Understanding Eddy Currents: Causes, Effects, and Mitigation

In summary, eddy currents are caused by a changing flux of electric charge and are strongest when the conductor is moving through a non-uniform magnetic field. You can reduce the amount of eddy currents by cutting slots in the material.
DrDanger
Okay so i just want to make sure i got this right because its a kind of confusing topic for me. So eddy currents are caused because when there is a motion (with a conducting surface) through a magnetic field a current is induced? and because there is a current there is also a magnetic field due to that current which opposes the original magnetic field and causes it to slow down?! Also when people are generating electrical energy by rotating a square/circle loop through a magnetic field do eddy currents slow you down? also I realize by cutting slots and other means you can reduce eddy currents. Thanks for the answers, and i hope my question was clear

Physics news on Phys.org
You got it pretty much right. But the eddy currents are only induced in a conducting material if the magnetic field is changing with time, or if a conducting material is moving through a magnetic field that is non-uniform (fcn of x, y, z), or rotating in a constant magnetic field.

Last edited:
Bob S said:
You got it pretty much right. But the eddy currents are only induced in a conducting material if the magnetic field is changing with time, or if a conducting material is moving through a magnetic field that is non-uniform (fcn of x, y, z), or rotating in a constant magnetic field.
Why does the magnetic field have to be non-uniform?

DrDanger said:
Why does the magnetic field have to be non-uniform?

Because something has to change over time; if the conductor moves through a uniform magnetic field, it's functionally static.

negitron said:
Because something has to change over time; if the conductor moves through a uniform magnetic field, it's functionally static.
Ahh makes sense now its becuase there has to be a flux right?, but there is no such thing as a uniform magnetic field right? except inside solenoids, but even then its not exactly uniform right?

DrDanger said:
Ahh makes sense now its becuase there has to be a flux right?, but there is no such thing as a magnetic field right? except inside solenoids, but even then its not exactly uniform right?
The basis for eddy currents is the integral form of Faraday's Law

E dl = -(d/dt) ∫B·dA

where ∫dl is around the perimeter of surface A.

and J = σ E So
" Ahh makes sense now its becuase there has to be a changing flux right?" Note the d/dt in Faraday's law.

Bob S said:
The basis for eddy currents is the integral form of Faraday's Law

E dl = -(d/dt) ∫B·dA

where ∫dl is around the perimeter of surface A.

and J = σ E So
" Ahh makes sense now its becuase there has to be a changing flux right?" Note the d/dt in Faraday's law.

Thank you for the correction, and yes that is what I mean. Thanks for all the help guys, and the fast responses!

1. What are eddy currents?

Eddy currents are circular currents induced in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. They are also known as Foucault currents and can cause energy loss and heating in conductive materials.

2. How are eddy currents produced?

Eddy currents are produced when a conductor is exposed to a changing magnetic field, either by moving the conductor through a stationary magnetic field or by varying the magnetic field around a stationary conductor.

3. What causes the heating effect of eddy currents?

The heating effect of eddy currents is caused by the resistance of the conductor to the flow of electricity. As the eddy currents circulate within the conductor, they encounter resistance, which converts the electrical energy into heat.

4. How can eddy currents be minimized?

Eddy currents can be minimized by using materials with low electrical conductivity, such as laminated cores in transformers, or by using materials with high electrical resistance, such as ceramic or plastic coatings on conductors.

5. What are the practical applications of eddy currents?

Eddy currents have several practical applications, such as in electromagnetic braking systems, metal detectors, and induction heating. They are also used in non-destructive testing to detect flaws or defects in conductive materials.