Who is your favorite Jazz musician and what is your favorite song?

• Music
  • Thread starter BadgerBadger92
  • Start date
In summary, Jazz music is a genre of music that has always appealed to the author. His favorite musician and song is Herbie Hancock, and he also enjoys Weather Report, Heavy Weather, and Miles Davis albums. He has a broad and eclectic taste in music, and his favorite classical album is Beethoven's 9th Symphony.
BadgerBadger92
I have always liked Jazz music (and blues, electric blues to be particular)

Who is your favorite musician and song?

I’ve always liked Herbie Hancock, especially his song “Maiden Voyage.”

Likes difalcojr, pinball1970, Astronuc and 1 other person
Science news on Phys.org
The album Sketches of Spain

Likes difalcojr and Astronuc
The Koln Concert

Likes haushofer, Astronuc, BadgerBadger92 and 1 other person
Here’s another one from Herbie Hancock. It originally wasn’t by him, and I don’t know who originally wrote it, but this version is great

Frabjous said:
The Koln Concert

I didn’t listen to the whole thing due to its length, but based on what I heard the piano was beautiful.

Likes Frabjous
One of the few nice things about being in the military was meeting people from all over the country with infinite tastes in music. One of my barracks mates turned me on to this one:

Band: Weather Report
Album: Heavy Weather
Released: March 1977

• Love
Likes pinball1970, haushofer and Astronuc

From an alternative Universe where the Parker band moonlighted as Wall Street bond traders.

BadgerBadger92 said:
I played jazz trumpet in school*. The breadth/depth of my listening was pretty thin though, so it's a little obvious where I got this one:

I played first trumpet on that song, including the scripted solo (I can't improv) at 0:40. Later, Maynard Ferguson came to our high school and played it in concert. I'll admit he was a little better. :-p

But yeah, I like horn-heavy and poppy jazz. One of his albums I bought mixes jazz with disco and 80s pop. Another example (the disco is more pronounced in the studio version):

*Shout-out to my exceptional director:
https://thejazzsanctuary.com/peter-neu/

Last edited:
OmCheeto said:
One of the few nice things about being in the military was meeting people from all over the country with infinite tastes in music. One of my barracks mates turned me on to this one:

Band: Weather Report
Album: Heavy Weather
Released: March 1977

One of my first jazz albums. I had a collection of rock albums and a collection of jazz/Motown. Pat Metheny was a favorite, as were Michael Hedges (Aerial Boundaries), Eberhard Weber (Silent Feet), Al Dimeloa (various), Jean-Luc Ponty (various), George Benson (various), Chick Corea (Return to Forever and various), . . . , as well as many classic musicians like Miles Davis, Stanley Clark, Ornette Coleman, Wes Montgomery, and many others

Much later, I developed a collection of classical music. My dad bought my first album, Beethoven's 9th Symphony. The first album I bought myself - Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. :-p

Likes Klystron, pinball1970 and OmCheeto
I am not the biggest jazz connoisseur, but I enjoy it very much. Recently I have been lucky enough to meet a very nice gal from Haiti who just moved into my building, and she is big into the genre. We had developed a beautiful friendship over the past weeks, so I can anticipate many a soiree drinking good coffee and listening to some serious jazz sessions.

That said, I've been enjoying for years the outstanding finesse and excellence of Jacques Loussier, whom I consider one of the best players of his time. His interpretations of Bach (and other composers, of course, but Bach is the sole full-time owner of my heart) are highly virtuosic and enjoyable.

I don't know why some of the youtube videos don't allow embedding. It's so annoying :rolleyes:

Anyway, let's see this one:

Likes pinball1970
Here playing at the Thomaskirche, he was a frequent guest there. Mr. Loussier's playing of Bach is truly exquisite; I personally enjoy it much more than that of Gould.

Even if it isn't jazz per se, I believe it can belong here. This is a historical performance of Keith Jarrett and Chick Corea playing Mozart's Double Piano Concerto with the New Japan Philharmonic. Both Armando and Keith are spectacular, and this reading is no doubt my favorite one of this concert:

And a delightful encore:

Likes Astronuc
A favorite tune and classic piece - Miles Davis, So What?

Another classic - Dave Brubeck Quartet, Take Five

Likes difalcojr, SparkBird, DennisN and 1 other person
Astronuc said:
One of my first jazz albums. I had a collection of rock albums and a collection of jazz/Motown. Pat Metheny was a favorite, as were Michael Hedges (Aerial Boundaries), Eberhard Weber (Silent Feet), Al Dimeloa (various), Jean-Luc Ponty (various), George Benson (various), Chick Corea (Return to Forever and various), . . . , as well as many classic musicians like Miles Davis, Stanley Clark, Ornette Coleman, Wes Montgomery, and many others

Much later, I developed a collection of classical music. My dad bought my first album, Beethoven's 9th Symphony. The first album I bought myself - Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. :-p
In late 1973 in Boston I went to see Pat Metheny. He was still a student at Berklee but everyone knew he was Da Man. Dave Holland was supposed to be on bass but didn't show. Instead it was some guy with a weird name. After about a minute I knew this guy was the best electric bass player in the world. That was Jaco Pastorius. It may have been his first jazz appearance north of Florida.

Phil Lesh, bass player of the Grateful Dead, saw Jaco even earlier than that, playing with Wayne Cochrane and his CC Riders. Phil said he considered taking up some other instrument.

I still think In A Gadda Da Vida is great. It was a huge hit. Isn't it strange how they were never able to produce anything else of any worth at all? That's how it goes sometimes.

Likes Klystron, pinball1970 and Astronuc
BadgerBadger92 said:

I inherited a love for jazz from my rebellious mother.
I love Herbie Hancock, but my favourite musician is the vastly under-rated Charles Lloyd:

BadgerBadger92 said:

I inherited a love for jazz from my rebellious mother.
My favourite musician is the vastly-under-rated Charles Lloyd:

Astronuc said:
Michael Hedges
My GF and I saw him twice at the Palms in Davis, California. I held her while she cried after learning he was killed in a car crash. He was an amazing musician.

I discovered this on YT a few years ago looking for Buddy Rich. The trumpet solo is amazing, I did not know you could bend notes like that. Vibrato too, just amazing technique.

Likes difalcojr
Freyja said:
I don't know why some of the youtube videos don't allow embedding. It's so annoying :rolleyes:

Anyway, let's see this one:

Bach had to find a way in here somehow didn't he? ;) The piano playing is great. I'll admit I was not sure where they were going with it.
I thought they were going to use the piano as the intro then drift off but they actually use the chord structure. Clever but I am not sure about it!
I will have a few more listens.

Likes Freyja
russ_watters said:
I played jazz trumpet in school*. The breadth/depth of my listening was pretty thin though, so it's a little obvious where I got this one:

I played first trumpet on that song, including the scripted solo (I can't improv) at 0:40. Later, Maynard Ferguson came to our high school and played it in concert. I'll admit he was a little better. :-p

But yeah, I like horn-heavy and poppy jazz. One of his albums I bought mixes jazz with disco and 80s pop. Another example (the disco is more pronounced in the studio version):

*Shout-out to my exceptional director:
https://thejazzsanctuary.com/peter-neu/

He played with Buddy Rich? I think my Ex liked him, she was a trumpet player. Probably played me some stuff.

This is incredible. Pedersen on double bass looking on in amazement at what can only be described as a masterclass. Came across this via Rick Beato, a proper muso.

• Love
Likes difalcojr
pinball1970 said:
Bach had to find a way in here somehow didn't he? ;) The piano playing is great. I'll admit I was not sure where they were going with it.
I thought they were going to use the piano as the intro then drift off but they actually use the chord structure. Clever but I am not sure about it!
I will have a few more listens.
Of course! I just can't conceive anything music related without my spiritual Papa :heart:

But yes, Loussier is an extraordinary musician. I wasn't exaggerating when I said I prefer to listen to him rather than Gould (brilliant as he was, I can't stand his playing, and I would say that among Bach aficionados is a hit or miss, about 50/50).

Likes pinball1970

The ninja master of harmony.

Likes pinball1970
Probably my two favorite guitar solos, one fusion, the other bebop

• Love
Likes pinball1970 and Hornbein
Buddy again. Why is this so good? Technically not very easy. What is great is he seem to be able to create something for the sound.
The bass drum is nuts, this is 1974.

Likes difalcojr
BWV said:
Probably my two favorite guitar solos, one fusion, the other bebop

That Holdsworth solo is spectacular.

I saw him in 1982 and wasn't impressed. He got better.

Likes pinball1970
Hornbein said:
That Holdsworth solo is spectacular.

I saw him in 1982 and wasn't impressed. He got better.
Alan Holdsworth is fantastic. My favourite guitar player is Jan Ackerman from Focus, he went on to play this kind of freer Jazz.
For me the best combination of melody and techniques.

Likes BWV

The drummer is terrific.

• Wow
  • Love
Likes difalcojr and pinball1970
In the 1930's jazz was a big deal in east Asia. I went to a museum in Malaysia that had jazz era 78s. It's still popular in Japan. The stars usually have a jazz number in their live set.

There are a number of big bands and there are still jazz hit songs.

Still seeing the topic question as I visit the forum from day to day. Me, I do not like Jazz. But in contrast to this not liking Jazz, there are a few pieces accepted into Jazz which I find interesting, and even enjoyable to hear.

Consider something like the piece of music, "Canadian Sunset". Is this or is this not part of Jazz? "Moon River"? Jazz or not?

Likes pinball1970
symbolipoint said:
Still seeing the topic question as I visit the forum from day to day. Me, I do not like Jazz. But in contrast to this not liking Jazz, there are a few pieces accepted into Jazz which I find interesting, and even enjoyable to hear.

Consider something like the piece of music, "Canadian Sunset". Is this or is this not part of Jazz? "Moon River"? Jazz or not?
"Jazz" is one of those many words that hasn't got an agreed upon definition. Is Kenny G jazz? I don't worry about that. Here's my view for what it's worth. It's used to describe three movements that haven't got that much to do with one another. There's the original Dixie, swing jazz, then modern jazz. IMO modern jazz has more to do with Ravel and Debussy than Duke Ellington. Jazz was as its most popular during the swing era of the 1930's. Since it was most popular then, I go retro and say that that is the the "real" jazz. Big bands rule. It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing. Your mileage may vary.

Complicating the situation is that back in those days there wasn't much of a boundary between pop music and jazz. (My mother said the word "jazz" was unknown to her. They called it "Glenn Miller music.") It was very common to have a jazz version of a popular tune from a movie like Moon River. They weren't all that different except pop had strings while jazz relied on Adolph Sax's saxophone, and jazz was dance music so it had trap drums and a stronger beat.

Jazz lives on in Japan. There are jazz versions of popular tunes, hit songs, and so forth. This isn't done in the USA partly because the harmony and melody has grown so simple. You can't do a jazz version of rap. Also US jazz musicians won't accept anything newer than 1972. So the form doesn't grow anymore. You hear it on NPR from Sunday midnight to six am. That's it.

• Informative
Likes difalcojr
Hornbein, amazing discussion post #33.

We should not fuss about classifications of pieces as Jazz or not, or within Jazz (but sometimes we still do). Much more important is the subjective meaning & feel of the piece of music.

Likes BadgerBadger92

Paul Desmond : "they say my music sounds like a dry martini. I thought it was more like three dry martinis."

• Love
Likes pinball1970