Exploring the Independence of Branch Cut Placement in ln(-s^2-i\epsilon)

In summary, the expression ln(-s^2-i\epsilon) is often used in mathematics, with the branch cut of ln() usually placed on the negative real axis. However, this placement can result in different values above and below the axis. It is possible to move the branch cut to the positive real axis, but the correct branch must still be chosen. This choice can be determined by the i\varepsilon term, and it is important in order for the function to be single-valued.
RedX
In the expression [tex] ln(-s^2-i\epsilon) [/tex], [tex]s^2[/tex] and [tex]\epsilon[/tex] are positive (this expression can result from for example a loop diagram where [tex]s^2[/tex] is a Mandelstam variable). In mathematics, the branch cut of ln() is usually taken to be the negative real axis, so that the value above the negative axis differs from the value below the negative axis by [tex]2\pi i[/tex].

But shouldn't the physical result be independent of where you place the branch cut? If you place it on the positive real axis, then [tex] ln(-s^2-i\epsilon) [/tex] has the same value as [tex] ln(-s^2+i\epsilon) [/tex].

Physics news on Phys.org
RedX said:
In the expression [tex] ln(-s^2-i\epsilon) [/tex], [tex]s^2[/tex] and [tex]\epsilon[/tex] are positive (this expression can result from for example a loop diagram where [tex]s^2[/tex] is a Mandelstam variable). In mathematics, the branch cut of ln() is usually taken to be the negative real axis, so that the value above the negative axis differs from the value below the negative axis by [tex]2\pi i[/tex].

But shouldn't the physical result be independent of where you place the branch cut? If you place it on the positive real axis, then [tex] ln(-s^2-i\epsilon) [/tex] has the same value as [tex] ln(-s^2+i\epsilon) [/tex].

The [itex]i\varepsilon[/itex] part is telling you which branch to use. Yes, you can move the branch cut to the real axis, but you still have to choose the correct branch (i.e., do you have [itex]\ln e = 1[/itex] or [itex]\ln e = 1 + 2\pi i[/itex], etc.).

Ben Niehoff said:
The [itex]i\varepsilon[/itex] part is telling you which branch to use. Yes, you can move the branch cut to the real axis, but you still have to choose the correct branch (i.e., do you have [itex]\ln e = 1[/itex] or [itex]\ln e = 1 + 2\pi i[/itex], etc.).

How are you supposed to know which branch of the function to choose? Physically, does it matter if argument is [tex]\theta[/tex] or [tex]\theta+2\pi[/tex]? Separating a function into branches seems to me a mathematical convenience, to get the function to be single-valued.

1. What is the purpose of exploring the independence of branch cut placement in ln(-s^2-i\epsilon)?

The purpose of this exploration is to better understand the behavior and properties of the natural logarithm function when the argument is a complex number. In particular, we are interested in how the placement of the branch cut affects the values and properties of the function.

2. What is a branch cut in complex analysis?

A branch cut is a line or curve on the complex plane where the function is not analytic. This means that the function is not differentiable at points on the branch cut, and therefore cannot be expanded as a Taylor series. In the case of ln(-s^2-i\epsilon), the branch cut is often placed along the negative real axis.

3. How does the placement of the branch cut affect the values of ln(-s^2-i\epsilon)?

The placement of the branch cut can significantly affect the values of ln(-s^2-i\epsilon). For example, if the branch cut is placed along the negative real axis, the function will have a discontinuity at this point and will take on different values depending on which side of the branch cut the argument falls on. This can lead to different results and interpretations of ln(-s^2-i\epsilon) depending on the placement of the branch cut.

4. What are the implications of exploring the independence of branch cut placement?

Exploring the independence of branch cut placement can have important implications for the use and interpretation of the natural logarithm function in complex analysis. It can also lead to a better understanding of other functions that have branch cuts and their behavior in different regions of the complex plane.

5. What are possible future research directions in the study of branch cut placement in ln(-s^2-i\epsilon)?

Possible future research directions could include further exploring the behavior of ln(-s^2-i\epsilon) in different regions of the complex plane, investigating the effects of placing multiple branch cuts, and examining the relationship between branch cut placement and other properties of the function. Additionally, this exploration could inspire similar studies on other functions with branch cuts in complex analysis.