Lorentz transformation: time dilation

In summary, the problem presents a scenario in which relativistic protons with a speed "v" are selected using two detectors separated by a distance "L". A coincidence circuit is created by delaying the pulse from the first detector by an amount L/v, and the signals from both detectors are fed into a logic circuit. The goal is to calculate the time difference between arrival of the input pulses in the rest frame of the proton. Using the time dilation equation, it is found that in the frame of the proton, time elapses faster than in the lab frame, and the length L is contracted by a factor of (1-v^2/c^2)^{1/2}. This results in both observers agreeing on the speed of the proton
Eric_meyers
1.) problem statement
Relativistic protons that have a certain speed "v" are selected by measuring the time it takes the proton to travel between two detectors separated by a distance "L". Each detector produces an electronic pulse of very short duration (LaTeX Code: \\Delta t << L/v) when a proton passes through it. A coincidence circuit is made by delaying the pulse from the first detector by an amount L/v. The signals from the two detectors are fed into a logic circuit that produces an output pulse if the pulses arrive at the same time. For input pulses that arrive at the same time as measured in the laboratory frame, calculate the time difference between arrival of the input pulses as measured in the rest frame of the proton.

2. Homework Equations
LaTeX Code: \\Delta t = LaTeX Code: \\Delta t'/ (1-v^2/c^2)^1/2 where LaTeX Code: \\Delta t' is the time elapsed in reference frame of moving particle.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I take the LaTeX Code: \\Delta t elapsed in the reference frame of the lab to = L/v

So my question is, when I switch to the frame of the proton - the length of the path it travels is now moving towards it - do I have to do a length contraction ?? Or will my time dilation equation take this into account?

I got:

(delta) t (proton) = 1/(1-v^2/c^2)^1/2 L/v

just solving the time dilation equation in the reference frame of the proton seeing the apparatus moving towards it. (Thus the time in the lab is ticking slower relative to the proton's frame.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Eric_meyers said:
1.) problem statement
Relativistic protons that have a certain speed "v" are selected by measuring the time it takes the proton to travel between two detectors separated by a distance "L". Each detector produces an electronic pulse of very short duration (LaTeX Code: \\Delta t << L/v) when a proton passes through it. A coincidence circuit is made by delaying the pulse from the first detector by an amount L/v. The signals from the two detectors are fed into a logic circuit that produces an output pulse if the pulses arrive at the same time. For input pulses that arrive at the same time as measured in the laboratory frame, calculate the time difference between arrival of the input pulses as measured in the rest frame of the proton.

2. Homework Equations
LaTeX Code: \\Delta t = LaTeX Code: \\Delta t'/ (1-v^2/c^2)^1/2 where LaTeX Code: \\Delta t' is the time elapsed in reference frame of moving particle.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I take the LaTeX Code: \\Delta t elapsed in the reference frame of the lab to = L/v

So my question is, when I switch to the frame of the proton - the length of the path it travels is now moving towards it - do I have to do a length contraction ?? Or will my time dilation equation take this into account?

I got:

(delta) t (proton) = 1/(1-v^2/c^2)^1/2 L/v

just solving the time dilation equation in the reference frame of the proton seeing the apparatus moving towards it. (Thus the time in the lab is ticking slower relative to the proton's frame.)

In the rest frame of proton, the distance L would be contracted because L is measured by an observer in the lab. So in the frame of moving particle we have:

In the frame of proton: [tex]L'=(1-v^2/c^2)^{1/2} L[/tex] and thus

[tex]Delta t' = (1-v^2/c^2)^{1/2} \Delta t =(1-v^2/c^2)^{1/2}(1-v^2/c^2)^{1/2} L/v= (1-v^2/c^2) L/v[/tex].

Thus in the frame of the moving proton time elapses faster than in the frame of lab relative to it or similarly time for an observer in the lab ticks slower relative to the proton's frame.

AB

I think the wording of the problem is unclear, or it's a trick question.

If the logic circuit produces a pulse in the rest frame, it will produce one in the proton's frame. Therefore...

vela said:
I think the wording of the problem is unclear, or it's a trick question.

If the logic circuit produces a pulse in the rest frame, it will produce one in the proton's frame. Therefore...

I took for granted that the pulses are of the same nature in any frame but affected by the frame-rigged system of SR!

If my assumption is true, what do you say about my calculation vela!?

AB

Last edited:
I think you calculated the lab frame [itex]\Delta t[/itex] incorrectly. It should just be L/v, right?

vela said:
I think you calculated the lab frame [itex]\Delta t[/itex] incorrectly. It should just be L/v, right?

But isn't it measured by an observer in the lab? Remember that we want to calculate quantities from proton's view point, right? The proton has no information about the [tex]\Delta t [/tex] that the observer in the lab measures. So in proton's frame, the lab's L/v must be contracted, right?

AB

In the lab frame, the time [itex]\Delta t[/itex] is the uncontracted distance divided by the proton's speed, so [itex]\Delta t=L/v[/itex]. [itex]\Delta t[/itex] should only depend on what's measured in the lab frame. You used the length in the proton's frame and divided it by the time as measured in the proton's frame.

In the proton's frame, the length is contracted to [itex]L' = L/\gamma[/itex], but time is dilated so [itex]\Delta t'=\Delta t/\gamma[/itex]. These two effects offset each other perfectly so that both observers agree on the proton's speed, [itex]L'/\Delta t' = L/\Delta t = v[/itex].

vela said:
In the lab frame, the time [itex]\Delta t[/itex] is the uncontracted distance divided by the proton's speed, so [itex]\Delta t=L/v[/itex]. [itex]\Delta t[/itex] should only depend on what's measured in the lab frame. You used the length in the proton's frame and divided it by the time as measured in the proton's frame.

In the proton's frame, the length is contracted to [itex]L' = L/\gamma[/itex], but time is dilated so [itex]\Delta t'=\Delta t/\gamma[/itex]. These two effects offset each other perfectly so that both observers agree on the proton's speed, [itex]L'/\Delta t' = L/\Delta t = v[/itex].

Yup, I got you now!

Thanks for teaching me something really profound!

What is a Lorentz transformation?

A Lorentz transformation is a mathematical formula used in the theory of relativity to describe the relationship between space and time in different reference frames. It was developed by Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz in the late 19th century.

How does a Lorentz transformation explain time dilation?

According to the theory of relativity, time is not absolute and can be affected by the relative motion of an object. A Lorentz transformation shows how time appears to pass differently for observers in different reference frames, resulting in the phenomenon of time dilation.

Can you provide an example of time dilation using a Lorentz transformation?

One example of time dilation is the famous "twin paradox." In this scenario, one twin travels through space at near-light speed while the other stays on Earth. According to a Lorentz transformation, the twin in space will experience time at a slower rate compared to the twin on Earth, resulting in a significant age difference between the two when they are reunited.

What is the equation for a Lorentz transformation?

The equation for a Lorentz transformation is t' = γ(t - vx/c^2), where t' is the time in the moving reference frame, t is the time in the stationary reference frame, v is the relative velocity between the two frames, c is the speed of light, and γ is the Lorentz factor, which is equal to 1/√(1 - v^2/c^2).

How does a Lorentz transformation affect other physical quantities besides time?

In addition to time dilation, a Lorentz transformation can also affect other physical quantities such as length contraction and mass dilation. These effects are due to the fact that space and time are interconnected and change simultaneously in different reference frames.