What are your favorite metal bands?

• Thread starter chaoseverlasting
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metal
In summary, metal bands are popular because they are classic and iconic. Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Judas Priest are some of the most popular metal bands today. Death, Black Sabbath, and Van Halen are all classic rock bands. Modern metal bands include System of a Down, Otep, and Darkest of the Hillside Thickets.
chaoseverlasting
Metal Bands! Which ones are youre favorites? I envy those of you who lived through the 80's listening to stuff like AC DC, Maiden, Led Zep, GnR. Music was HUGE then! I mean, the money's still there, but rockstars were Gods man! I don't think there's anyone in music today who's as big or iconic as the rock bands of yore.

Physics news on Phys.org
How true, the fabricated pop idols of today do not usually last long ,unless they are a Madona or Kylie with some thing to show to get the fans going.

I'm quite partial to Machine Head, and maybe a bit of The Haunted, but I'm musically starting to drift away from that sort of stuff. Certainly can't go wrong with a bit of Metallica every now and then though.

I like Van Halen and Rammstein.

Ha, 80s music sucked! I like early metal (like aforementioned, Led Zep, which really isn't and like Black Sabbath and such) and some modern stuff. Apocalyptica is badass, and they played in ABQ on wednesday and I didn't find out till it was way too late...wah! (not the pedal, the sound, LOL)

Let me add Megadeth, Dethklok (of the adult swim tv show, Metalocalypse), and others that I've forgotten.

My favorite metal band? My wedding ring :tongue2: .

I'm seeing Iron Maiden on May 26th :-D

moose said:
I'm seeing Iron Maiden on May 26th :-D

Thats amazing man! They came to Bombay, but I couldn't go. Had exams those days... !

I caught Maiden and Leeds Festival '05. I'm not a massive fan, but damn do those guys put on a good show! I loved every minute of it.

I was never really that into metal but I like Black Sabbath, Megadeth, and older Metallica.
The only metal band that I listen to much currently as a Canadian band called Darkest of the Hillside Thickets that preforms primarily HP Lovecraft inspired songs. They're a sort of mix of metal, goth rock, and punk.
One of their songs...
Colour Me Green

Van Halen, GnR, Led Zeppelin, and AC/DC are NOT metal, they are Rock and Roll. Get that straight.

My favorite bands are:

Death
Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Manowar
Megadeth
Metallica
Metal Church
Slayer
Arch Enemy
Carcass
Asphyx
Cynic
Atheist

What's the difference? Well, here's Van Halen:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8e-vgQSqNtA

And here's Slayer:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=F8kQ3MKMeDc

Here is AC/DC:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bomv-6CJSfM

And here is Judas Priest:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=60Iv_kAjMLk

Notice a difference?

Might make it to OzzFest this year with some friends...Let me add System Of a Down. Our podunk town is actually getting some good stuff, like Saliva (not metal), Otep (metal) and even Scott Ian of Anthrax, apparently he just came on his own, with back up musicians...All the shows are 18+ though...

Poop-Loops said:
Van Halen, GnR, Led Zeppelin, and AC/DC are NOT metal, they are Rock and Roll. Get that straight.

Notice a difference?
That's almost funny.
I never considered Van Halen, GnR and AC/DC anything other than rock.

However, Led Zeppelin and Iron Butterfly created the term Heavy Metal. :grumpy:

I'm somewhat surprised to see Black Sabbath still on your metal list with the dissing of Led Zeppelin.
Metallica, despite the name, I kinda consider an early rap export rather than metal.
I'm good with the rest of your list. :approve:

No led zep didn't, they have friggin mandolins even...Black Sabbath did create the term, along with Judas Priest

I used to listen to a lot of Metallica, but it's funny how I sort of grew out of it.

I find Rammstein's music to be of far more substance. Seems lately I don't really listen to anything else.

The term originated with Zeppelin, but it was premature. What's the most metal song Zep has? Kashmir? Immigrant Song?

Now look at the very first song of the very first album of Black Sabbath:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1yntdJ1kDI4

That is the DEFINITION of metal. Not even Judas Priest or Iron Maiden (both of which I love more than Sabbath actually) started out like that.

I'm a huge metalhead... specifically death metal. Some of my favorite death metal bands are Bolt Thrower, Decapitated, Bloodbath, Necrophagist, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, Nile, and Hypocrisy.

I like other metal too of course. Slayer, Electric Wizard, Iron Maiden, Bathory, and Led Zeppelin just to name a few.

I went to Paganfest last week; it was pretty good. Turisas instantly became one of my favoritest concert bands ever.

binzing said:
No led zep didn't, they have friggin mandolins even...Black Sabbath did create the term, along with Judas Priest

They predate it, but there is plenty of metal nowadays that includes mandolins (viking metal).

Poop-Loops said:
The term originated with Zeppelin, but it was premature. What's the most metal song Zep has? Kashmir? Immigrant Song?

Now look at the very first song of the very first album of Black Sabbath:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1yntdJ1kDI4

That is the DEFINITION of metal. Not even Judas Priest or Iron Maiden (both of which I love more than Sabbath actually) started out like that.
Don't know about the premature
In the late 60s Heavy Metal meant Led Zeppelin or Iron Butterfly, a bit of word play and initially referred more to the Lead and Iron in the titles more than the music.
The term already existed when Black Sabbath came along.
Things change and the term expanded to include other radical music like Black Sabbath somewhat after they came out.

Mandolins or not Led Zeppelin was radical for the time.
You might want to consider
Only few years earlier the Beatles "I want to hold your hand" was not allowed to be played at my high school.
The local underground FM station made the front page of the newspaper when they played Pink Floyd on the air the first time, in 68 I think, but I'd had the album for at least 3 years prior.

Here is a group for you. Sorry about the ad you'll get first.
http://music.aol.com/video/liarsenic/norma-jean/1476416

Monocles said:
I'm a huge metalhead... specifically death metal. Some of my favorite death metal bands are Bolt Thrower, Decapitated, Bloodbath, Necrophagist, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse, Nile, and Hypocrisy.

I like other metal too of course. Slayer, Electric Wizard, Iron Maiden, Bathory, and Led Zeppelin just to name a few.

I went to Paganfest last week; it was pretty good. Turisas instantly became one of my favoritest concert bands ever.

no offense but how can you acutaully listen to those people. Cannibal corpse have disgusting lyrics, even though people say "they're not meant literally" they're still disgusting. The guys just making noise which you can hardly hear. I just want to know what you think is so good or what you like about it, i don't mean to put down you, the genre or any other fans. It's just out of interest

Badass, I got to find some tabs, cause I'm learning mando, especially Led Zep stuff. Ha, Norwegian death metal is both scary and funny, cause like if you saw these guys on the street they'd be the shy Norwegian bachelor type (which I fit into, 1/4 Norwegian) and yet they go and play this crazy stuff. Monocles, where are you?

_Muddy_ said:
no offense but how can you acutaully listen to those people. Cannibal corpse have disgusting lyrics, even though people say "they're not meant literally" they're still disgusting. The guys just making noise which you can hardly hear. I just want to know what you think is so good or what you like about it, i don't mean to put down you, the genre or any other fans. It's just out of interest

Yes the lyrics are disgusting, but they are just there for entertainment. Ever watch a horror movie? Or play a violent video game? Not to mention all the books written like that. It's no different here.

No, they are not "just making noises". They know what they are doing. However, I will give you that it's not easy to discern at first. I had to "get used to" Death Metal before enjoying it, and sure enough that's not for everybody, so I don't expect everybody to enjoy it.

Here are two examples with videos so you can see that it's not just random:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QOb6JSQd-Qw
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QVJxCLcU6Wc

First one doesn't have lyrics, the 2nd one has some NSFW lyrics, but aren't "disgusting" as the regular DM ones are. It's a song about the prison system and the way justice favors the offender over the victim.

What I do hate though is Black Metal. They celebrate crappiness and take themselves seriously. It's just not my cup of tea.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1WcsV7hQ1V4

That's not a song, but satire of Black Metal.

I mostly do deathmetal as well. Favorites would be Nile, Cryptopsy, Decapitated, Death, At The Gates, Meshuggah, Suffocation. Naturally, I also love the classic 80's thrash and British stuff, and the even-classicer old Sabbath records. Other stuff I keep in heavy rotation would be Demanufacture by Fear Factory (never thought any of their subsequent albums came close), Lamb of God and older Children of Bodom (Follow the Reaper mostly). I keep trying to like blackmetal, but I haven't really been able to get into it. It's slowly growing on me though...

Also, I always considered AC/DC to be just barely on the metal side of the hard rock/heavy metal divide.

You cannot kill the metal. The metal will live on.

i don't know... cream could be considered metal...

Only if it was Black Cream.

Poop-Loops said:
Yes the lyrics are disgusting, but they are just there for entertainment. Ever watch a horror movie? Or play a violent video game? Not to mention all the books written like that. It's no different here.

No, they are not "just making noises". They know what they are doing. However, I will give you that it's not easy to discern at first. I had to "get used to" Death Metal before enjoying it, and sure enough that's not for everybody, so I don't expect everybody to enjoy it.

Here are two examples with videos so you can see that it's not just random:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QOb6JSQd-Qw
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QVJxCLcU6Wc

First one doesn't have lyrics, the 2nd one has some NSFW lyrics, but aren't "disgusting" as the regular DM ones are. It's a song about the prison system and the way justice favors the offender over the victim.

What I do hate though is Black Metal. They celebrate crappiness and take themselves seriously. It's just not my cup of tea.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1WcsV7hQ1V4

That's not a song, but satire of Black Metal.

Again no offence and i do respect your musical tastes and i respect them as musicians.

When i said making noise i was mainly referring to the singer not the rest of the band. I can't understand what the hell the guy is saying in cannibal corpse. I just haven't seen any horror films about digging up the graves of children and raping their dead corpse's. Is that entertaining to listen to?

_Mayday_ said:
When i said making noise i was mainly referring to the singer not the rest of the band. I can't understand what the hell the guy is saying in cannibal corpse.

Proper death grunts are pretty good, but a lot of people don't bother. Anyway, it doesn't matter what he's saying, what matters is that he's pissed.

I just haven't seen any horror films about digging up the graves of children and raping their dead corpse's. Is that entertaining to listen to?

Well, let's see...

I type "torture" into Amazon and get this many hits for Fiction (so purely made up for enjoyment) books:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_...k:torture,i:stripbooks,n:17&tag=pfamazon01-20

So there must be something to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though I'm not a big metal fanatic, there are quite a few songs out there I do like. My favorite metal group by far, Dragonforce!
http://www.decibelmagazine.com/uploadedImages/Issues/2006/022_August_2006/Up_Front/dragonforce.jpg

Soldiers of the Wasteland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkziJ-j1dNU&feature=related

Operation Ground And Pound

Through The Fire And Flames

Fury of the Storm

Whats the real difference between hard rock and metal?

Cream could be metal if it was Sour Cream...ha ha he he

chaoseverlasting said:
Whats the real difference between hard rock and metal?

The lyrics and themes, overall "sound" of the song.

Hard rock tends to be happy and hedonistic, metal tends to be sad, angry, or depressing. It's not about happiness.

Of course, there are bands that blur the line. quadraphonics said he considers AC/DC to be metal. Motorhead is right on that border. Iron Maiden is either very light metal or some weird progressive rock. Judas Priest had a sting in the 80's where they tried to sell out to hard rock.

Here's Hallowed be thy Name by Iron Maiden:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=b2za92DQOCw

See how that's different than a rock ballad? No mention of "baby" or "love". The themes tend to be a lot more serious than just a break up.

Poop-Loops said:
The lyrics and themes, overall "sound" of the song.

Hard rock tends to be happy and hedonistic, metal tends to be sad, angry, or depressing. It's not about happiness.

Of course, there are bands that blur the line. quadraphonics said he considers AC/DC to be metal. Motorhead is right on that border. Iron Maiden is either very light metal or some weird progressive rock. Judas Priest had a sting in the 80's where they tried to sell out to hard rock.

Here's Hallowed be thy Name by Iron Maiden:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=b2za92DQOCw

See how that's different than a rock ballad? No mention of "baby" or "love". The themes tend to be a lot more serious than just a break up.

What about Dragonforce? They seem to be something in between. Most of their songs seem to be somewhat neutral. Fighting to prevail, the heroes strife... fantasy metal.

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Dragonforce

binzing said:
Badass, I got to find some tabs, cause I'm learning mando, especially Led Zep stuff. Ha, Norwegian death metal is both scary and funny, cause like if you saw these guys on the street they'd be the shy Norwegian bachelor type (which I fit into, 1/4 Norwegian) and yet they go and play this crazy stuff. Monocles, where are you?

I live in Atlanta.

I mostly do deathmetal as well. Favorites would be Nile, Cryptopsy, Decapitated, Death, At The Gates, Meshuggah, Suffocation. Naturally, I also love the classic 80's thrash and British stuff, and the even-classicer old Sabbath records. Other stuff I keep in heavy rotation would be Demanufacture by Fear Factory (never thought any of their subsequent albums came close), Lamb of God and older Children of Bodom (Follow the Reaper mostly). I keep trying to like blackmetal, but I haven't really been able to get into it. It's slowly growing on me though...

Wow, we have some very similar tastes. Fear Factory is actually the band that got me into death metal. I couldn't stand their first album, Soul of a New Machine, when I started listening to them, but it grew on me over time and now its my favorite album of theirs. I've been trying for a couple of years to give black metal a chance, but I can't really get into it either. There are scattered black metal tracks I enjoy, like Curse You All Men by Emperor. Summoning is also supposedly black metal, and I'm a fan of them, but besides the vocals they don't sound like other black metal I've heard. Meshuggah is amazing. I actually didn't enjoy them for a long time, but one day they just 'clicked' with me and everything just made sense, and now I think they're great. Their most recent album, obZen, is one of the best albums to come out this year in my opinion.

No offense taken. I am very aware that most people find death metal digusting and/or unlistenable. I really can't defend it either. All I can say it that I enjoy it for no reason I can really explain. I've never paid much attention to the lyrics in death metal, so them being disgusting has never really bothered me. The fact that you can't tell what they're saying 90% of the time anyways makes that easy to do. I will say though that I the first time I listened (and discerned the words to) Eaten by Bloodbath I felt physically sick to the stomach. Its about wishing to be eaten alive. It kinda grew on me though; now I really enjoy the sick lyrics. I'm not really sure why. I actually detest gorey movies. I tend to view the vocals in death metal songs as more like an instrument though, meaning I think that the sound/pitch/etc. of a given syllable is more important than what it means in English.

There is plenty of death metal that isn't about killing people and cannibalism though. All of Nile's stuff is about ancient Egypt. Who would have thought you could learn about the Middle Kingdom and rock out at the same time!

Death metal DEFINITELY sounds like random noise when you are first listening to it. I think this about a lot of death metal bands when I first start listening to them, until I 'understand' their style. It also all sounds the same at first. I wish I had better words to explain it. Once you listen to it enough you can pick out the patterns, discern the differences, etc. Its sort of like a puzzle that your subconscious works out. Sometimes it takes a VERY long time for it to work it out. I didn't 'understand' most of Cryptopsy's earlier albums until many repeated listenings (over the course of a couple of years).

Finally, I think niche genres of music in general that don't enjoy a lot of commercial success tend to have a higher percentage of quality material. The reason being that most of the bands are playing for the love of the music. You certainly aren't going to make a living touring around a country a couple of months per year playing for 250 people a night at a show that costs $15 to get into, while making albums that sell maybe 10,000 copies, which probably describes the vast majority of death metal bands. Therefore its very easy to find more music of that genre that is good.