Change of momentum of photon upon reflection

In summary, the change of momentum of a photon upon reflection is the difference in the photon's momentum before and after it is reflected off a surface. It is calculated using the formula Δp = 2p<sub>i</sub>cosθ, and can be affected by the angle of incidence, surface material, and wavelength of the photon. This concept is important in understanding the behavior of light and its interaction with matter. The change of momentum can be negative if the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle for the given surface material.
serverxeon
1. What is the change in momentum of a photon when it bounces off a mirror?
(assuming it's a perfect mirror)

My guess is that it's [tex]2h/\lambda[/tex]. But i think it should be more complex than this.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're guess is correct.

I suspect it was more than a guess, and that you are actually thinking about it correctly! :smile:

What is the change of momentum of a photon upon reflection?

The change of momentum of a photon upon reflection refers to the difference in the photon's momentum before and after it is reflected off a surface. This change in momentum is caused by the photon's interaction with the surface, resulting in a transfer of momentum between the two.

How is the change of momentum of a photon calculated?

The change of momentum of a photon can be calculated using the formula Δp = 2picosθ, where pi is the initial momentum of the photon and θ is the angle of incidence.

What factors affect the change of momentum of a photon upon reflection?

The change of momentum of a photon upon reflection can be affected by the angle of incidence, the surface material, and the wavelength of the photon. The angle of incidence and surface material determine the amount of momentum transferred, while the wavelength affects the direction of the reflected photon.

Why is the change of momentum of a photon upon reflection important?

The change of momentum of a photon upon reflection is important because it helps us understand the behavior of light and its interaction with matter. This concept is crucial in many fields such as optics, astronomy, and quantum mechanics.

Can the change of momentum of a photon upon reflection be negative?

Yes, the change of momentum of a photon upon reflection can be negative if the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle for the given surface material. In this case, the photon will be transmitted instead of being reflected, resulting in a negative change in momentum.