial derivatives [tex]U_{x}[/tex],[tex]U_{y}[/tex],[tex]V_{x}[/tex],[tex]V_{y}[/tex] are continuos and satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann conditions.

Just like in calculus the derivative of f(z) is given by the following limit:

[tex]f'(z)=\mathop{\lim}\limits_{\Delta z \to 0}\frac{f(z+\Delta z)-f(z)}{\Delta z}[/tex]

We write f(z) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y)

And then compute the limit along the real and then the imaginary axis. To do this first we set [tex]\Delta z = \Delta x[/tex], then we set [tex]\Delta z = i \Delta y[/tex].

With [tex]\Delta z = \Delta x[/tex] we have:

[tex]f'(z)=\mathop{\lim}\limits_{\Delta x \to 0}\frac{u(x+\Delta x, y)-u(x,y)}{\Delta x} + i\frac{v(x+\Delta x, y)-v(x,y)}{\Delta x}[/tex]

[tex]u_{x}(x,y) + iv_{x}(x,y)[/tex]

and with [tex]\Delta z = i \Delta y[/tex] we have:

[tex]f'(z)=\mathop{\lim}\limits_{\Delta y \to 0}\frac{u(x,y + \Delta y)-u(x,y)}{i \Delta y} + i\frac{v(x, y+ \Delta y)-v(x,y)}{i \Delta y}[/tex]

This is the one to watch. Remember that [tex]\frac{1}{i}=-i[/tex]

[tex]-iu_{y}(x,y) + v_{y}(x,y)[/tex]

Now set the real and imaginary parts of the two limits equal to each other since they both define f'(z). From this we get the Cauchy-Riemann conditions.

This shows that C-R is necessary, but now we much show that it is also sufficient: that is we must show that if the partials meet the C-R condition then f(z) is differentiable. Once we show this we will have proved the theorem.

If [tex]U_{x}[/tex],[tex]U_{y}[/tex],[tex]V_{x}[/tex],[tex]V_{y}[/tex] are continuous at the point (x, y) then:

[tex]\Delta u = u_{x} \Delta x + u_{y} \Delta y + \epsilon_{1}| \Delta z|[/tex]
[tex]\Delta v = v_{x} \Delta x + v_{y} \Delta y + \epsilon_{2}| \Delta z|[/tex]

Where [tex]| \Delta z|=sqrt{\Delta x^{2}+\Delta y^{2}}[/tex]
[tex]\mathop{\lim}\limits_{\Delta z \to 0}\epsilon_{1} =\mathop{\lim}\limits_{\Delta z \to 0}\epsilon_{2}=0[/tex]

and

[tex]\Delta u = u(x+ \Delta x, y+ \Delta y)-u(x,y)[/tex]
[tex]\Delta v = v(x+ \Delta x, y+ \Delta y)-v(x,y)[/tex]

Calling [tex]\Delta f = \Delta u + i \Delta v[/tex], we have

[tex]\frac{\Delta f}{\Delta z}=\frac{\Delta u}{\Delta z}+i\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta z}[/tex]
[tex]=u_{x}\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta z}+u_{y}\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta z}[/tex]
[tex] + iv_{x}\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta z}+iv_{y}\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta z}+ (\epsilon_{1} +i\epsilon_{2})\frac{|\Delta z|}{\Delta z}[/tex]

Last edited:
If it's not displaying correctly, try clearing your cache. Sometimes that causes problems on the main pages if you edit things, and I'm not sure if that happens in the blogs too (I didn't even remember that we had LaTex enabled in the blogs).

Moonbear said:
If it's not displaying correctly, try clearing your cache. Sometimes that causes problems on the main pages if you edit things, and I'm not sure if that happens in the blogs too (I didn't even remember that we had LaTex enabled in the blogs).

Please don't turn it off I'm having such a good time!

Moonbear said:

I tried clearing the cache and that didn't work... the od thing is everything looks find here, but not on the blog post...

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Solving Tex Problems for Mid-Term Blogging

1. How do I approach solving a Tex problem for mid-term blogging?

The first step in solving a Tex problem is to carefully read and understand the problem. Make sure to identify the important information and any given equations or formulas. Then, start by writing down all the relevant information and organizing it in a logical manner. From there, use the given equations and any necessary mathematical operations to solve for the unknown variable. Lastly, double check your work and make sure your final answer makes sense in the context of the problem.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving Tex problems?

One common mistake is not clearly labeling and organizing the given information. This can lead to confusion and errors in the final answer. Another mistake is not understanding the given equations and blindly plugging in numbers without understanding the concepts behind them. Make sure to also double check your calculations and use correct units when necessary.

3. How can I check my work when solving a Tex problem?

One way to check your work is to use estimation and make sure your answer is reasonable in the context of the problem. You can also try plugging your answer back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the given conditions. Additionally, if possible, you can use online calculators or ask a classmate or teacher to review your work.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for Tex problems?

The key to improving problem-solving skills is practice. Make sure to review and understand the concepts behind the equations and formulas, and then try solving different types of problems. You can also work on breaking down problems into smaller, more manageable steps, and use different problem-solving strategies such as drawing diagrams or creating tables.

5. Are there any online resources that can help with solving Tex problems?

Yes, there are many online resources available such as video tutorials, practice problems, and forums where you can ask for help and clarification. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, Mathway, and Wolfram Alpha. Additionally, your textbook or class notes can also be valuable resources for solving Tex problems.

Back