My disk driver disabled abruptely

• Thread starter kthouz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disk
In summary, the speaker is experiencing an issue with their CD disk drive not appearing in the "my computer" window. They checked in driver manager and tried restarting their computer, but the issue persists. They are unsure if it is a virus or a system problem and are using AVG 8.00 as their antivirus. They mention their computer details and suggest that it could be a loose cable or outdated driver. They also suggest using a bootable CD to determine if it is a virus or a hardware issue.
kthouz
Hello,
I have a problem about my disk driver:
My CD disk driver doesn't appear in the "my computer" window. when i noted that error, I checked in driver manager but it didn't show any error. Then i got an idea to restart the computer and the disk driver appeared for a short time and re-disappeared suddenly after 4minutes.
Is that a virus? Or is that a system problem? if it is a virus, i don't why my antivirus can't find it. I use AVG 8.00.
Plz help me.
In case u need to know, my OS is Windows Vista Premium.
My computer is HP Pavilion dv6000 and the CD disk driver is "FIJITSU MHW2120BH ATA Device".

Computer science news on Phys.org
AVG is not that great. To tell if it is a virus, try to boot off a bootable CD. If it works, then it is a virus, otherwise it is probably a bad drive or bad or loose cable.

1. What could cause my disk driver to disable abruptly?

There are a few potential reasons for this issue. It could be due to a software issue, such as a corrupted driver or incompatible software. It could also be a hardware issue, such as a faulty disk drive or a loose connection. In some cases, a virus or malware could also be the cause.

2. How can I fix my disk driver if it has disabled abruptly?

The first step would be to try restarting your computer. If that doesn't work, you can try updating or reinstalling the driver for your disk drive. It's also a good idea to run a virus scan to check for any malicious software. If these steps don't work, it may be necessary to seek professional help or replace the disk drive.

3. Can I prevent my disk driver from disabling abruptly in the future?

In most cases, yes. Regularly updating your drivers and running virus scans can help prevent issues like this. It's also important to properly shut down your computer and avoid physically damaging the disk drive. Additionally, avoiding downloading suspicious software or clicking on unknown links can help prevent malware from causing issues.

4. How can I back up my data if my disk driver has disabled abruptly?

If you have access to another computer, you can try connecting the disabled disk drive to it and transferring the data. You can also try using data recovery software, although there is no guarantee it will be successful. It's always a good idea to regularly back up your important data to an external hard drive or cloud storage to avoid losing it in situations like this.

5. Is it possible for my disk driver to disable abruptly due to physical damage?

Yes, physical damage to the disk drive or its components can cause it to disable abruptly. This could be from dropping or mishandling the computer, or from wear and tear over time. It's important to handle your computer and its components with care to avoid physical damage.